Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is the SB6121 still considered a good choice for a Comcast modem? My parents are still rocking a 5120 and I'd like to set them up with something newer and save a few bucks each month, once I locate a power adapter for it. Or should I run with this and give them my Cisco DPC3008?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Now that I have a nice new AC router, I'd like to replace the old wireless card in my laptop with something to match it. What are the good choices? Needs to be a half-size Mini-PCI Express adapter.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ynglaur posted:

I think he's looking for an internal laptop Wi-Fi card, which ASUS does not make. If you need a Half Mini PCIe consider the Intel 7260.

Eletriarnation posted:

Intel 3160 is cheap and dual-band AC and has Bluetooth too, what more could you want? I put one of these in a Latitude E6230 not long ago and it works great.

Thank you both! Yes, looking to go internal.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tunga posted:

I have a house with ethernet faceplates in a few places and I want to put a 4-port switch and a wireless AP on each one because coverage is spotty with a single router. Is there a recommended device that does both of these things at once? The recommended ones in the OP don't seem to have wired ports on them. Bonus points for PoE support, though I'll also need a way to add that at the router end. Would be good to avoid having multiple devices that each need power and everything looking messy.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-wall/ - just get a PoE switch to feed these. The WAP is the box on the back of the faceplate.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ramadu posted:

Hey I somehow lost my old USB wireless network adapter. I think it was some rosewill thing you guys recommended like 6 years ago to me that was maybe 10-20 dollars. Is there a good recommendation for this kind of thing now? Preferably on amazon because woo same day shipping.

I don't know if there's a go-to model, but for a USB wireless AC on Prime this is $20: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1200-WiFi-USB-Adapter/dp/B00UA98HS8

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wow, just Googled and read about it, no wonder they were on Groupon for like $12 a while ago.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I finally flashed my Sprint AC-2015 router to stock Asus RT-AC66U firmware. I need to enter the WiFi Calling settings but I don't know where/how to do it. I know I need to enter these:

Emergency Location Reporting: TCP 444
WiFi Calling Tunnel: UDP 4500

But I don't know if I enter that under Port Trigger or Port Forwarding or what. Can someone fill me in? Better yet, there's a dummy UI here and a screenshot from it would be a huge help. I need stupid babby handholding for this.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The guide I've read on doing this literally advises to do so, but doesn't lay out the steps of doing so. The dummy UI linked above confirms that it can be done, and I can confirm that I can enter settings in those tabs.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This is the guide I used to change it from a Sprint router with these settings hard coded, to an Asus router with these settings editable:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-sprint-ac-rt66u-to-stock-asus-firmware.25261/

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It really depends on distance between each device and the router, and the building materials used in the apartment's construction (due to interference). If the 1750 is only a few bucks more, might as well go for it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Strong Sauce posted:

dave rubin getting owned by marianne williamson is good to watch.

Are they discussing the merits of Cat5e vs. token ring?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

IndianaZoidberg posted:

There isn't one...?

I think I know what most of those words mean, but that's where it ends for me. So...wat?

My networking knowledge is limited and the network in question was "built" by my coworkers. It works just fine on all the Macs we have, but just not my PC. I asked my original question to a few other people and someone said:

If that is true, can I access this on my PC by just adding a router in between the switch and my PC? Part of me thinks that sounds stupid, but might it work? If that's all it needs, I buy a cheap router.

Since this is in an office, I assume the Macs get internet? If so, either they have static IPs, or else the switch connects to something that's providing DHCP (hence 'DHCP server'), either your office's router is doing that (handing out non-static IP addresses) or your office has a main server (such as a domain controller) that is doing the DHCP role.

Click your start button, type the letters cmd and hit Enter. In the black box that pops up, type ipconfig /all and hit Enter, then copy and paste everything it spits out here. Feel free to look for your company name in it anywhere and replace it with something benign.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Zhang San posted:

We have 4 (yes four) unifi APs in a 990 sq ft apartment because wireless signal seems so bad room to room. All my technical friends think this is huge overkill and I must have hosed something up (I'm sure I probably have anyway by choosing to live here).

Anyhow poked my head into the ceiling cavity to look for a way to pull ethernet through my apartment to connect the APs. The picture is a nice illustration of probable reason for all this - that mesh showing through in the poorly finished section is basically embedded into each wall throughout.

Guess at least I don't need to worry about government satellite signals monitoring my brain... :tinfoil:

Now you can tell your friends you literally live in a real-life Faraday cage.

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I'll try that next time I'm on that network. That will be in a day or two. The Macs have internet I think, but its threw wifi. This is littery the entire wired network for this setup.

The projectors are all set to static IPs from 2.0.0.211 threw 2.0.0.216.

I should have been more clear, this is no office. Its a theatre and the projectors are a temporary setup for 3 weeks of performances. Basically, this is a setup that we always use and will continue to use. I just want to make the projector control work threw my PC...because I like money too much to buy a Mac.

Really sounds like your laptop just needs to get on that WiFi that the Macs are on, then. That network doesn't have a gateway to the internet anywhere on that diagram.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You better hope Tanis and her gang of Natives don't burn the produce stand down.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bootcha posted:

It's almost not worth thinkin' about.

That's a Texas-sized 10-4

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Are they in the same building?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm sorry to say I don't know how to trace route to something

Click the start button, when the menu pops up simply type cmd and hit enter. A black window will pop up, type tracert 8.8.8.8 and hit enter. Give it a minute or three to go through all its hops, then copy & paste the result here.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You mean a modem that can support telephony? Or one with e.g. Alexa/Siri/Cortana built in?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Any good Cyber Monday deals for WiFi routers that explicity support SMBv3?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If you can get into that router/modem's interface from your phone, I'm guessing you need to set it into a non-modem mode and probably turn off DHCP. I'm assuming you're just setting it up to provide an extra WiFi connection, and your house's main router/modem hands out IP addresses?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's a reply link

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's wireless N. Look for something with at least AC.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's the one I have and it's okay enough for my usage. There's no longer Merlin firmware for it, but Asus just released a new stock firmware for it in November. Also, if you do want to try Merlin on it someday, john9527's fork of Merlin supports that model.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Apologies, I believe I have the non-B1 version.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I use an Asus RT-AC66u (formerly a Sprint SP-AC2015) and I just picked up a refurb T-Mobile AC1900 that I'm converting to a stock Asus RT-AC68u.

Is there any advantage in using the 68 as my router over the 66? Ultimately one will be my router and one will be an AP or repeater.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does that switch have an uplink port, or an uplink button that you can turn on or off?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the current recommendation on powerline adapters? Are the models in the OP still current or is there a new goonsensus?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

H2SO4 posted:

The four Ubiquiti power user routers listed in the OP were Edgemax routers, not UniFi. You walked into the "recommend me a car" thread, saw the word Toyota, bought a Prius and are mad because you're not able to fit a pallet of plywood in the back.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

astral posted:

He dropped support for that, the AC66U, and some others a while back. There's someone on the SNB forums that maintains an earlier fork, but...

john9527 latest release 5/27/2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Back in January I cut cable TV and Comcast set me up with Performance internet (100mb/s) for $40/month, since then I had them send me a Flex (streaming box) and added HBO, so all told I was paying $65/mo.

Today they called me and offered to upgrade me to Blast (200mb/s) for one dollar more per month, and extend the contract until next July. I said yes. The rep mentioned she was impressed with my modem, which is a personal modem and several years old.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

On paper that combo sounds like a "good enough" option for someone on a budget. The modem is DOCSIS 3.0 with 8 channels down and 4 channels up, which is fine - mine is the same specs and handles my 200Mb internet just fine. Comcast even complimented me on its performance. As long as their internet isn't faster than 343 megabits down it'll be good. The wifi on that router is 'only' Wireless-N, not AC or even newer AX. $40-$50 for the combo seems reasonable.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

KingKapalone posted:

What are POE injectors?

Run a cable from the PoE port to your device so it gets power, and run a cable from the LAN port to your switch/router so it gets networked.

Not needed if your switch is already PoE.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

astral posted:

the goatse security model that the others traditionally do.

A big gaping hole in plain sight?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What is the router you have?

For $100 I got two of the T-Mobile/Asus routers, flashed to stock firmware and set up AiMesh. The latest firmware adds Ethernet backhaul mode.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cheap router alert: TP-Link Archer C8 for $40 shipped

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

skipdogg posted:

Get a 6183. Skip the 6190.

edit:

So the 6121 is a 4 channel cable modem. It's theoretical maximum speed is about 172 Mbps in a perfect environment. Each DOSCIS channel is about 43Mbit each. Now your ISP has probably upgraded to 32 downstream channels at this point, to support gigabit download speeds to some customers. Your old modem can only access 4 of those channels. Cable broadband is a shared bandwidth situation, so if other people are using the 4 channels you have access to, your speeds will not be close to the max theoretical speeds. 130Mbps on that old of a modem is pretty good. Imagine you're on a large 32 lane highway, but your car can only access the right 4 lanes. That's the situation you're in right now.

The 6183, or any 16 channel cable modem can support up to 686 Mbps downstream. It's still fine for most users who are on a 400mbit plan or less these days, and is a very solid modem. The 6190 isn't a bad modem per se... but there is a flaw in it that causes some signifigant lag sometimes. The average home user probably won't notice it, but it plays hell with gamers who's ping suddenly shoots up to 300ms for no reason. I wouldn't hesitate to put a 6190 in my moms house, but I wouldn't use one.

Next step up in future proofing moves to a 32 channel modem like a SB8200 which is probably overkill. Not sure what pricing is like right now, but they were 150+ dollars when they first came out.

I very strongly prefer the SurfBoard branded modems. Arris got the SurfBoard name when they bought the old Motorola Cable Modem division from Google/Motorola a few years ago, but they did not get to keep the Motorola name. The newer Motorola branded cable modems are made by Zoom Telephonics, so they're not the same.

It really doesn't matter these days what brand of cable modem you buy though. Pretty much everything uses the same Broadcom reference chipset, and then creates their own modifications and software to run on the board. The days of different companies actually having different chipsets are long gone. Pretty much all the newer modems like the SB8200, Motorola MB8600, Netgear CM1000 all use the Broadcom BCM3390 chipset as the base. They may have different amounts of RAM, I/O ports, software features, but under the hood they're pretty much the same.

All that being said, in your case you should be able to pick up an older 6183 Surfboard for like 20 or 30 bucks on your local FB marketplace pretty easily. There's one for 25 bucks near me right now. That's the sweet spot I think as far as cheap upgrades. It'll work if you upgrade to Spectrum's 400mbit plan as well.

edit 2:

Take your pick from any of the 400mbit+ modems on this list if you have trouble finding a 6183, they should all work just fine.

https://approvedmodemlist.com/charter-spectrum-approved-modems/

Thank you for all of this in one place, especially the link at the end. Comcast just bumped me up to 400Mbit and I'm looking at my Cisco DPC-3008 which maxes out at 340. I'm okay with that, but my co-worker offered me his old one for free a few months ago. Need to find out what it is.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

codo27 posted:

Just a random tidbit I wanted to throw out there, I used to have some difficulty with the wifi on my laptop, its an old centrino N card. I questioned about replacing it with a newer card and it was suggested to me here that its a waste of time because those cards are fairly specific with regards to the board they are compatible with. Mom spilled some tea or something into hers so I took that same one out of my now scrapped laptop and put in and it picked it up right away, not even any drivers install required.

WiFi cards are usually easy to replace, it's just that some laptop makers have a whitelist of WiFi cards in their laptops' BIOS. My old ThinkPad (a Core2Duo model) had this but I was able to flash a hacked BIOS on it to let it accept any WiFi card.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Question from my cousin:

quote:

Anybody I know smart in the topic of cable wiring? I’m literally certified in the networking part of things, but I’ve been stumped by this situation.

Yesterday, a Rogers-contracted tech ran a new wire from the pole to my home. The old one had been cut a few years back but I didn’t use cable anything, so I just ignored it.

I wanted them to use existing home entry wire A, but they said they couldn’t because it wasn’t grounded. So I suggested existing home entry point B, because it is an unfinished basement and a grounding wire could be added.

They used entry point B, internet is on and works, but no grounding wire was added. They left without doing that, and claim it’s my responsibility.

Is this a vital thing? And if yes, why don’t I already have it? I’ve found authoritative sources saying both it’s not necessary and absolutely the house will burn down otherwise. So.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You might have to call Cox and have them redetect the MAC address of your laptop's connection.