Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
My parents have been having issues with their wireless liking to cut out frequently so I figure it's either a bad ADSL connection, or a bad router. A new router can't hurt so was wondering what suggestions people have. The first post is from over a year ago, so I assume better alternatives are available. They're in the UK if that matters. I saw someone mention the Asus N56U above, that needs a separate modem right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've read the OP and the last few pages and have a couple of questions.

I live in a 'normal-sized' house. There's a Billion 8800NL upstairs where the 80/20 fibre arrives. Wi-Fi signal is 'fine' but not great in the living room. I've got a Chromecast in the TV and it's not always great at staying connected. My changes are mainly to fix that, although improving the WiFi signal in the house + garden will be a nice consequence.

The only internet connections that are wired in the house are a Pi (sat next to the router to act as a media server) and a Powerline 200 which sends ethernet to the TV box in the living room.

In the OP I see love for Ubiquiti, and they look nice but possibly overkill. My idea is to pick up a TP-Link 1200 and plug it in downstairs. This should hopefully lead to a stronger signal. Am I right in thinking that it will basically boost the Wi-Fi signal and so devices will seamlessly work whether they are receiving the original signal from the router, or the one from that plug? I'd much rather a mesh network like that than a new separate WiFi network being created.

It seems much easier to set up and half the price of a Ubiquiti solution. If my understanding of the Ubiquiti solution is right, I'd need to connect it to the router using ethernet cable which, unless it would be that much stronger than my router itself that I can just place it next to the router, would mean trailing a piece of cable around the house.

I'd love my ignorance shot down if I'm wrong on any of these parts.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Thanks Ants posted:

Wi-Fi repeaters are poo poo, and aren't a true mesh as they don't do any roaming stuff.

There's a bunch of mesh products aimed at the consumer market for this task, look at the TP Link Deco, Google Wi-Fi and BT Whole Home Wi-Fi. Cheapest option is probably the twin pack of BT access points - you plug one into your router after disabling the Wi-Fi on it, and the second box links wirelessly to the first.

What's the advantage of that over the Ubiquiti solution from the OP? Is it simply ease-of-installation? Do Ubiquiti wireless link?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I feel like I must be doing something blindingly wrong.

Router - Billion 8800NL

I just bought a Unifi AP-AC-LR. I plugged the POE adapter into the wall, and then a piece of CAT5 cable from the POE adapter to my AP. I then connected another piece from the LAN port of the POE adapter to the Billion. Result? Nothing. Neither the POE adapter nor the AP have lights on. The POE had a light briefly but that faded away.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Internet Explorer posted:

As long as the network names, passwords, and encryption settings (WPA, WEP, etc.) are the same you should be good to go. You do not need a mesh network. Mesh just refers to the backhaul between the WAPs. Some WAPs and controllers can try to force a client to reconnect to another WAP but that is fancy and it is usually better left to to the client device.

Oh really? I had thought say if you have your router and a couple of disparate WAPs that you would give them different names because it's not proper mesh and therefore won't handle the transition properly and by having 3 different SSIDs you can tell it when to move? If I'm wrong I'll happily change them all to the same one and see if it improves matters.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm considering the networking setup at my home. Key information
- I've got ~60/20 Internet coming in - best available until proper fibre is rolled out here (UK) sometime in the next few years.
- House is about 2000sq ft (2 stories) with about the same in garden at the back. Walls are fairly solid although not a 100-year-old house so not ridiculous.
- Internet use is nothing extreme (3 people with video calls/streaming/browsing), not 4K as no 4K TV and no plans to go 4K anytime soon - I don't care about the quality.
- Few IoT devices - I find Alexa and the like a bit creepy.
- Minimal ability to put ethernet cables in walls to improve the situation.
- No Wi-Fi 6 devices but my new laptop will be when I get it later in the year.

Currently I've got the router upstairs and then PowerLine connectors to act as hotspots + allow me to plug in the two wired devices needed (server + TV). The Wi-Fi is kinda terrible and devices are not great at swapping between the networks and sometimes sit on a weaker one when a better one is available. The Wi-Fi in the garden is also pretty terrible.

To fix this, I was thinking of going for a mesh network. I'd need the satellites to have ethernet options to plug in the TV + server so eg the Amazon Eero mentioned earlier in the thread wouldn't work. I've seen lots of different solutions (Velop, Eero, Orbi, Google, TP-Link) and so many conflicting reviews about which ones are best. One lot of reviews said Orbi is great and I was trying to decide between https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbk753/ and https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbk53s/. Main difference seeming to be Wi-Fi 6 which mainly seems to be for making it last longer in the future and possibly better signal quality.

Any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Bought a Netgear Orbi 753 and failing miserably to set it up. I'm in the UK with VDSL and here we have PPPoE. I have a Billion router and as things suggested turned on bridge mode and disabled dhcp.

I plugged in the orbi and it says it has no Internet. I've tried putting in my PPPoE login information but that doesn't seem to help. To me it seems strange that the Orbi needs to know that as surely my Billion router is being a modem and logging in already?

Tried the old unplug/reboot/different cable but failing miserably.

edit - Reset my Billion router back to its original settings and told the Orbi that my internet connection doesn't require a login. Connects but now got a 192.168.0.x network for devices connected to my router, and a 10.0.0.x network for those connected to my Orbi.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 11, 2022