Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have what is probably a really dumb question. I’ve never had a switch before but I’m going to be running a bunch of cat6 cables around the house in few months and I’m curious: will my router see everything on the switch as a connected device or just the switch? It doesn’t matter really because the switch will be managed, I just want to know and can’t test it myself yet or figure it out with google.

Also I’ll have a 24 port switch so this isn’t likely to be a problem any time soon, but in the future is there any reason to avoid using my router’s own ports if I run out of ports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Thanks!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
When I connect my PC to my VPN (PIA), I can still see my media shares on my ps4 and stream chrome tabs to my chromecast. Is this not supposed to happen?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

unruly posted:

As skipdogg said above, it might be configured to allow split tunneling. Are you seeing any other devices on the network? Can you ping them?

Edit: They could also be something like Wifi Direct. I don't know enough about how the PS4 or ChromeCast work to give a more qualified answer, though.

yeah I can ping everything

Moey posted:

PIA only presents routes to a public address space, so all private stuff is still accessable.

FlyWhiteBoy, elaborate on your VPN setup a little more. Who up are tunneling to and your config.

Oh, thanks. I looked up pia split tunneling and they said they don't support it, so I was worried something was wrong based on the above. The way it is behaving is how I want it to anyway, it would be pretty useless to me if I couldn't see my local stuff.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Apparently, it's already on. (It's checked.) I hit Apply anyway. Still Type 2 NAT (moderate). Any other ideas, maybe? :\

Type 2 just means your ps4 is connected to the internet through a router. Type 2 is what it should show, given you are using a router. It is good and proper.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

benzoapyrene posted:

Sorry, what I meant to get at with the mesh w/ wired backhaul part was whether it would be better to go with an off-the-shelf set of mesh routers to set up multiple APs across my house, or stick with a Unifi-based system. I didn't really "manage" my network with the Edgerouter and was always frustrated with having different logon portals for the router and AP, so I don't know whether it's worth it to stick with the Edgerouter + AP or just go to a system which could hopefully achieve a similar result but is much more turn-key.

If you're just looking to fill your home with wifi and don't want the hassle of setting it up, I think you're better off getting one of the consumer mesh systems that support wired backhaul. I know Google (simpler, cheaper) and Orbi (more expensive, a bit more featured) do, and some others do as well.

If don't want to manage the network and don't want the more advanced features that Ubiquiti offers, then I don't see the point of getting involved with it when you could get a system that does what you need so much more simply and in most cases for not much of a difference in price.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

ndrake posted:

I just bought a new house that was wired with cat5 to every room and a couple of other locations that are supposed to be for unifi access points. The low voltage guy wants to install a ubiquiti unifi security gateway and switch with 3 unifi hd wave 2 access points. Installed that will be 1600+. I currently have an original netgear orbi system from my last house and I have perfectly fine wifi coverage throughout the house. It's just under 3000 square feet. It would be nice to use access points just because the wiring is there and I'd rather not see the orbi if I have a choice. But this feels like overkill.

How much of what he proposed is necessary? Can't I just use the orbi as a router and connect the access points? Do I really need wave 2 APs?

And is this better than a mesh system that will (supposedly) move devices from one access point to another by itself? I could easily keep the Orbi and change it to using a wired backhaul or switch to an Eero. The benefit of these systems seems to be that my laptop connected in the basement should automatically connect to a closer access point if I walk upstairs, right?

$1600 to do the same job the orbis are already doing perfectly well? I’d say no thanks and use the orbis. As you said they can use the wiring for backhaul.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have google wifi and think it is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That's hilarious overkill for this application, I am only running a couple Synology units, a cable modem and a router.

There is no in-between. Get a cheap one that just covers your needs or get a more expensive one that is overkill power-wise but is probably better quality. Personally when I got one, I went with the overkill. The plus side is it powers my entire network including security cameras for at least half an hour.