Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
What's the best way for me to make sure my network is secure now that I've got a wireless AP supplementing my wired network?

I'm running a Linksys WRT54G2, not broadcasting the SSID and have WPA2 personal security on with a 30-character mixed case alphanumeric password. Is that enough or are there other things I should be doing? Not running tomato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

When building my house, I naively thought that two Ethernet ports would be enough for my entertainment unit. At the moment I have my WDTV Live and Xbox 360 plugged in. But I’m about to buy a home theatre system, so I’ll need to network the receiver and possibly the TV too. What’s my best option here, an inexpensive four-port switch? Can anyone recommend one? I have a Cat6 network ending in a 1Gb HP switch (1410 series, I think) in my server room (closet). All the wiring’s in my wall and I don’t feel like ripping holes and putting in another drop.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Tapedump posted:

Agreed. I have two GS105s doing drat near exactly what you are looking for.

I also have two TRENDnet TEG-S50Gs as well that I am happy with, if you want lights in front and ports in back.

However, the Netgears are much more suited to bashing someone's head in.

Thanks. I seen the Trendnet one is 'green' - what's the difference in power consumption between that and the Netgear? I'm guessing it's negligible, but reports of the Netgear running hot give me pause.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I've got a weird issue with my WDTV Live, wherein it can't browse the network shares on my NAS when any of the computers on my LAN are connected to a VPN. Any ideas what might be causing it? When there's no active VPN connections it works fine.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Sounds like you are not using split-VPN, the VPN is forcing all traffic through the tunnel. But if you are saying the PCs are independent of the NAS and WDTV then something else is severely borked. It could be that one of the PCs has been elected the workgroup master for name resolution, try WDTV browsing by IP not hostname.

Yes, the PCs (Windows 7) are independent of the NAS and the WDTV. So the PC and the NAS are both connecting to a VPN via OpenVPN, it's not a hardware VPN. And it does look like my desktop PC in the master browser. Should I change that? Perhaps to the NAS (which runs WHS2011) since it's on 24/7? In the meantime I'll see if I can browse by IP on the WDTV Live.

EDIT: I changed the NAS to be the Master Browser (disabled the service on the desktop PCs, enabled it on the NAS), and I can happily browse away from my WDTV Live box while the PCs are on VPNs.

modeski fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 10, 2014