Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tronester posted:

I'm using Cox premiere home internet service. My speeds are fine, though the monthly data cap is only 250 gigabytes.

When I first upgraded to this service, I would get near the limit pretty easily, as they have a data usage allowance page that shows you how much of your allotted transit you've used.

Any ideas on this?

When I had Cox service, my experience is that the data cap is very soft. I'd routinely exceed the allowance by 50 gigs or so each month and they never said boo. They rolled out the caps and the monitoring tool earlier this year in my area, and sent an email that said "We have data caps now. Use this tool and don't exceed them please kthxbye"

Basically I'm saying that regardless of what the tool says, I'd be shocked if they actually ever nag you about exceeding the cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So my parents have been complaining about their internet being crappy, slow and unreliable. I remembered that they had old hardware, so I asked for the model numbers on their modem and wireless router.
Their cable modem is a Motorola SURFBOARD SB4100, but they unfortunately no longer have the 90's :catdrugs: box.

They've probably had it for 12 or 13 years.

Their router is a Linksys WRT54G2v1, and they've had it probably since 2008. It's wireless G, and they could probably stand to upgrade.
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WRT54G2-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B0014J07R2

They have Cox, in Arizona. Cox's website says the following are their "preferred" models (which I think means, the ones that they sell)

Cox "preferred" posted:

Cisco DPC3825 (Single Band)
Netgear CG3000D (Single Band)
Netgear CG3000Dv2 (Single Band)
NetgearCG4500BD (Dual Band)
Ubee DDW365 (Single Band)
Ubee DDW366 (Dual Band)

Then they say, here are some DOCSIS 3.0 devices we support recommend as well. The Ultimate/preferred afterward is the highest compatible package that Cox will support on the modem. Preferred is 50mbps and Ultimate is 150mbps (with a biiiig asterisk next to that 150mpbs). I think my folks are on the 50mbps, so preferred vs ultimate isn't important to me.

Cox other recommended devices posted:

Cisco DPC3000 Preferred
Cisco DPC3010 Ultimate
DLink DCM301 Ultimate
Hitron-Zyxel CDA30360 Ultimate
ARRIS / Motorola SB6120 Preferred
ARRIS / Motorola SB6121 Preferred
ARRIS / Motorola SB6141 Ultimate
ARRIS / Motorola SB6180 Ultimate
ARRIS / Motorola SB6182 Ultimate
ARRIS / Motorola SB6183 Ultimate
ARRIS / Motorola SBG6580 (WiFi modem) Ultimate
ARRIS / Motorola SBG6782 (WiFi modem) Ultimate
Netgear CMD31T Preferred
Netgear CM400 Ultimate
Netgear C3000 (WiFi modem) Ultimate
Netgear C3700 (WiFi modem) Ultimate
Netgear N450 (WiFi modem) Note:This device is also known as the CG3000Dv2. Ultimate

I have an older (6 years old) Scientific Atlanta DPC2100, which Cox supports, that I can give them. It's DOCSIS 2.0, which maybe would help their speeds and reliability somewhat?
Their usage is one wired PC, two wifi connected blu ray players, an ipad and a laptop used for work/fun. I suspect they'd be happier using wireless N on their N devices.
Here are my questions:
1. Are any of the combined modem/routers from that list worth buying? It looks like some of them are $100-125, which is probably the upper limit on what they'd want to spend anyway.
2. If not, should I purchase a new, modern standalone modem (like the SB2161 and a new router? Use my old (new to them) DPC2100 cable modem, and upgrade the router? Swap out the modem, router, or both?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks folks. A 6121 and new router is on the way!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm thinking of running some ethernet cable. My only coax cable drop into the house (where the internet comes in) is right next to the TV (purple X). My router and everything is all there, and I'm happy with that. However, I need to get a cable to the red X, in the next bedroom (framed in yellow).
Running cable through the inside of an exterior facing, insulated wall sounds like a nightmare. The house is wood framed stucco, and the interior is textured drywall, the house is about 15 years old.
The ceilings are way tall, with no attic or crawlspace. The half-rear end cable installers would probably just drill a hole outside, run a cable along the roof line, and then drill another hole on the other end. I don't want to be a half-rear end cable installer homeowner, I want to give it a whole rear end effort. I'm concerned that that approach will look ugly on the outside and could cause moisture barrier issues.

I have a phone jack in that bedroom that goes to *somewhere*. I don't know if that helps me, but it at least gives me a convenient hole to work in.
It probably terminates at the electrical/phone box on the east side of the garage about halfway down.

That little built in niche is a cabinet in the wall with the TV. I'm considering getting some flat ethernet cable and running it along the inside of my baseboards, under the front door's kick plate (in green) and then pulling it through the wall to terminate in a keystone plug on the far side. My baseboards are 5 inches tall, and have a groove in the back that would probably fit one of those flat ethernet cables. For as annoying as doing baseboards is (I did them all when I retiled the floors), I think it's going to be way easier than punching holes in the walls.

Does that sound like a weird idea?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-Gigabit-R6200/dp/B008HO9DIG
Newegg has a flash sale on a refurb Netgear R6200 for $40. Worth it?
I'm replacing an old, crappy b/g router so really anything is an upgrade, but if it's worth the extra $40 to buy something much better, I'd rather do that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

emocrat posted:

So, do powerline ethernet adapters work well? I would like to connect my home theater setup to my router through ethernet, but the locations in the home make that difficult (but not impossible). Realistically, what would I expect from using a powerline adapter to connect a hub in the home theater to my router? Any recommended units?

I would also like to know. Newegg has a coupon on this one so it's $20 this week
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127481&Tpk=N82E16833127481

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Powerline-Extra-Outlet-PLP1200-100PAS/dp/B00S6DBGIS

Are those good? I want wired speeds without running wires.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Can I ask here about internet providers in the US? I'm in AZ.
I just had someone knock on the door selling AT&T fiber, but she took the hint and left because I was wrestling 3 screaming toddlers. Said she'd be back tomorrow, and didn't have any literature to leave, which seems kinda weird.
I definitely don't have a fiber drop to my house. All the coverage maps I see show just two decent providers (Cox cable which is ehhh and Centurylink DSL which is lolbad)

There are some parts of my town that have Centurylink FTTH, and about 10% of the houses in my neighborhood have access according to the map at broadbandnow.com. This sounds scammy. Is it?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Well, what a pleasant surprise. Cox just increased their cable speeds here from 100mb to 150mb at no charge, out of the goodness of their hearts.

In completely unrelated news, Centurylink Fiber just completed a big expansion into my area.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cox just added gigabit to my area, so I have just upgraded to Fingerblast Internet.

I have a new modem on the way, and am currently using an Archer C7. Is that router going to gate my speeds? I get pretty good coverage in my house.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Update on gigabit internet:

My Archer C5 does not appear to be up to the task. It's dropping the WAN connection frequently. The Cox support dudes said the modem is showing totally OK diagnostics from their end, good signal, normal amount of T3/4 drops.
The tech said it was really weird that he was seeing a flurry of IPv6 activity and address requests from my router, which makes him think that something's not right on the router's end with the IPv6.
I give up with this modem. Ordered an Edgerouter Lite and a AC Lite, going to set them up this week. I have a smallish house and have no problem getting 2.4ghz signal anywhere, and get good 5 ghz coverage in about 2/3rds of the house.

I'm somewhat network handy, though grossly out of practice since about the Windows XP era when home routers became idiot proof.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I've had half a dozen home routers get shifty with IPv6, and have always worked around by just turning IPv6 off. I know it's not ideal, but even my current AT&T router can't happily handle IPv6.

Correction, it's an Archer C7.

For some reason the little booger won't turn off IPv6. I go to disable it, it agrees, I restart, and it's back :argh:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'd like to install some ethernet cabling in my house (aka snakey bois). My home is traditional desert, slab-on-grade, no attic. Both the origin of the cable run and the destination are exterior facing walls. So, no attic, no crawlspace.

I'm thinking my best bet is to run out the wall, then do direct burial for about 50 feet, then go through the destination wall. The other option is to run a cable up the outside wall and follow the roof line, but I think this is likely to look stupid, especially since the roof at that point is pretty tall, about 20 feet up. I want to run two cables.

That said, any recommendations on where to buy ~150-200 feet of cable suitable for direct burial? I seem to recall that over those distances, I probably want solid strand copper rather than CCA, and I don't know how important it is to have shield/unshielded or rated for direct burial.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

stevewm posted:

You never want CCA cable, for any reason. Its poo poo.

Direct Burial CAT5/6 does exist.. However you'll be fine just burying standard solid CAT5/6. Really... you will. The jacket is PVC. It's going to a last a long time buried.

I have a 40ish ft run I buried to my garage 7 years ago that I recently unearthed while running some new landscape lighting. The cable still looks brand new after 7 years underground.

Thanks!

Next question: Does shielded matter for this run?

It will be right next to an air conditioner (on the ground, on a concrete slab), that is running 70% of the days each year because I'm a dummy who lives in the desert. Will EMI be a factor and should I use STP? Or will 6 inches of dirt on top make that a non-issue?

Also, I have gigabit internet at home and expect to live here for a while, so I want to bury good cable. Should I be using Cat 6A?

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 24, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I have cat5 already run in my house, but not the wall plates(contractor that remodeled just used cat 5 instead of phone line to every room).

They all terminate right where my router/switch already are, which is cool. Is there a good guide to wiring the wall plates and such?

The thing you want to buy are RJ 45 keystone jacks. There are 2 kinds, the ones that require a punchdown tool, and those that don't.
Here's how to do it with a punchdown tool. (like this one)https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Punch-Down-Blade/dp/B0072K1QHM
https://community.fs.com/blog/how-to-terminate-and-install-cat5e-cat6-keystone-jacks.html

You can also buy the kind that don't require a punchdown tool, but I've never used one and they seem a little finicky.
https://www.monoprice.com/manual/How%20to%20-%20tooless%20keystone.pdf

There's going to be a wiring diagram printed on it, but the secret is that any pattern will work as long as it is identical on both ends :ssh:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Home networking success story:

I have been having intermittent service interruptions on my cable network, from the WAN side. I also was not breaking 300Mbps, despite paying for gigabit speeds.

On a hunch, I went out to the cable box, and found that the coax line from the street fed a 3 way splitter. One of those went to my cable modem, and I have no idea where the other two went inside my house. I removed the splitter and connected a straight coupler. I'm now testing at 980Mbps, and haven't lost connection yet.

Check your boxes, cable customer goons.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

lwoodio posted:

So ATT can just pull my cat5 into their box on my outside wall and I'll be good?

Can you link an appropriate product for 7 cat 5 cables? I hadn't thought about that but it might be possible since I have to cut my upstairs hallway drywall to get at the top plate in the attic, since the top plate is underneath cubbies that are built into the attic knee wall in the upstairs hallway.

What you want is flexible, non-metallic conduit, aka smurf tube (because it's blue, get it?)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-in-x-100-ft-Electrical-Nonmetallic-Tubing-Conduit-Coil-Blue-12008-100/205874771

The 1 inch stuff will probably be too tight of a squeeze for 7 cables at about a quarter inch thick. Should work in theory, but I think it would be a bear to pull 7 runs through.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I spent the weekend digging a trench to run ethernet to my home office (no attic access, ask me how I discovered that)

Now I'm getting 950/35 mbit speeds for superior posting speed (posting quality remains unaffected)

I also had Cox run a tech out to diagnose my intermittent internet connectivity drops. He tried several things (including pulling a new line from the street) and told me my Motorola MB8600 was acting up, and tried an Arris modem off his truck. Worked great. He also told me that they were doing node splits in my area, and that my home is on the roadmap to eventually get a split with 10 or fewer addresses.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A big gaping hole in plain sight?

On a token ring network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Replaced my dinosaur Archer c7 with a Dream Machine and thus far it's pretty great. My desktops are all wired so I never noticed problems before, but my wife really suffered with wifi connectivity on her phone. Now it's all good