Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
My sister is going to get a new ADSL connection after getting gouged by her cable company for a long time. The service provider that she has chosen requires here to purchase a modem from them or get one herself. The provider is going to nail her for 99.99 CDN for a D-Link 514 which from what I can gether is an old shitbox that sucks.

The routers posted in the OP all seem to be routers only unlike the DI-514 which is a modem with a built in networking capabilities. Or I could just be stupid wrong becuase I don't know much about networking? It seems the case since in the modem subsection its stated that the poster has not much info there.

Are there any goon quick picks for a solid, reliable modem with built in wireless router functionality if the ones in the OP won't do it?

She will be using it mainly to connect to her iMac and her her boyfriend has a PS3 which he games on. Would perfer a solid product that can let her torrent in peace while her boyfriend games simultaneously if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I am wondering if anyone has ever come across this issue before regarding a wireless network and a tablet that connects over it.

My roommate recently got a new fancy tablet of somesort and whenever he seems to use it for anything that requires data, it kills my wifi netork to the point where playing games is impossible with pings shooting up into over a second. Have narrowed it down to his tablet because he can stream videos etc on his computer which has a hardline to the modem/router just fine and it doesn't affect anyone's gaming but the moment the tablet is active doing anything, the wifi network becomes almost unusable.

modem/router model is SMCD3GN if it matters.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Maneki Neko posted:

What's the tablet?

Nexsus 7