Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hey guys, I just moved into a new house and signed up with a smaller regional cable ISP. They confirmed I can use any old cable modem, and while currently I'm at 50 down/5 up they hinted that may at least double in the near future. Not amazing, but a hell of a lot better than I'm used to. Either way, I'm looking to ditch their modem/router rental and save the $10/mo.

Given that speeds are likely to stay modest here until we wind up with gigabit fiber in a few years, what's a pretty bland, reliable standard option for a modem? Some random flavor of Surfboard?

I'm willing to go pretty fancy on a router too, if there's something that's going to serve me well into when I get gigabit service. I'm flexible about price and not at all shy about flashing it with some third party stuff, so it doesn't necessarily need good firmware out of the box. Top concerns here are longevity, quality, and reliability. Anything stand out based on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've got a pretty quick and easy question about new equipment. I'm outgrowing the ~6 year old stuff I have and work crunch right now is keeping me from putting in the time and effort to do much research into what's available.

What is your ISP? WideOpenWest cable
what speed are you paying for? 500/50
What speeds are you getting? 265/50 (I'm running an 8 down/4 up channel DOCSIS 3.0 modem)
All wifi? Wired? A mix, see use case details below.
How many floors? One
Budget? Doesn't particularly matter.
Are you willing to run cable? If I have to, but it's probably unnecessary.

My old Surfboard's held up well and all, but it obviously caps out well under what I'm getting, and at the rate my ISP upgrades their speeds I'll probably need to accommodate a gigabit or more within the next year or two. As for the LAN I've got an old Archer C7 that's pretty regularly making GBS threads the bed these days. Near-daily power cycles to get the wifi working again, etc. On top of this I hadn't even heard of Wifi 6 before I got the PS5 and now it seems like everything I'm planning on buying or being issued from work anytime soon comes with it.

I keep the modem and router in my office which opens into the living room. My PC is cabled directly into the router, and in the living room I use wifi for my PS5 (which is primarily a Plex box right now and has an unobstructed wifi signal from about 15-20' away). Those are the main two things that use any significant amount of bandwidth so I'm guessing it may not be worth the effort of running cable through the walls, especially since the PS5 is at the bottom of an 18' wall.

Given all that, what's a good option for a modem and router that'd last me a while?