Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I just found a few years old (maybe 4?) modem and router in a closet that I had completely forgotten about. Are these things still any good? Arris SB6141 and Netgear N900. I'm debating throwing them on Craigslist if it's possible to get at least a few bucks out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

On paper that combo sounds like a "good enough" option for someone on a budget. The modem is DOCSIS 3.0 with 8 channels down and 4 channels up, which is fine - mine is the same specs and handles my 200Mb internet just fine. Comcast even complimented me on its performance. As long as their internet isn't faster than 343 megabits down it'll be good. The wifi on that router is 'only' Wireless-N, not AC or even newer AX. $40-$50 for the combo seems reasonable.

Thanks - that's what I listed it at. Hoping someone bites.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I'm moving into a new house at the beginning of next month and ideally I'd have a fiber connection. The only place that offers fiber in my area is CenturyLink but they only offer up to 30mbps at my address. Strange I think, so I plug in some addresses of my neighbors. They all have 940mbps. I hop on their online chat and try to figure out why, but it's useless. I can get internet through xfinity cable if need be, but what I'm trying to figure out is why do all of the neighboring houses in the entire area have access to high speed fiber except mine?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

That's generally not something you'll get an easy answer on. Start calling and try to see if they can get them to send someone out.

I finally got one person to say they’d escalate it, but the five people I talked to before kept reiterating “more speed simply isn’t possible”.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
What's a good <$250 router/modem combo? I'm moving into a new place next week and will need something that can cover ~1200 square feet including an office in the basement. I've got a range extender to help boost signal and am planning on running ethernet cables to devices I can (Apple TV/PS4, computers upstairs). Both my fiancee and I work remote full time so range and speed are important. I'll be using Xfinity for internet.

I was looking at the Asus AC66U for a router but came across this combo which seems fine https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-ac-1750-dual-band-wi-fi-router-with-24-x-8-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-white/5791602.p?skuId=5791602. Thoughts? Should I avoid a combo?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I'm running into data cap problems with Comcast. I saw on the previous page someone asking if there's any way to see what device is using how much data on a network but it didn't sound like there was a clear answer. I've got an Asus router fwiw.

My fiancee and I both work from home. Her internet usage isn't a lot. Things on her end are usually pretty small -- a lot of Google spreadsheets and word files. I deal with 100MB-2GB files fairly regularly. I'd been using Box Drive with a folder synced to my desktop. Everything else is in the cloud. I also use a program called TeamViewer to remote access my work computer. Generally I'll download files and then stick them in Box Drive so I can access them on my both my laptop and my work computer.

In December we used ~1TB of data and in January we used 1.2TB, about 50GB short of the cap. I got a text from Comcast saying we'd used 90% of our January data about a week before the end of the month so I immediately stopped downloading files and using Box Drive to work off on my personal computer, and started doing everything through TeamViewer.

I just checked our data usage in February and we're already at 250GB of data used... We aren't *heavy* users -- we have 4K Netflix but we don't stream hours of that on a daily basis. A lot of what we watch is regular old HD. My fiancee scrolls Instagram a lot, we both stream Spotify but not all day, no YouTube, no torrents, no online gaming. What's weird is we were at ~800GB in November and nothing has really changed since then.

I checked the activity monitor but I can't quite figure out how to read it. I'm sure this is a common complaint, because gently caress data caps, but I figured I'd ask some folks who are a lot smarter that me. Does anything sound out of ordinary? Any tips? Unfortunately I'm stuck with Comcast. Every house in my neighborhood except mine has access to gigabit fiber :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

rufius posted:

Check if you can install the Merlin WRT firmware on your router. It gives a pretty good view of usage by MAC address when I used it in the past.

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net

Thanks but it looks like my router is no longer supported. That's kind of annoying considering I bought it in November.