Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So, since I am pretty much computer illiterate when it comes to networking and the title really does seem apt, can someone explain to me why i have to reset my router and modem what feels like an increasingly frequent number of times in order to get my internet running at what should be a normal faster speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Vaginal Engineer posted:

The thread title says it all. Although, you may have a lovely modem and/or router. You should make sure that you're running the latest firmware for your router (in theory this is also true for your modem, but things are much more murky).

Well the router is 4 years old now and is still at the default firmware. My roomate is an idiot and tried to log into the wireless network and ended up changing the login to the router so i have no way to get into it. The modem is also either 8 or 9 years old. I expect maybe its time to get new ones. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much new cable modems from Cox cost?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hi network wizard goons. I am moving into an apartment by myself and realized all the network stuff is my roommates. I am going to be on Cox internet and I was looking at the SB6141, I think that's right? I don't understand how networks work, so I was wondering how the apple extreme router is? Money isn't too much of an issue here, I just want some stuff that goes fast and I can just plug it in and go.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

What is the difference between the apple airport express and extreme and is it worth 100 bucks?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Inspector_666 posted:

Express is an Access Point or maybe a router for a couple of devices. Extreme is a robust proper router.

So, if I've got a PC (that I basically stream all my media from [sports, movies, tv, etc]), a laptop, ps3, ipad, and phone, I should look into the extreme?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I recently got an Apple Extreeeeeeme Base Station router and I have been using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UKHFBM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as my wireless USB dongle. I was wondering if there was anything better or newer to make speeds go faster with this router or if that isn't necessary.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I have an annoying problem. I live in an apartment complex and there are probably 20 wireless networks within range of me including mine. My macbook air decides to try to connect to someones guest network that requires a password first every time before my own. How the gently caress do I get it to default to mine? This is such a small thing but it's surprisingly aggravating!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hey I somehow lost my old USB wireless network adapter. I think it was some rosewill thing you guys recommended like 6 years ago to me that was maybe 10-20 dollars. Is there a good recommendation for this kind of thing now? Preferably on amazon because woo same day shipping.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Ok I don't know where to post this as there doesn't seem to be a pixel help thread.

So I just got an unlocked (on Verizon though) 64gb pixel 3 yesterday. I'm having a problem where my WiFi is connecting and disconnecting every 5-10 seconds. I reset all the phone network stuff and forgot and relearned the networks and it continued to do that. What fixed it was resetting the modem/router combo thing.

However, when I left the house and came back it proceeded to do the exact same thing as before and resetting the modem/router and the second router we have fixed it again. This seems like an absurd and ridiculous thing to have to do Everytime I leave the house and come back to use the WiFi.

PS: if you're wondering why we have two routers it's because the house is one floor and so large the WiFi doesn't cover the whole thing so my boomer guardians got a second router and put it in extender mode (I think) to get coverage for the rest of the house, which is where I am at.

so im cross posting this because I was told this is a networking issue and not something with my phone (which is what i think) but how the gently caress do i even begin to diagnose and fix this

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

KKKLIP ART posted:

Do other devices in the house have the same connection issues? Does your phone have the same issue with wifi on other hotspots? Maybe try unplugging one router at a time and see if that changes things up. Long term if it is the wifi, you might want to look at some sort of a mesh wifi like an orbi or maybe google home if it does that, or if you want to do it right, a pair of the Ubiquiti AC-Lites and an edgerouter-X or USG (from the OP) would be rock solid. Double routers sometimes cause funky issues.

So I think its the second router that is the issue. I connect just fine to the modem/router combo machine and it stays connected fine there. Its the second one that is on my side of the house that it connects/disconnects from. I dont know who they had set it up or anything. It also periodically disconnects from like my ipad when its streaming but none of the other devices have issues actually connecting and staying connected.

i am a complete idiot at all this stuff. I just want to be able to use my new phone without having to power cycle the router a few times in order to get it connected and stay connected. I dont know what an orbi or google home is (i have an airport extreme router but i dont think i can connect it to all this and have it work)

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 25, 2018

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Internet Explorer posted:

Having an "extender" is bad enough, if that's true and it's not just a hardwired router acting as a WAP. But make sure that second router is set up to act as a WAP and not an actual router. Otherwise you are going to have double NAT, maybe two different devices handing out DHCP addresses, etc.

I understand you are saying you don't know how any of this stuff works and you just want your phone to work... But that's not how this stuff works. You can't just mash a bunch of random networking things together and then say "I don't want to deal with that but I want my client device to work." If you don't want to figure it out, pay someone to come fix it.

Yeah I understand. It's again not ny system but my boomer guardians

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

the op is from 2018 soooooo

i am looking for a usb wifi adapter for my computer, whats a good cheap one say 25-50 bucks range?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Ok but seriously is there any recommendations for a USB wifi adapter that doesn't suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Dick Nipples posted:

Generally Asus WiFi adapters are a good bet: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Wireless-Adapters-Products/

If it’s stationary, get something with full blown antennas like the USB-AC68. I have the variant of that that is PCI-E (PCE-AC68) and it’s a solid device.

Man I'm reading reviews and they all talk about random disconnects and just not seeing the network anymore..does no one make a reliable USB one? I find these complaints all the time

I had a RNX-N600UBE before and it was great but it does after like 10 years of use and I'm trying to find something like it

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 19, 2020