Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
My roommate is moving out and I'm taking over the lease on my current place, and I'm switching from cable to DSL because I can get better service for cheaper since I don't need to pay for TV anymore. So I'm in the market for an ADSL2+ modem. I was also going to take the opportunity to upgrade my router game. I'm currently rocking a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 — it has been a great little router and runs DD-WRT like a champ, but it's got no n support, only g/b.

I understand from the OP that most modems are created equal, generally speaking. Are their any decent combination ADSL2+ modem AND router units I should be looking at? I can get a SpeedTouch 516 modem for $60, but there are combo units with n capabilities for only slightly more — something like the TP-Link TD-W8960N, for example. Are such units any good? Is there a real stand-out in this category that will run DD-WRT and generally kick rear end? Or would I be better off saving a few bucks and sticking with my trusty but old Buffalo router?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU