Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I'm moving into a brand new apartment in a few weeks.

As far as I can tell, there's no Ethernet installed, no centrally located power sockets, and no cable trunking to run cat6 through. (Seriously, who designs this poo poo?).

But what it does have, is power sockets, and two coax jacks in every room you might want to put a TV in.

If I can't get decent a WiFi signal to all the rooms, what's my best option to get a small wifi AP to each room. powerline or MoCA (Although, I can't seem to find any MoCA adapters in the UK)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Does anybody have much of an idea how little I can spend to get maximum throughput through a OpemVPN tunnel?

Me and a buddy are both getting gigabit Internet from the same provider in the next few months, so we thought it'd be good to create a VPN tunnel between our two networks so we can game/share files/whatever over the 'LAN'.

Only, I've got no idea what kind of edge hardware we'd need to keep up with the link.

I was looking at an Intel SFF box that we could chuck pfsense on. But thought that might be overkill. Literally have no idea.

Any suggestions?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Moey posted:

You would benefit from switching to channel 11.

Also why are there assholes running on 9 and 10?
Wouldn't switching to Chanel 11 increase the noise floor?

My understanding was, Everybody should be on channels 1, 6 and 11 so all devices can listen, cooperate and 'take turns' if you will.

If somebody else is on another channel, you have the issue that while it's your device's 'turn', the douchebags on 9 and 10 are spewing noise out of turn, causing more interference and dropped packets on your network.

Switching to 1 would be the best bet. Fewer clients on the channel, and has no overlaps.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

stevewm posted:

Marketing for WiFi devices also uses this nomenclature.. A 3 stream 802.11ac device is typically marketed as "1300Mbps". Even worse is that many devices are marketed with the speeds of both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz radios combined. As an example you sometimes see a router marketed as "AC1900". This means a 1300Mbps 5Ghz radio, and a 600Mbps 2.4Ghz radio..
And here I was thinking that 802.11ac was a dual band MIMO protocol, utilising multiple 2.4 and 5ghz chains simultaneously.

Guess I should have read the wiki page first.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Is there a firewall distribution for x86 systems that’s a bit simpler than opnsense/pfsense.

My pfsense install shat the bed when upgrading to 2.5 and got stuck in a boot loop. Now I’m back to working out the minor details to get things working again.

All I really need is all outbound WAN connections run through a VPN service at 1gbps. I *had* pfsense doing this with multiple OpenVPN connections and then load balancing gateways. But damned if I can get it to do it again.

I also had a couple of separate VLANs setup to isolate some IoT devices, but allow access to one or two services inside the network. But I don’t really need that any more.

Complicated things are fine and good, if you can remember how to use it between the 3-yearly failures... which I never can.