Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TraderStav posted:

Coming from Nest, how well does UniFi camera stuff work when not in the home.

I find the app to work well, and scrubbing through the timeline is very smooth, whether I'm at home or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, some gear still comes with very low grade ethernet cables, that are missing some of the conductors even. The Philips hue bridge, for example. It's fine there, it barely needs any bandwidth, but it's not a cable you'd want to use elsewhere

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

canyoneer posted:

On a token ring network

With a fancy gold terminator

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

I really, really hate myself for even feeling a need to ask this question, but...... does it make ANY difference what brand of Cat6 cables I use? For high-speed gigabit internet/ethernet, gaming, 4K ultra HD streaming poo poo, etc?

We just had some new ethernet wall ports installed in our house, and I’m replacing our old Cat5 cables with Cat6 ones. I want to get multicolored cables so I can easily tell what they’re all hooked up to whenever I have to gently caress around with them, but maaaaaan looking at this longass list of search results is giving me a loving headache. It might be nice to cut the list down a bit by excluding a particular brand name or two.

Is it Cat5 or Cat5e you're replacing? Cat5e is much more common, and I can't see why you'd want to replace it, unless it was the absolute cheapest copper-clad aluminium shite going. Unless you literally require 10Gbit networking everywhere, there isn't a benefit to replacing that cabling, it's more than enough for flawless 1Gbit performance, and 2.5Gbit is also perfectly fine on it, with 5Gbit being length limited

Edit: I guess there was a nugget of information in there, the actual conductor material. Pure copper for life, yo

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 28, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

Everything I’m replacing is Cat5 and not Cat5e.

Fair enough, that's some crusty old cable

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Those are CCA (aluminium) cables, which isn't great. Better to buy copper cables for long runs.

It implies that they aren't, on the page:

random cables on Amazon posted:

All Jadaol Cat6 cables are made of 100% bare copper wire as opposed to copper clad aluminum (CCA) wire, therefore fully compliant with UL Code 444, which requires pure bare copper wire in communications cables

I, too, try to avoid CCA cables

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Both. Sophos is hot garbage. They don't even make an uninstaller because that's not their problem.

I once went for an interview there and didn't get the job. Joke's on them, I'd already replaced their crap with something else at the company I was working for at the time :v:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 11, 2021

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

I want to vomit.

Oh dear, I've seen patch panels that require a much stronger stomach than that one

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You haven't truly died inside until you've seen an entire row of full cabinets that can't even have the doors closed thanks to bad cabling.

Nothing like mostly empty cable trays above the cabs with cables dangling across the front :c00lbutt:

Nothing as permanent as a temporary solution that works!

Bonus if you can find some hideously contorted fibre, and switches that can't actually be seen for all the mess

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 15, 2021

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

fletcher posted:

This doesn't seem all that bad to me

Nah, it's pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Jolo posted:

Wow, changing the netgear's channel to a less busy one took the ps4 from 20mbps to 60mbps. I did this years ago at an apartment but completely forgot about it here in a house in the suburbs.

If that blows your mind, just think what you could get with the new-fangled technology called a cable