Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hey. Having some router issues in a new house; three people using a 15 mbit line. I'm using a cheap dlink router, and I think that's the problem. We get connectivity issues (wired) and it needs resets often for my brother to be able to play online multiplayer, and he's been having tons of issues.

So that said, with regards to the op, is the info there still good as far as buys? I'm looking for something in the 75 and less range if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Update! I was running a dir 601, which has dog poo poo firmware. Apparently it works with dd-wrt, which I'd never used, but installing it seems to have fixed all the issues I was having.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 4, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I got a sb6141 so i dont have to rent the wifirouter combo pos from time warner. Got it hooked up after spending an hour putting dd wrt on an old linksys I have to replace the router part of the modem they provide

Called up twc and it flashed some lights and stuff but never completed the connection. The tech said i probably have to talk to arris or replace the modem. That said, he only had me power cycle the modem once and the call lasted about 25 minutes. In the end he re registered the rental modem so i could use internet til i was ready to try again. I get the feeling i might have better luck trying the automated activation and fiddling around a bit for while.

Does anyone have experience with the sb6141 not working right off the bat? Any advice?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Im not using anything special for dns or anything so it shouldn't be that. Ill mess around a bit with the automated activation; i dont think the tech was on the same page as me aboutt what was going on. If i cant get it running with a few restarts and a little time i guess ill have to make an exchange at best buy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Activatemymodem page wont come up; modem logs state "sw upgrade fails after download -incompatible sw file"

Think ill need to exchange my 6141 huh

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

No hard restart switch, but there is a factory restart dealie on the config page, which i employed. Exchange time~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

So I replaced my defective 6141 with another, was able to get onto the internet, but it's being kind of not great. I went through arris and all my signal stuff looks good. The logs screen, however, is having failed range responses and this happy fella "SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file"

It seems to me that TWC is pushing the wrong file and my modem isn't taking it, but would that make my connection lovely half the time?