Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most(all?) of the new Linksys models incompatible with Tomato? I currently have a gimped DD-WRT and am looking to upgrade to a new router from my WRT54G2. From what I've read, Tomato is overall a lot more stable/solid while DD-WRT varies between firmware versions/who programs it/etc.

Is there any reason to buy the shiniest new Linksys out there?

Currently looking at a used/refurbished E3000 if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Does anyone know of a detailed guide to setting up the Ubiquiti nanostations mentioned in the OP?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Ever since installing the gimped version of DD-WRT on my WRT54G2, my wireless has been flaky, to say the least. It's been going in and out every so often and hasn't been that reliable.

I've read that the quality of the DD-WRT builds vary each revision depending on who makes them and whatnot. Are there any routers out there(besides the Airport Extreme) who have reliable/awesome stock firmware?

I've heard good things about tomato vs DD-WRT but I'd rather not purchase a router, flash it and be left with another unstable firmware.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

poxin posted:

I've got a wndr3700v2 that I don't use if you want to pick one up. Used it for 3 days, bought new on Amazon.

How much do you want for it shipped? You can set up an SA Mart post if you want to make it official or within the rules(?).

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

They come with a setup guide. What part are you having problems with?

Edit regarding Ubiquiti issues: said screw putting it in router mode and just did bridge mode.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 2, 2012

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Kind of one of those 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' questions, but I have a chance to aquire an Airport Extreme 2011. My friend is moving to Europe due to a job and is willing to sell his AE for ~$130ish.

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G2 running a gimped version of DD-WRT without any issues for the past 3 years or so. Obviously it would be nice to have N speeds or the greater gain the AE produces. However, I haven't had any need so far to upgrade. I live in a 1 bedroom, my HTPC is wired w/ CAT-6, and wireless has been a non-issue.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

From the OP, which router has the greatest range and signal strength?

My friend needs a new router for his house. It's 3 stories, with an old netgear on the 2nd floor. It currently reaches both the 1st and 3rd floors but drops out occasionally during browsing.

I'd rather go for something consumer grade from the OP vs have the trouble of helping him with a Ubiquiti Unifi setup or the like.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Geektox posted:

Hmm, the labels on the patch panel more less matches the labels on the middle cable bunble, and both go right into the wall, so I'm not really sure where it's going? Is there a good way to tell?

Assuming that it is a networking thing and it works as intended, where would I put the modem? Just grab one of the free coax cables in the box and plug that in?

FWIW, our friend asked me advice about replacing the router in their 3 story home recently. I eventually installed a RT-N66U for them. RSSI readings went from -50-70 down to -30-40 on the 3rd and 1st floors with the N66U located on the 2nd. Might be worth a shot if you don't want the hassle of running APs all over.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Silly networking question but I've never worked with it before. Can you network a WiFi connection like a hardwired one? For example, I have a Comcast modem-->Router-->NAS/HTPC/etc currently. The new building I'm moving into has about 10mbps Wifi down for free, even in your apartment, so slower speeds for a $70/month savings. I could care less about internet speeds, just so that I can keep my Router-->NAS/HTPC hardwired with ethernet when I watch movies or TV. Can I pull the Wifi and distribute it/keep my same network setup as before?

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 12, 2014

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My Airport Extreme (5th Gen, latest firmware) has been giving me slow as hell speeds lately. My connection is rated at 120mbps DL/12.5mbps UL and I've been getting 40mbps DL wired, 1-2mbps DL wireless with normal UL speeds. I figured it was just Comcast throttling or network congestion at first.

Finally ordered a refurbished RT-N66U from Amazon and was pleasantly surprised with an RT-AC66U. Repeated the tests on the Extreme with the same results. Swapped it out for the AC66U, updated to the latest Asus firmware and both wired/wireless were at my rated speeds.

I tried different channels, 5GHz, N only, etc to no avail. I'm guessing the Extreme is on its way out?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Is it worth it anymore to flash your router? What it seems like, most of Tomato and its forks have been abandoned. I currently have an Asus RT-AC66U on the latest stock firmware.

I flashed my old WRT54G years ago because it was cheap and DD-WRT was light years ahead. Doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 21, 2015

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

For the those of you that use the UniFi APs(especially in different rooms), how exactly do you run your CAT6a from your router? Through the wall/ceiling and have a drop so you can mount it on the ceiling?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm guessing its not worth the cost/benefit ratio to upgrade from an AC66U to a dedicated Ubiquiti AP and router? (I live in a small apartment)

I purchased a couple of LOCO M2s a few years back to extend our WiFi range to a patio outdoors and the results were phenomenal.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm looking to fix my parent's WiFi situation since they're running some Netgear from the dark ages. 2700 sq ft house, so I'm going to go with the EdgerouterX and Unfi AP Lite, which *should* do the trick. I've set up Ubiquiti products before, so it shouldn't be that hard to stash them in a central closet after being set up.

However, using the Lite's POE to power the router, I'm having trouble visualizing it. Do you only use one port on the POE block? Or connect the modem to the LAN port, and POE port to the Edge?

Modem-->Lan Port POE Block-->POE Port on Edge-->POE Port on Edge-->Lite AP

Also, if one Lite wasn't enough, it shouldn't be hard to use powerline adapters from the edge and set up another Lite from the endpoint, correct?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

So my ISP is rolling out overage charges in my area. Are there any firmwares with a running 30-day counter of data usage, that can impose rate limiting when the cap is reached? Rate limiting sucks, but overage charges suck worse.

Same, Comcast starts 1TB caps November 1st in my area unless you pay an extra $50/month. Currently using the AC66U with the Merlin firmware to monitor bandwidth but it lacks features that I'm looking for. Looking for more in depth bandwidth monitoring, limiting, QoS, using official firmware.

I'm thinking about going with the ER-X and a UAP-AC-Lite combo since Ubiquiti typically has a great feature set.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd also note that how they measure traffic can differ from you measuring at your router. Be careful if you're trying to run right to the limit, guys.

Any way you can be more specific about that? I thought if you were measuring WAN-only traffic and not anything internal, it should be accurate, no?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm having trouble powering my Edgerouter X with POE from my Unifi AC Lite. I've turned on POE in eth4, and configured everything correctly as far as I can tell.

Now, if I set them up the 'proper' way, with the 12V charger powering the Edgerouter X, and the 24V POE with the Unifi Lite, everything works entirely smooth. However, trying to even power the Edgerouter with the 24V won't even make the unit turn on.

Modem Cat6-->LAN Input of POE adaptor
POE slot Cat6 on POE adaptor-->eth0 of Edgerouter

Still no signs of life, let alone trying to plug the Unifi into eth4.

Could something be faulty or am I missing something?

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 22, 2016

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Family is completely happy with Edgerouter X + Unifi AC Lite combo I set them up with. No constant power cycling of their old Linksys E1000 and ~75-80% strength 5GHz throughout their 2500 sq/ft home.

I was even able to get 2/3 bars on my iPhone, I'm guessing on the 2.4 GHz band, 30 meters down our driveway.

Set the router up for remote access and the controller up via Digital Ocean, so I can manage everything remotely.

Pretty awesome but it can take a bit of troubleshooting even with networking knowledge.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

So is the correct answer if we see firmware updates, is to wait and see what the general consensus is first?

It makes sense on my end, since I manage my parent's Unifi and ERX remotely from 3K miles away.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Any Synology guys able to help me out?

I have the VPN server setup with OpenVPN and it works great. I can connect to my router (192.168.1.xxx) great and other stuff via local LAN IP. The problem is trying to access things via SMB or AFP. When at home on the same network, I can connect via just fine, however when connected via VPN, complete problems with either protocol or even directly to the share itself.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

n.. posted:

i wouldn't count on it just showing up in the shared list over VPN. try to cmd-k in finder and connect directly by IP (smb://192.168.1.x)

That worked! Thank you so much!

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, EdgeRouter Lite would work. That's what I use with CenturyLink fiber. I also set up a Unifi Secure Gateway for another friend that just got fiber and was super impressed with that as well.

What did you find impressive with the gateway vs the edgerouter other than being able to interface it all using the controller software? I'll admit, that's what got me interested as well but most of the Q1-Q2 Amazon reviews from this year with any tech semblance behind them seem to indicate that it's feature limited and seems to have been released too early/beta mode vs the ER.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I might just swap that out for my parents when I'm home for Christmas later on this year and take the ER-X. Granted, I'm doing updates for the ER-X remotely and the controller software for the UAP is on a VPS but having everything consolidated IF things go wrong would be nice.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My 'AM JRU10C035' from Comcast seems to have fallen off the back of a truck somewhere. Never charged for a rental since I moved in 3 years ago. :shrug:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

It is excellent for traffic monitoring and having 'always-on' access to your system. I run the controller software on a VPS since I cheaped out on the CloudKey. If its worth $80 to you, go for it.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

It looks like my RT-AC66U might be starting to die after some Google-Fu & troubleshooting.

The last month or so, my wireless devices will have entirely poor connectivity, to the point where I have to restart the router, where the issue where (usually) resolve itself, possibly for a few hours.

I live in a 500 sq/ft studio, which has never been an issue before, plus wired tests from my desktop (at the time of said slow downs) show normal speeds.

Plus, there seems to be excessive heat coming from it to the touch, despite having adequate airflow. It, along with the modem and a small Synology, are placed on the lower level of this VEJMON.

Any other tests I can do before going the Ubiquiti route? This was purchased as an Amazon Warehouse Deal in Oct 2015, but you'd think it would last me longer than that...

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Sorry to interrupt #homecablingchat but I was wondering if anyone had ideas as to my router issues above.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Looking for Comcast modem recommendations from the approved list for a 100/5 connection.

I'm surprised I managed to get by for 3.5 years without getting charged, so I won't complain. I'm currently on a 100/5 plan, no voice and don't plan on going any higher due to A) 1TB Data Cap and B)Upload tops out at 20Mbps in my area. That might change a year from now when I move, so should I buy a 'faster' modem now, or just a cheap/refurbished stopgap for now?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Platystemon posted:

A mistake?

Or a stealth bill increase?

Mistake...it was their modem that was provided, just never added to my account (probably by the tech that installed it). I'm guessing during an audit, they found that out via MAC address or some other way. No idea, since I don't know anyone that works for them.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm moving into a new apartment complex next month which offers 1Gbit Up/Down via Fiber, so I'm guessing that I'll have to upgrade my current router unless the tests prove otherwise.

Currently using:

- RT-AC66U flashed with the latest Merlin
- TP-Link TL-SG1008D purchased in 2013 for extra ports

To reach full gigabit speed along with AP, I'm guessing I'll need,

- Edgerouter Lite
- Ubiquiti Unifi AC Lite

It seems that the Edgerouter X doesn't have the CPU power for proper Gbit but the Edgerouter Lite does not do PoE for the Unifi unit.

Also, reviews for the Edgerouter Lite suggest there is a 'notable performance penalty for bridging the two "LAN" ports' and would be 'better served to simply leave one of the 3 ports unused, and simply connect a properly sized gigabit switch to the desired LAN port to avoid this performance penalty'

Anyone with experience in similar situations feel free to chime in. Also, suggestions where and how goons have mounted their Unifi APs are welcome. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Any suggestions for a WiFi extender or anything of the sort?

My office was recently moved to an area that receives signals from both public and internal WiFi networks. Internal doesn't matter because we're hardwired but external (public) WiFi is dropping out at least 75% of the time and requires a renewal of DHCP lease splash page every 4.5 hours. Its cleared with my supervisor and OI&T, but I'm not sure if there is anything that could extend the signal.

This is mainly for iPads streaming CNN or other news agencies but its not 'essential'.

Any ideas?