Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there a favored option for adding 802.11ac to an older Mac via USB? Or heck, even something that can hang off the ethernet and bridge it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Don Lapre posted:

Wouldn't USB be a bottleneck to AC wireless? Are you trying to speed up internetwork transfers or do you have gigabit internet?

The latter.

Coxswain Balls posted:

You shouldn't notice too much of a difference for streaming, but you'll definitely notice a difference if you have a NAS or do any large file transfers over your network. That's the difference between transferring at 12.5 MB/s and 125 MB/s.

Yep, this is me. Went from Gb wired to Wireless-N and pushing things around to the NAS suuuuuuucks now. I am just trying to avoid having to figure out how to get some wiring from downstairs to upstairs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Any specific recommendations on mesh based wifi access points? Something like Eero? I know Netgear and Linksys make some now, but I am wondering a> How well they actually work in practice and b> Is there some non-consumer grade option that is preferable? I am content to spend a few more $$$ to get something super robust that's not a giant collection of security holes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That's a good point I hadn't considered. Seems plenty do wired backhaul but if I could get ethernet to where I want the APs to be... I... wouldn't need this.

Is there no magic combination of Ubiquiti gear that can do this?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dogen posted:

Seriously get the eero pro setup it has 3 of the tri radio base units and works great (but also is $500)

Costco has a three-pack Orbi setup for $399 tho...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

H2SO4 posted:

Mesh is wasteful and should only be a very last resort. There's only so much spectrum to go around. If you're in a house with decent spacing from others then that's less of an issue, but even then it's way better to do that poo poo right and run some cable.

I don't 100% disagree, I am waffling, but getting ethernet up to the second story is just a real pain in the rear end :\

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there a browser plugin to allow easier whitelisting for pihole?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It's been a while since I have done this, but are all the cool kids just buying a Qotom box and running PFSense or similar? I used to run m0n0wall, but it hasn't been updated in almost five years.

So the Qotom for 1Gb internet coming in, switch my ISP provided Netgear to bridge mode for wifi, pihole for DNS, and a simple Gb switch to link up all the wired stuff?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

redeyes posted:

I don't see how you can do better for that price unless you do a Ubquiti Edgerouter. I like PFsense much better though. I expect those Qotom boxes have Intel NICs?

Yeah, looks like it's this: https://ark.intel.com/products/64404/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I211-AT

I wonder if I should just do the ubiquiti, though. Might be worth gaining more familiarity with their products...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

redeyes posted:

I'd go PFsense (actually I just made that decision vs an Edgerouter X). It's just much more powerful overall. The PFsense interface is very nice and easy to navigate and more things can be done in the GUI vs command line. If the idea is to dogfood the stuff you support, its kind of a wash. Ubiquiti support sucks imo. PFsense has similarly open source type support unless you buy a commercial box.

Yeah I ran PFSense for a bit way back when, I'll probably go that route, then. If I really need to learn more Ubiquiti stuff, I'll just have work buy me a $100 router to goof with.

Thanks.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Strong Sauce posted:

dave rubin getting owned by marianne williamson is good to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5_F9X04Bq8

Marianne Williamson is always hilarious, but this might not be the intended thread.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Strong Sauce posted:

don't keep multiple tabs open kids.

I just need to know if she ever explains the difference between slavery and abject slavery.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thermopyle posted:

Name resolution on a home LAN.

Whats the deal with device host names on a lan? What technologies are there and what should I be using in a linux/windows mixed environment?

Right now I can ping some of my linux computers from windows machines by their host name, none of my Windows 10 machines from linux computers and I never manually set up anything to support any of this so whatever pinging I can do is something that happened automatically.

First thing to check might be to do an nslookup from one of the windows machines for one of the linux machine hostnames. If it returns your router for the address(the first address, not the resolved one), maybe your router is doing some lightweight DNS work?
If not that, it's likely just NetBIOS at work, this guy goes into a good explanation of why you're getting the results you're getting: https://serverfault.com/questions/352305/why-can-windows-machines-resolve-local-names-when-linux-cant

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

tight aspirations posted:

Is there a complete idiot's guide or tutorial to windows networking between two PCs over a modem/ router? I feel it should be simple, but I can't get it to work at all.

What is "windows networking"? If you want them to be able to talk to each other as if they were on the same LAN, you probably need to set up some kind of VPN.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Ants posted:

Making patch cables is a horrible waste of time, but if you insist then at least get the feed-through connectors and the crimp tool for them.

https://www.amazon.ca/Solsop-Through-Crimping-End-Pass-Through-connectors/dp/B07W51W7GH/

Please do this. You will find turbonerds who will say that somehow passthrough connectors are inferior. Ignore them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Trip Report, ditched the old netgear that came from my ISP, got a Ubiquiti gateway and AP. A+ would absolutely buy again. Real nice.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I saw the OP and clicked into it last night. I'm surprised they don't have integrated devices, and I understood the individual components, but my brain melted when it came to the CloudKey. What the hell is that?

You don't necessarily NEED a cloudkey right off the bat. You can run the config tool and controller on any machine on the network.

*with a Java install, blech

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 26, 2020

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So should I not buy an ubiquiti switch for a bit to see what shakes out?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You can put the Unifi controller software on any computer that has a Java 8 runtime available for it. I set the controller up on a Raspberry about a week ago and it's working fine so far. Some of the panes are greyed out if your router or firewall isn't a Unifi, but a lot of the functionality is still there.

Do you find it eventually just crushes the memory on the machine and has to be restarted? Like even opening the panel on the computer ends up being super sluggish and terrible until I restart it all.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Are you running it on a Pi? I set my Pi up as a headless server running the "lite" version of Raspberry OS, so I don't ever run the panel software on the Pi itself, I just access it through a web browser or the Unifi phone app. I went and checked the Pi just now, and it reports that it hasn't crashed since I set it up last week. I do have a Pi 4 with 2GB of RAM, which may or may not make a difference compared to the model you are using. I also got a fairly big SD card for it, but I doubt the minimal use it's gotten after one week would mean that this matters at all.

No, it's on an i5-6260 based NUC! Java will soak 5-8GB of RAM and Firefox will eventually start pulling 20-50% CPU usage just sitting there.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Am I reaaaaaally going to have to get rid of my USG I just got and get the DM Pro in order to actually get some security cameras hooked up? It seems like that's the way to go for Protect functionality now...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Wacky Delly posted:

I think you can still do it with a cloud key 2, but you can't roll your own controller.

Sounded like you couldn't put the storage off to your own NAS or elsewhere, had to be to an actual UI device of some kind.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cyks posted:

Correct. the UDM Pro($380) and UCK-G2-PLUS ($200) are the two UI devices that support Unifi Protect.
...Looks like there's also the UNVR ($300) that just came out of early access.

So kinda one of those things where hey, are you sure you can't use another 8 ports of switch capacity? I doubt many home gamers have enough cameras running to justify the standalone UNVR. Aight, (sigh).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hey everybody, two questions.

1> What's the cheapest place to get a Ubiquiti CloudKey 2+? Or does it not matter, just pay?

2> Will I hate myself for not just ponying up for the DreamMachine Pro? I have a USG now and it's fine, but I wanna do some cameras/recording and the CloudKey is the easiest entry. I expect I could probably fetch a pittance in the secondary market for the USG, but it's just hard to justify spending $200 more for a few nice PoE ports and some 10GbE I may never use...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Why is my unifi poo poo suddenly refusing to reliably hand out DHCP leases? New device connects, shows up in the console, but with a self-assigned IP. Reboot the AP, WHOOPS, sorry here's IPs everyone!

Everything's fully updated, but with Ubiquiti, that's probably my problem.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

priznat posted:

I still keep thinkin bout gettin a UDM SE even though it’s silly overkill. I just am a sucker for the slick interfaces :haw:

I will probably get one eventually and justify it by running some of their cameras.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

e.pilot posted:

cloud key gen2+ is cheaper for cameras if you’re going that route

I waffle, but I don't have any PoE or unifi switches so that's my baloney excuse to buy more expensive stuff.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cyks posted:

If you are seriously looking at spending 200+ for a stand alone router for home use just go with a pfsense/opensense build.

I’d run BlueIris or a Synology for cameras way before I’d ever consider Unifi Protect.

I've run all this before. PfSense, m0n0wall, etc, to good effect. I even sold a stack of repurposed old IBM terminals on here for people to use.

I just kinda like the unifi structure and management, tbh. I have a USG and some APs now, performance is fantastic. I consider switching to something else for routing and keeping the APs, but then I have to figure out and run an entirely separate setup for cameras. All the camera software seems like absolute horrible dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, it's late and I am tired and have been staring at it too long. How do I get my unifi crap to allow VPN clients to access resources in the local network? LAN is 192.168.1.1, VPN is 192.168.2.1, cant' just allocate a chunk of the LAN range. Can't find anywhere in the current setup to put in a static route to just send traffic over to the LAN. Setting "Send All Traffic" makes no difference. I do get internet traffic from the client to pipe through, but nothing to the LAN...

Please tell me the obvious thing I am missing?

edit: nm, it kinda works. I just can't access one Windows box, not sure what that's about...
edit edit: can port 445 even be routed between subnets??

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 6, 2023