Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.
I'm not sure if this is a better fit here or the Cisco thread, I figure I'll try here first and see what I get. I currently have two WAN connections at my house, the primary being 400mbps/20mbps cable from Spectrum and the secondary being 18mbps/2mbps DSL from AT&T Uverse. I've got them configured as a failover deployment terminating into an EdgeRouter-X. The failover works wonderfully and all of my IPv4 routing is solid. Here's a quick snapshot of my network as it stands:

Beyond the Edgerouter, the three remaining wireless routers are various makes and models all running OpenWrt, alongside the AP in the lower left also running OpenWrt.

As it stands, wireless functionality and IPv4 routing are working great, failover works as designed. Problem is, IPv6 is giving me a workover and a half. Before I installed the Edgerouter, the Spectrum WAN terminated into a TP-Link Archer C7 V2 and DHCPv6-PD delegation as well as subdelegation worked astoundingly. All subnets on my network were dynamically addressed as the prefix delegation changed from Spectrum. Unfortunately, the router seemingly could not handle MWAN3 for failover and would freeze it's traffic when failed, not coming back online without a reboot. Due to this, I installed the Edgerouter and was able to make the failover functional at the cost of breaking DHCPv6-PD.

Here's a quick sketchup of what I'm trying to achieve:

As you can see, I want the EdgeRouter ( or whatever device I need to put in place of the EdgeRouter) to take the /56 delegation from Spectrum, use the first /64 to assign it's local LAN interface and any connected devices (this part works to some extent - it doesn't release and renew the PD and addressing automatically, so it breaks without me knowing it) then take a chunk - in this case, a /57 - to subdelegate using it's own DHCPv6-PD server to the client router automatically. I have gotten this working by manually configuring the subdelegation and routing, but the prefix changes so often that the configuration is a waste of time.

Once the /57 is subdelegated to the client router, OpenWrt will do the rest without any issue. I find it astounding that the automatic subdelegation doesn't seem to be supported on EdgeOS and won't be for some time according to their forums. I've attempted to work around this issue with a Cisco 3945 and two Cisco 3750s, but automatic subdelegation is unsupported there as well.

Are there any devices at the SME-to-Enterprise level that support this feature? Or any product at all that can do it simultaneously with WAN failover? Ideally, I'd like to avoid consumer equipment since I've got more OpenWrt routers than any man should truly have.

Bonus points if you can find a device that will do the above plus IPv6 masquerading for my secondary connection. That'd be the cherry on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU