Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
edit: wrong thread, i'm an idiot

buildmorefarms fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
I'm in the (un?)enviable position of building a new home, and want to do the network thing right the first time - I'm sure I'll gently caress something up due to oversight.

I'm expecting to have the following hardwired devices:
- 1 Fibre modem
- 1 NAS
- 1 Printer
- 4 PCs
- 1 DVR security system
- 4 PoE security cameras
- 3 entertainment/home theatre locations (somewhere between 1 and 4 ports per)

From reading the thread along with the OP, I think I'm looking at the following:

- 1 EdgeRouter X
- 1 EdgeSwitch 24 port PoE
- 1 Unifi AC Lite (the house is a 2 storey, with a floor area of 360sqm, or ~3900sqft, and edit: the wifi unit will be mounted centrally)

I've gone with PoE to accommodate the security cameras and the Unifi AP; my reasoning for the managed switch is solely to identify if a particular device is hogging/flooding the internet connection - is this overkill? If so, I'll just look for an unmanaged PoE switch if they exist.

Have I missed the mark somewhere along the line?

buildmorefarms fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 27, 2017

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
Excellent - I'm due to meet our cabling company person/whatever in a weeks' time, so I'll find out what my conduit options are.

Thanks!

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Ynglaur posted:

I built a new home last summer, also 2 story and of similar size.

Thanks for this, the "I did this just recently" experience is invaluable. An upgrade to the AC Pro looks like the way to go, and if it's still not enough for the yard I can look to mesh another Lite or similar.

Your point about the cost-effectiveness of doubling up is an interesting one; with the ER-X and the ES-24port, I'll have something near ~30 ports for use, so it'd be a waste not having them all go somewhere.