Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Mook posted:

Hmm, the Asus RTN16 doesn't do 5ghz band though. Does that really make a difference? My apartment is pretty small, my router is maybe 10 feet from where I do my computing and within line of sight, though I do have poured concrete walls. I get full signal right now. I just feel like Im wasting my 50Mbit bandwidth only accessing 10 of it over wifi. Though if I get the N16 I could try to use their built in NAS/Torrent stuff to mitigate that slightly.

I'm on 100MBit fiber and my mobile phone maxes out at around 20Mbit on my RT-N16. I sort of regret not just buying one of the RT-N56/66 or whatevers. But then again I only use wireless for my phone. My desktop will max out at 100 up/down through the RT-N16 unless I turn on SNMP in DD-WRT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That E2000 is one of the affected Linksys by the current worm. I'd swap it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

TheEye posted:

I have an ASUS RT-N56U. I've never upgraded its firmware, so I decided to a little while ago. I downloaded the file from the ASUS website, unzipped it, and selected it to upload to the router via its firmware update tab.

It has said "Please wait, Proceeding..." for the past half hour. I assume it's not actually doing anything. Anyone know what's going on?

edit: It has (and shipped with) version 1.0.1.8j. I'm trying to install the latest non-beta firmware, 3.0.0.4.374.979.

You need to check if your IP is on this list: http://pastebin.com/ASfYTWgw

Have you tried just reconnecting to your router?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I run the merlin firmware on my Asus RT-N16 btw. Seems to work ok.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Maybe this will help someone else. I was looking for a new router to run pfsense and found this:
http://www.mini-box.com/MITAC-PD12TI-D2500CCE-Mini-ITX-Motherboard

It's actually an Intel board with a pair of real Intel nics. That plus the case they show on the page and $10 on ebay for 2gb of so-dimms for a new pfsense box ~$170.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

nvm, think I'll try an erl

phosdex fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 11, 2014

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Caydence posted:

Network noob here:

I have just purchased and setup an Asus RT-N16 router and it is great. I also bought a 1TB USB HDD to use with it (WD My Passport Ultra). I want to use the USB Drive attached to the router as a network file share, but I have no idea how to set it up. Everything I can find is for setting it up to access files from outside my network, and I do not want that. I want it only available to the internal network users. I'm truly wanting the ability to allow certain network users have read/write to certain folder (if possible) and read on everything else.

I'm assuming you're using the Asus firmware? You want to enable samba sharing from the USB Applications, Servers Center link on the left.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Depends on your connection. RT-N16 will handle up to around 120mbps and be completely unresponsive during it. I use mine as just an AP now.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Noxious posted:

Will I have a similar problem with the N66U or the AC66U. Should I be looking at something else entirely?

smallnetbuilder says the AC66U can do 240 with the firewall on.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

redeyes posted:

Does anyone know how to force a particular computer (Windows 2012 Server R1) to be the Master Browser on my network? Another Windows 7 computer keeps stealing the Master Browser and not finding the server itself so the rest of my computers wont populate the Network map with the server. I don't want to use a Domain because that is super overkill for my network.

On the Win7 machine check this registry setting:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
IsDomainMaster should be false.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

redeyes posted:

That does work at preventing one computer from being the master browser.. but then another one takes over, and not my server. Gah!

Do you happen to have mdns running somewhere and use a .local internal domain?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Sounds like a samba issue. Probably something with what device is trying to assert itself as master. Check your devices to see if there is a setting to disable becoming master.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

So I have a part-time weekend job that is real close by. It's 238 feet in a straight line from my apartment (though there are 2 houses blocking los). I have gigabit fiber at home and no internet at work. Is there a fairly cheap way to extend my network that far? It looks like a pair? of Ubiquiti Nanostations would work?

phosdex fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 31, 2014

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Minidust posted:

Just moved into an upstairs apartment. Router is downstairs with the landlord. I'd like to get a wired connection upstairs if I can help it, and the landlord is willing to let me set that up. I'm fine with hiring a pro to do it -- is there some type of business that specializes in wiring ethernet cable? Or maybe some chain store that I wouldn't have thought of that offers an ethernet wiring service?

Cable installers are good at running it. Put an ad on craigslist.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I posted a while back wondering if using a pair of ubiquiti nanostations to extend my wifi from my apartment 230 some feet would work.

Well I bought 2 nanostation loco m2's and right now they've got a 2 bar link. I think I can get a better link with moving the "base" unit around more but I actually ran outta cable. Going to buy a window mount for one of em too.

Anyway thats my story of extending my network across the neighborhood.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have them mounted indoors, I don't think they can handle the outdoors. I don't have line of sight at all which is why I was curious if this would work at all. I have to shoot through one house and probably the edge of another.

edit; this is in airmax mode, which kinda stinks because normal client devices can't connect in this mode.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

While screwing with my nanostations today I got a notification that 5.5.10 firmware was released for a bunch of ubiquiti products.

quote:

Regulatory updates:
- New: Open 5150-5250MHz frequency range for United States and Puerto Rico (U.S. territory) countries. This change applies for product models listed bellow:

* Rocket M5/Rocket M5 Titanium
* NanoStation M5
* NanoStation M5 Loco
* NanoBridge M5

- New: Add 40MHz channel bandwidth for New Zealand

Also I got in the ubiquiti window mount for the loco m2 and to anyone else, just buy a cheap window mount instead of the branded one. This thing does not actually clip-in to an m2. I just used some velcro ties to hold it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

onecircles posted:

My family and I live in the same apartment complex and I'm looking into setting up a repeater so that I can mooch off their wifi, but before I commit the dollars I want to know if this will be possible given the layout of the constructions in the area. Both of our apartments are 4 feet below ground. The smaller structure that the blue line passes through is a covered picnic area with 4 large concrete pillars. In the second photo you can see that there is only a small window of direct line of sight from one apartment to the other. The distance between the two apartments is about 60-45 meters or 162-216 feet.

We're also going to upgrade our router/wifi modem combo, and our current pic is the netgear n600. Will it's reputedly good transmission strength be enough to bridge this gap? Will I require a retransmitter? Or is extending my wifi across this stretch of buildings impossible? Any help much appreciated.

if one of those houses that isn't in the way WAS in the way, that would be pretty similar to what I'm screwing around with. I bought 2 Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco m2s (~$100 total) that seem to be working out ok. But my base station is up on the 3rd floor.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Lork posted:

Is there an application for Windows that lets me point it at a running process and see which ports that process is using?

I can't say the exact command line right now, but netstat built-in can show you ports per process. For a gui, process explorer can iirc. On windows 10 I think you can find a way to view it from task manager too I believe.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I run pfsense on a celeron g1620 with intel nics for my gigabit fiber.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Painfully stupid question about my Cable Modem. I've got an oldish Motorola Surfboard SB5101, Comcast considers this device 'end of life'. Is this something I actually need to care about?

I've been having constant internet disconnects for the last 2 weeks or so and I called them up to send someone to look at the problem, and this was something they brought up. I'm under the assumption they are just full of poo poo as usual but I figured I should probably ask for sure.

What speed are you paying for? That modem says it has a 38mbps max. They want you to upgrade to a docsis 3 or whatever modem.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

to get really nitpicky, consumer unmanaged switches are mostly the same. If you want to push lots of data across them you have to dig really hard to find throughput numbers. Low end switches may have gigabit compatible ports, but the throughput may not be.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That sound like a pretty nice little box, looks like it has a wifi card too.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Comatoast posted:

You're looking for an Alix board from netgate. There is a recent revision of the 2d3 boards for around $200.

there's some pretty slick 1150 boards with dual intel nics for $150.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

I work for a large cabling firm and no we won't touch houses a residential electrician usually does that work for us and he sucks at it they mostly suck at it. If it's your house spend a hundred bucks on cabling/tools and just do it yourself it's not hard and it will probably be done better.

You know who has all those tools and cable? Cable installers. People give Comcast a lot of poo poo, but seriously, having a buddy who is a cable installer is pretty handy.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What's Ethernet port next to your computer mean? Are you at college?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

hey I checked the op and it's like 3 years old. My boss is making me find a decent router & wireless printer for his friend, and I haven't looked into any of that in years. Any advice on what router to pick? I guess this dude has like a grand to blow, but I can't see him doing anything insane so that's probably over budgeting. It'd be preferable to get something that just works, I don't want to deal with any kind of bs more than what I already have to.

It turns out that I'd have to try and set up the network here, then the dude takes this poo poo to his loving cabin and plugs it in and it works? I'm gonna just quit maybe, idk.

that sounds like an Apple AirPort Extreme kinda situation. really sucks working at places that make you do that kinda poo poo.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey, if I were to theoretically make a new thread on this subject, with a new OP and all that jazz, would anybody care to write up something about m0n0wall/pfSense?

Not sure if m0n0wall still needs to be mentioned, project came to an end earlier this year.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

You can also build a pfsense router pretty cheap really. That won't cover wireless but if you want something better than a generic consumer router, you can do it for under $200.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't really know much about how they work, I just know on pfsense at least, you choose to use either dnsmasq (old way) or unbound (added with 2.2? I think). Unbound is set to only query root servers.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Networx on windows is pretty useful https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

If you're on windows 10, task manager can show per application usage under the Users tab.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Intel dq77kb is what I use for my pfsense box, it's an awesome socket 1155 board with dual nics, msata support in mini thin-itx. It's discontinued but you can still find it around. Amazon has it ranging from $89 to 149. This plus a Celeron G1620 $(40), 2GB ram from eBay ($10), mini-box.com m350 case ($40) and an old laptop power supply handle my gigabit fiber.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I use a TP-Link TL-SG2424 ~$170. Really works well for me. No POE though.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

Doublepost for something different:

Has anyone heard of a router firewall blocking Windows Update? I've got two laptops with 7, they can access the internet but for some reason they refuse to update. It just sits and spins on Checking for updates. I'm using pfSense as the router/firewall.

are you running snort or the other ids I can't think of the name of? Check the blocked list

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

Speaking of pfSense are there any packages I should be adding in?

The ones I think are the most useful::

autoconfigbackup: offsite config backup. requires pfsense gold
mailreport: configurable reports sent daily/monthly/yearly
openvpn client export util: useful if you're using openvpn
snort: ids

squid: caching proxy if you have enough users or a tight bandwidth cap or something

phosdex fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 28, 2015

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What dns server are you handing out to your dhcp clients. What domain are you using for your local network. Iirc, bonjour uses .local and can cause problems if your using that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

does it have some implementation of samba? normally you modify smb.conf with local master = yes and preferred master = yes.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah I use a pair of Nanostation Loco M2's to get internet access about 290 feet away from my home router. I don't have direct line of sight so sometimes it drops signal but it's workable for general browsing.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Rukus posted:

10GbE gear is going to be much more affordable in the next few years due to 802.11AC breaking the 1Gbps barrier. Keep an eye out on what Ubiquiti will be sure to cook up (Edgeswitch with 10GbE and PoE would be nice.)

I think we might see 2.5 and 5 gigabit gear first. I can already get 2.5/5/10 gigabit service, just don't have the hardware or the need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Where do you live? :stare: Here in CT I only get 40Mbps down and 6Mbps up. Cox used to set it to 20/20 but somebody finally realized residential download more than upload.

Minneapolis, MN. US Internet was somehow able to get the ok to lay fiber across parts of the city and provide services. The rollout has been kind of slow, it's been like 4 years now and they've only covered roughly a quarter of the city.