Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
There's a lot of good advice in this thread. I need some! I seem to be having random DNS lookup issues after installing DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT54G V8.2. I flashed DD-WRT v24-sp2 micro without a hitch. My setup is just a basic cable broadband 1.5Mbs > modem > wifi router so nothing really tricky. DNS lookup will stop at seemingly odd times, but more frequently when there's more traffic on my network. Sometimes browsing the PYF Gifs thread is enough to start showing red Xs where gifs should be downloading. After a few more minutes, DNS lookup fails totally and I'll need to telnet into the router to reboot. Sometimes I can't even ping the router so I'll need to do a hard reboot. Sometimes DNS lookup will return on its own if I wait long enough after my network traffic has died down but obviously the reboot fixes the issue immediately.

I first noticed problems while trying to download games through Steam. Any current connections would continue to work (IM; Skype; Steam download; bittorent) but after 5 to 10 minutes of downloading or so, trying to browse webpages would yield:

code:
The server at forums.somethingawful.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. 
Since my router only has 8MB (2MB flash) I thought maybe I was maxing out active IP connections. I have my max ports at 1024 but reduced the TCP and UDP timeouts down to 90 seconds. Initially I thought this fixed my problem since it only existed when I was using Bittorrent/Steam installs/downloading 4 or more files. A few days later, now just browsing youtube or imgur is sometimes enough to eventually have DNS lookup fail.

It's just myself with a desktop and my roommate with a laptop. He tells me he isn't torrenting or the like and has shown me his laptop was off when we intermittently have problems. The status page on the router webpage confirms there's only two clients connected. When I have DNS problems, his computer will have the same so I've pretty much nailed it down to the router.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? I'll admit I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to flashing routers but the process seemed straightforward enough and it came up just fine after a 30/30/30 reset. Using Windows Firewall and MSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

Is it possible your whole connection is dropping? What does the steam download graph look like when this happens? You're sure the steam download continues uninterrupted? Steam will continue to retry, so if you're not watching the graph you might not notice the outage.

My whole connection drops when I download games from steam or during other big downloads. I assume it's my crappy cable modem but I don't have the energy to troubleshoot it.

Nope. I'm quite certain my current connections remain. For instance I can remain on a video call on skype and the camera quality doesn't seem to drop at all. I used the DNS google servers like UndyingShadow suggested but this didn't seem to fix the problem. I updated my Tera online client last night which uses p2p and I watched my router status webpage like a hawk. Memory didn't go over 96% used (it idles at 95%) and active IP connections never reached more than 211 out of 1024.

What I did notice is that eventually the CPU load average peaked out at 100% and remained there. After maybe 3 or 4 minutes of sustained 100% CPU usage (1.2Mbps or so), the router stopped doing DNS lookup. So does that mean I should look into doing some QoS? Is the router getting flooded? I wouldn't think so since the IP connections seem low in my eyes. I'm new to DD-WRT, but I know that it's what has caused the issue. Before the firmware update, I downloaded 20+ gigs worth of patches for Tera on p2p and could still browse just fine. It's like my router is choking and keeps active connections but won't do DNS lookup anymore.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

If anyone has been eyeing getting into Ubiquiti gear:

https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/whats-new/products/udm-pro

$100 off Dream Machine Pro. Don't see them come up on sale very often.