Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I’ve had a similar setup and it has worked fine.

Modem - Switch - Router (as AP) - Computer

But then last week, it just went nuts and stopped working. I rebooted the router. Unplugged the switch when I noticed the lines had gone a constant green. I finally reset the quantum Fios gateway too, which turned on its wireless that was supposed to be off.

Now, the router is plugged directly into the modem and the switch is also plugged into the modem. Things are working again.

To change the subject, worrying about speed is a waste of time, right? I have FIOS gigabit, and while computers that are plugged directly into the modem have strong speed (~800 Mbps), my Netgear Nighthawk R6700v2 (which is Mediatek not Broadcom) can’t do more than 440 Mbps up/down on its Speedtest. My iMac (ancient 2009) only gets 250 Mbps via wired, but my iPhone XR gets like 310/400 on Speedtest. I thought this meant it was time to get a better router, but really, these are speeds that are in line with the Archers and stuff. I’m hardly gonna notice a difference, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Sininu posted:

I may buy TP-LINK Archer C7 but how is it to configure? I mean is its interface smooth and not crashy unlike some old routers I've touched?

I ended up getting a renewed C2300 for $70 just to future proof my purchase but an A9/C9 or A7/C7 would have been fine. Speeds are fine but not any better than an AC1750 device. I love the interface though. Easy and snappy. You’ll like it.

I’m fine with my purchase even if I am still going to get an ER-X at some point.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Any tried and true replacements for an AirPort Extreme? It’s not broken but want to upgrade it and see lots of reviews of routers and I am always leery of replacing it because it seems like every router has negative reviews. I upgraded my spectrum internet so I’m one level above the base speed. So maybe something that can handle slightly faster speeds and has WiFi.

AirPort Extremes do just work, but grab a TP-Link A7. It’s on sale and worst case scenario, you send it back. You can still use the Extreme to extend your network too, but I think you will notice some better range and responsiveness. It’s the advice on the first page and it’s good.

Wireless routers always have a mix of reviews because there are so many variables. Where do you place the router? How do you set it up? What do you hope is fixed with a newer router (speed, range, etc)? Some people have bad experiences for those reasons. It is frustrating to read reviews and feel like you are rolling the dice.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Is this the modem you referenced?

Yes! The A9 is the next step up. You can also find renewed versions if you want to save a few bucks.

I've been impressed with TP-Link's firmware. It's fast and as easy as others to setup.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Should I get it with mu-mimo?

I got confused at that option too. I think the non mu-mimo ones are the older models? I'd say go with the mu-mimo option, as it is supposed to help when you have multiple devices streaming.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I saw that TP-Link released some Walmart only available Wifi 6 routers that are actually pretty low in price and probably (if they work well) are "good enough" for a lot of people. The $70 is probably the better option, even though it does not have a USB port. The $129 one seems a little beefier, but what devices can take advantage of all of that... speed? Kind of confusing to wade through the mess of routers lately.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TP-Link-Archer-AX1500-Wi-Fi-6-Dual-Band-Router-Up-to-1-5-Gbps-Speeds-1-5-GHz-Tri-Core-CPU/584566855

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
My first attempt to switch my home network over on an ER-X failed. I started over today in more of a test state and had marginal more success. One weird thing is that when I do the wizards on the GUI it doesn’t let me choose a default up address and DHCP range for the internal network. It’s just blank there.

Is it possible to write over a firmware install to make sure it worked? Maybe when I upgraded it didn’t work right.

Edit: Haha. It’s terrible. Why can’t I have a default ip and DHCP server of anything but 192.168.1.x??? So easy to change on any other router. But not this? Weird.

RocketLunatic fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 4, 2020

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

smax posted:

Basic setup wizard, go to the (collapsed/hidden) "LAN Ports" section. You can change it there.

Yeah after three or for resets, the hidden part finally showed. Don’t know why it wouldn’t before. So weird.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Just a quick trip report - rather than go with PiHole on my old Raspberry Pi3, I decided to setup Adguard Home (https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome)

So far, impressed. It was simple to get running and switch my DNS over to on the main ER-X router. It feels great to remove adblockers on my browsers in my various devices. The only issue I have is that I can't use those dumb "deal sites" that might link me to sales here and there, because they run through crappy tracking link services or whatever. But that's fine.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

namlosh posted:

Seconding this... I’m using pihole right now and I still get a ton of ads. Would really like to block more.

I admit I'm not an expert with PiHole, and PiHole is awesome. I might even switch to PiHole if Adguard gives me issues at some point, but their GitHub readme thingie explains what it does that PiHole doesn't. Like encrypted DNS upstream, blocking phishing/malware domains, etc... So, I don't think it is massively different but adds on some other features that are kind of cool. It was a breeze to setup.

They even added in the latest build a feature that will poll the chosen DNS upstream servers and choose the fastest automatically. Save whole... milliseconds off of your search, I guess. :toot:

I'll give it a few weeks and see if it improves quarantine life.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

RME posted:

Kind of a shame that the ER-X i bought in september is apparently outdated. Now I'm wondering if it's the cause of some of the speed issues i've been getting lately

I recently began using an ER-X too but I think if you are on firmware series 1 it is at or near the end of its firmware life. Series 2 is still being developed, so it’s still a viable router for a while. May not be the fastest or full featured anymore compared to newer tech.

FYI - I still am using 1.xx firmware for now.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I need some help and my googling was unsuccessful.

I am running OpenVPN on a Synology NAS. My router is an ER-X. How do I open the network up to the VPN server? What I did find was complicated - like different setting up routes and stuff or running openvpn on the er-x - but maybe I am missing the obvious. Do I just need to open a port on the ER-X and point to the NAS?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

rufius posted:

Assuming you left the ports default, forward 443/TCP and 1194/UDP to the local IP of your NAS.

You’d do this in the ER-X in the firewall section.

E: that said, I would change the TCP port to something like 4443. It’s weird to forward 443 somewhere on your home network because your NAS or something else might respond on it for HTTPS.

E2: wring udp port

I hadn’t gotten that to work before but it was the UDP port I had neglected. I’m in. Thanks.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Update/trip report:

I’m the guy who started running Adguard Home DNS on an old raspberry pi 3b+ (or whatever). It was great... until it wasn’t. Went on an unexpected road trip to be with family and my whole network went down about eight hours later.

When I got back home, I first thought it was my Hackintosh freezing or freaking out (since it started having issues), but I began having general routing problems over WiFi with multiple devices. Sites were slow or would time out. So I shut off the Pi, pointed my DNS to Adguard’s DNS, and life has been back to normal. So weird.

I suppose I could give PiHole a try. Maybe it’s my Pi being old. Or a bad SD card. I also have come to rethink how many devices my network depends on, so it’s easier to troubleshoot problems like this.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I have an ER-X connected to a TP-Link router as an access point. It's actually been fine. Solid wifi coverage (even out to the driveway), though I am replacing the wifi soon with an RAX45 from Costco.

I did make a mistake though. I upgraded the ER-X from 1.* firmware to 2.*. It was fine for a while, but in the past week, my ER-X would become unresponsive. I had to reboot it several times. It would work for a bit then just go down randomly. So disappointing. It seemed to be issues with the DHCP/DNS server. I am running NextDNS on there, but I had no issues before upgrading to the 2.* series. And even then, when I did upgrade, it's been fine for a few months. It's kind of strange.

I've downgraded to the 1.* series again. Anyone else see anything like this? Or is it just time to start thinking about a replacement for the ER-X?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

smax posted:

What specific version of the 2.x branch did you have? It was somewhat broken up to 2.0.9, if I remember right.

The latest hot fix. I saw a small dip in throughput from the 1.x series, but it was fine initially. I was using 2.0.9-hotfix-2.

The only thing I tried to enable more recently was IPv6, which Verizon doesn't support at the moment (but will in a month or so). Maybe I misconfigured it or something.

I'm at a loss, but since downgrading, my network has been stable again.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I upgraded to a WiFi 6 router (Netgear RAX45) from an older TP-Link that was no longer getting firmware. It’s been worth it. Of course, is it night or day? Nah. The older router was still solid but I’m happy for only like $130 spent at Costco. My iPhone 13 Pro Max definitely shows the speed increase.

I only use the router as an AP for what it is worth.

Oh and I do have Fios gig internet.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
In general, if your router starts to do flaky stuff, there are two scenarios in my experience:

1 - If it is a fairly new router, like < 1 year old, then it’s probably firmware related or can be fixed by turning off some newer feature or something (like MIMO). Do some looking on forums for workarounds or upgrade the firmware. If those don’t work, can you return it?

2 - If it is older, then it’s just getting near the end of its life. Some routers chug along for a while. Some might benefit from a refresh or an alternate firmware, but most have a limited shelf life. Time to upgrade. Don’t spend too much time when a decent upgraded router is like $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah but I'm not paying an electrician for something Xfinity should probably be doing. Anyway the wifi is 95% as good as a hard line... I just want to have the WLAN be on 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz is all.

I toggled on "Afterburner" on the FreshTomato router, even though it says it only affects 802.11g (and my laptop uses 802.11n for 2.4ghz) my laptop is now stable when receiving a stream at 20mbps instead of 10mbps. So either that setting helped or something else changed that I'm not aware of.

It’s possible to do something weird/complicated like add another router connected to the Tomato router that receives the signal. Connect them via Ethernet cable. Turn off the 2.4ghz on the Tomato router and then use the newer router to serve the entire signal in both bands.

But I concur - like you are still setting up something that would be easier fixed just by going to the original problem. Maybe try to find some XFinity technician and wine and dine them to get them to fix your problem. Invite them to move in and surely they will have the issue escalated.