Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Boxman posted:

I have no idea if this is the right thread, but here goes.

I'm probably gonna get AT&T u-verse sometime soon, and I'd really like to avoid paying $100 for the crappy wireless router/modem that they want me to buy. I know very little about the service from a technical perspective; would a dsl modem get the job done? And if a dsl modem will work, is there a commonly recommended one? Alternatively, is the a decent source to avoid going through them?

EDIT: I just realized this was a question that was asked and dodged in the OP. still, hopefully someone can help. :shobon:

You have to use their kit. I had it installed a few months ago, and it consists of a NID box outside your house wired with cat5/6 to a router AND battery backup inside (for voip). The router communicates with the NID and allows for some configuration of it, and it also acts as your wireless access point. It is not off-the-shelf DSL and I would LOL at trying to get AT&T to support anything else.

Having said all that, it is possible to disable all the routing/wifi of the device and have it pass your external IP through DNS to your router (so it acts as a modem, basically), so you can effectively ignore the AT&T equipment.

18mbit up/2mbit down sure beats the DSL AT&T will sell you for the same price!

ps. There are different types of u-verse installations depending on the specific equipment used in your area so all this info might be irrelevant to you! Check the dslreports forums for your area/u-verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Trap Star posted:

alright, need some assistance with my wifi router. I haven't been paying very close attention to my bills but it seems like last month I was way over my allotment despite barely downloading anything. I'm pretty sure my router is giving off a free wifi signal, though I don't know where the hell the setting is.

It's a d-link router. I've got my WPA wifi signal working fine but there's also a generic "dlink" signal in the list that I think is coming from my router, pretty sure it wasn't there before I had my internet installed, but playing around my router settings I can't find anything that's indicating there's a public signal.

Anybody else had this issue? Any tips/things I should look at? I did check the MAC address list but the only things connected at the moment were my devices, though that makes sense because it was the MAC filter list for the secured wifi signal and not the unsecured one, right? Thanks in advance goons.

Unplug your router and see if dlink good away. I bet it doesn't.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I bought a D-Link DIR-315 rev. A1 today at a yard sale for $2. It works fine, but after a bit of googling my hope that an open source rom can be put on here is dwindling. Can anyone confirm/deny absolutely for me?

http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-615_rev_A1 suggests that it uses all Marvell chips. I have confirm that the rev B2 is definitely not supported because it uses a ubicom cpu, but beyond stating that the B2 won't work, everyone seems to fail to mention the A1.

I am just going to use it as a wireless access point and I am happy regardless as we only have a G network at the moment, but I would love to not have to use the stock firmware.

edit: Also, it comes with the 1.00 firmware, and trying to flash the 1.10 firmware from the d-link site just gives a generic "failed" error and resets the device. Any ideas? I have downloaded the file twice and received the same checksum each time (though d-link doesn't tell me what it should be).

other people fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 15, 2012

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am working with a sprawling house that has a single Linksys E2500 at one end that is providing terrible wireless coverage. I was going to buy another E2500 spread things out, but then I figure two wrongs don't make a right.

Is there an access point from Ubiquiti or Mikrotik etc. someone can recommend that will slather this area with signal?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
If I want a four or eight port unmanaged switch, is there a recommended brand or model these days? And what about managed, just for fun?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Time Warner Cable NC for some reason installed a new cable modem for my parents. I do not know the model number, but the brand is Arris. Since it has been installed, I can no longer SSH to their system.

The TWC guy kindly put the modem into bridge mode and turned off the wifi of the device since there is an existing router/ap in their home. The router is running dd-wrt and there is a very simple port forward from port 54321 to port 22 of their system.

I have verified the port forward is correct, their system LAN IP is still the same (static), and can plainly see from a packet capture taken on their system that when I ssh or telnet to port 54321 from the WAN side that the packets never make it to their system.

I telnet'd into the dd-wrt and can see the port forward iptables rules. They have never been triggered (counters are zero), so I can only assume the packets are lost/discarded at or before the Arris. I was able to locate the web GUI address and log in for this Arris thing but there is really very little in here. I cannot see any reason it would be discarding these packets. It is clearly in bridge mode so wtf >:(.

I can ping their WAN IP (only after disabling some silly filter in dd-wrt) so this makes me believe the Arris is at least correctly forwarding most of the traffic to the dd-wrt router. I suppose the iptables chains on the dd-wrt but it is stock except for the single port forward I added via the GUI...

Any ideas here???

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

flosofl posted:

Have you tried 22 directly? And is there any reason you are using port forwarding? Is it a technical restriction or "security".

The cable modem is basically a layer 2 device at this point so it won't do anything to IP packets. Have you checked to see if the firewall is discarding packets? Run a trace route?

Regardless of whether netfilter/iptables is running on the server, the incoming SYN packets will be visible in a packet capture and they are definitely not there.

I have not tried forwarding port 22 directly through to 22 on the server but I'll give it a go the next time I am there. I would think there is a greater chance TWC is blocking a "known" port such as 22 versus the random port I chose. While I am not opposed to using port 22 on the outside, it is nice to use some random ephemeral port as it cuts down on the login attempts from strange places :p.

I am not sure I understand the question about port forwarding. Since the router is doing NAT, you have to set up some type of forward so it knows to allow WAN packets to the specified port to pass through and to which LAN IP/port to NAT/forward them to... in dd-wrt this is called port forwarding. Unless there is somewhere else in dd-wrt I should be setting this up? I admit this is my first time using dd-wrt.

socialsecurity posted:

Time Warner modems in NC have been blocking all sorts of stuff lately, even PPTP VPN which has been a huge pain for our customers trying to VPN in from home we have been having to DMZ them it's stupid.

Ugh, I really hope that is not it as it would be impossible to prove or avoid. I am hoping I am the idiot here and have just missed something obvious. I have TWC NC at my home and while I have a different type of cable modem and router, I have a random port opened and forwarded to 22 on my server and it works just fine. This is the main reason I am convinced that I've done something dumb on the router or have missed some option on their weird cable modem....

I suppose I could stick a switch between the cable modem and router and do some port-mirroring crap to verify whether the incoming SSH packet is there, but that is definitely going to be a pain in the rear end to set up! I wish dd-wrt had tcpdump on it :( :( :(

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a Ubiquiti Dream machine that works fine but it is stuck at one end of a long apartment and the wifi coverage at the other end is poo poo. Even the interior walls here are brick so running ethernet anywhere is a no-go for me.

I'd like to add an AP near the other end of the apartment and I am not sure how to go about it.

https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-ap-6-lite €100
https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-6-long-range-access-point-1 €181
https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-ap6-professional (sold out) €150
https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/access-point-wifi-6-mesh (sold out) €181

I *think* any of the above would work. They can all create a "mesh" with the UDM, right? I don't need blazing fast speed or fancy features so I think I should go with the AP 6 Lite. Tell me why I am wrong.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

other people posted:

I have a Ubiquiti Dream machine that works fine but it is stuck at one end of a long apartment and the wifi coverage at the other end is poo poo. Even the interior walls here are brick so running ethernet anywhere is a no-go for me.

I'd like to add an AP near the other end of the apartment and I am not sure how to go about it.

https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-ap-6-lite €100
https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-6-long-range-access-point-1 €181
https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-ap6-professional (sold out) €150
https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/access-point-wifi-6-mesh (sold out) €181

I *think* any of the above would work. They can all create a "mesh" with the UDM, right? I don't need blazing fast speed or fancy features so I think I should go with the AP 6 Lite. Tell me why I am wrong.

Today I noticed this which I swear was not listed before. It is exactly what I was imagining so one is now on the way.

https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/access-point-wifi-6-extender

Now I dont have to deal with some goofy POE injector.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Partycat posted:

A van and a drill aren’t qualifications .

Tell that to ur mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
You leave them on the floor??? :ughh:

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/cable-risers/