Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I will be setting up my home network in a new house in the next couple of weeks, and here is my plan. Please let me know if I'm heading in the right direction.

The house came with one of those network panels/cabinets in the laundry room where the cable and "phone" come into the house, and has an electrical outlet. There are currently three Cat5e runs that terminate as phone jacks in their respective rooms. I will be converting these to RJ45 Cat5e Ethernet wall plates after we move.

In the cabinet I will set up my SB6141 cable modem and new EdgeRouter X. I want all devices in the house to be on the same network so it looks like I will run the WAN+2LAN2 wizard so my cable modem is plugged into Eth0 and then my three hard wires will be Eth1, Eth2, and Eth3. In this case I'm hoping the ERX will act as router/DHCP for the rest of the house.

Eth1 will go to the living room, where I will connect an Airport Extreme as a wifi AP (with DHCP turned off), this is the most central room in the house.

Eth2 will go to the kids play room, where I will connect a TP-Link unmanaged switch plugged in to various gaming consoles and a NAS.

Eth3 will go to the office where the PC and printer are located.

I'm hoping that if I use the correct wizard on the ERX then everything will be able to talk to each other on the same network, wifi provided by my Airport, without installing any extra switches in the network cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have begun setting up my afore-mentioned home network using the EdgeRouter X and Apple Airport Extreme and so far it is working beautifully. I do have a question about setting static IPs on the network, though:

Will it be beneficial, or even possible, to assign the Airport Extreme a static IP since it is running in bridge mode as just a wireless AP and Ethernet switch in my living room? Or is it basically invisible to the router since it's in bridge mode and not acting as DHCP or any other application?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Great, thanks. I currently have my DHCP range as x.100 to x.250, and only my NAS has a static IP in the non-DHCP range under 100 (the ERX itself is x.1).

I know I can set the static IP in the ERX interface for the Extreme, but is there anything I have to do to the Extreme itself to give it, say x.2 or will the ERX handle that when it's booted up?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have been using an ER-X for about 3 years now and periodically updating the firmware as it is released, and currently using the latest 2.x version with seemingly no issues.

Should I downgrade to the last 1.x firmware available?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
So will it let you go back to an older firmware?

I haven't noticed any performance/speed issues so probably just leave it as is.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Question on choosing the best channel for my 2.4 GHz network.

I have my AP set to auto-pick the best channel, and it seems to default to Channel 6. Today I ran a Wi-Fi Scan in the iOS AirPort Utility to see what my neighbors were using and my worst fears were realized: a large number are using Channels 4, 5, 8 and 9 for some unknown reason. Luckily, while I live in densely populated neighborhood, our houses are far enough apart that most of the other networks are in the -75 dBm to -90 dBm range.

It looks like either Channel 1 or Channel 11 will have the least overlap. The next strongest network to mine is Channel 5 @ -75 dBm and that is the only interference in that range. There are more networks on Channel 11 and Channel 9 but are much weaker strength around -90 dBm. Am I better of going with Channel 1 and slightly overlapping the Channel 5 guy or going with Channel 11 with more overlap but weaker signals.

loving neighbors.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
My current home network consists of a Surfboard modem connected to an EdgeRouter-X both inside a structured wiring enclosure (On-Q) that came with the house. The ER-X feeds 3 wired ethernet drops in different rooms in my house, one of which is connected to an AirPort Extreme in bridge mode acting as my WiFi access point. The whole thing works pretty well except that the WiFi signal in the rooms farthest from the AP is weak.

I'm thinking of getting a couple of Eero units and operating them in bridge mode to replace my AirPort, utilizing ethernet backhaul on them placed in the two opposite ends of the house where I have ethernet drops. Will they still work as a mesh unit with ethernet backhaul and letting my ER-X do the DHCP/routing activities like it does now? Also, it looks like each Eero has two ports in the back so I'm assuming if one is for backhaul I can attach an unmanged switch to the other for more hardwire ethernet ports at those locations? Anything wrong with this setup that I'm missing?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I guess I was thinking that a mesh product like Eero or Orbi would handle handoff between devices better than multiple standalone APs, but maybe I'm over thinking this.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Dick Nipples posted:

Definitely overthinking it.

Mesh wifi is less about seamless handoff between access points and more about extending your network when you don't have the ability to run a hard wire.

I know I spent two posts earlier on the page ranting about my love for Orbi. If I had the choice, I'd run Cat6a through the house and setup Ubiquiti AP's everywhere. Unfortunately, I do not have that so picking the best wireless backhaul at the time was my best option.

If you have Cat5e/Cat6/Cat6a running through the house and providing points of hardwired access, absolutely get yourself some Ubiquiti AP's and hook them up. Use the same SSID and WPA2 key and probably try and spread your channels a bit.

Handoff won't be instant, may take a second or two but in general devices are pretty smart about connecting to a stronger signal if they know how to connect to it.

My Ethernet ports are wall units, which is why I was thinking mesh with Ethernet backhaul. Ubiquiti AP need to be ceiling mounted and then I'd lose the ability to add a switch at that location. Right?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Spectrum just doubled my speed from 100 Mbps to 200 Mbps but my 8 year old SB6121 can only pull ~130 Mbps since the upgrade (previously I was getting speedtests of ~110 Mbps pretty consistently over ethernet).

The info on the 6121 says it can go up to 172 Mbps so I'm kind of reluctant to upgrade to a newer, faster modem if Spectrum is just blowing smoke and my new top speed is 130 not 200. Is the 6190 a good upgrade? Looking for something in the same form factor as the 6121 so I can swap it in my structured wire cabinet without having to move the rest of the poo poo around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Wow, thanks for this info!