Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I like to use Panduit for home wiring projects.

I may or may not have my entire house wired with panduit netkey gig rated keystone jacks and plates, courtesy of our wiring supply closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

CuddleChunks posted:

Wireless is rough stuff and home wireless is worse because every neighbor fires up their own little router and clogs the airwaves with their poo poo.

its me, im the lovely neighbor. Ubiquiti AP at the peak of my attic...haven't done a proper site survey, but let's just say that streaming pandora over wifi-only on my blackberry in every corner of my yard works just fine.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Plastik posted:

I need something that will automatically try to renew the IP lease frequently so I can get good documentation on when it is failing.

:START
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
sleep 900
GOTO START

sleep.exe can be found in the server 2003 resource kit. Adjust the value after sleep to reflect the number of seconds you wish to wait.

Jonny 290 posted:

Also, is there a reason you're using cat6?

My cat6, keystone jacks, and wallplates were all free. :pervert:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

abuimak posted:

I used Inssider to see the 2.4ghz networks and there was a lot of them since I'm doing all of this from my business.

Post the spectrum graph.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sometime around when holography over skype becomes a reality for the common consumer.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
^^^ Yeah, where to start...

Triikan posted:

But what about my precious WRT54GLs :ohdear:

Just decommissioned mine for virtualized pfsense running in esxi. :)

Keeping it on standby as a spare in case the WRT54GL at my parents or sister's houses crap out and they need a replacement.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The latter. (Some) PCI wireless adapters have the antenna coming right out the back, and having an antenna right next to a big hunk of metal isn't great for signal propagation.

vvv AOL Dialup still exists! vvv

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 20, 2012

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Connect to second wrt54gl directly
set a static address in the same range as your current network (.2 works well)
configure wireless ssid/security to be identical to the other router
configure one router to be on channel 1, and one on channel 11
disable dhcp services on the second router
plug in ethernet cable lan to lan
profit

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Smegmalicious posted:

Is this still the best way to replace the awful Comcast modem I'm renting for insane amounts of money each month? Let me tell you, I'm sick of their crap.

Yup. Just call up tech support, tell them you have your own modem, they'll want some information off of it (Mac, serial, etc) to set up the provisioning, then plug it in and reboot it and you should be good to go. Make sure you get the rental one returned and the monthly fee canceled...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
2 cat6 per drop, two drops per room on walls that make sense. You don't have to patch them all in at once, but everything entertainment is becoming network connected. Also consider consolidating all of your media systems to the same closet - hdmi over dual cat6 with ir repeaters are cheap.

Run conduit where appropriate and leave in pull strings as well.

Run cat6 but don't terminate where you think you might put in exterior cameras, thermostats, etc. and document where they are.

You get what you pay for when it comes to patch panels and keystone jacks - if you can afford Panduit Netkey, do it. I guarantee you won't regret it.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 5, 2012

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

LTBS posted:

I'm also getting a bunch of RJ-45 tips to make small cables for the patch to switch run. Going to label them all very well too.

Just buy the patch cables from monoprice. It'll be more hassle than it's worth to create 10+ short patch cables. Remember, you don't have to have every port hot all at once.

Labelmakers own. I labeled all of my ports as well, just do something simple like P1-1/2 on the top of a 4 port plate, and P1-3/4 on the bottom so it's obvious.

DaNzA posted:

Four ports each room seems a bit excessive.

Not if they're on opposite walls to account for furniture rearrangement, an iptv set top box, etc. 4 ports behind an entertainment center seems about right, since everything entertainment is going networked. My next receiver will be network-capable, and my tv already is. Add in an apple tv/boxee box and an xbox and you have the four ports easy.

Dropping in a switch off of a wallplate to handle a room is a piss-poor excuse for not doing proper planning of a wiring job to handle current and potential future needs. Do it right, or don't do it at all imo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

fletcher posted:

I got a Asus RT-N16 that I want to use with a U-Verse 2wire router/modem/wifi combo device, since it didn't support gigabit ethernet or wireless n. I wasn't sure which DHCP server I should be using. Do I disable DHCP on the RT-N16 and just use it as more of a switch, with the 2wire handling DHCP? Or disable DHCP on the 2wire, enable it on the RT-N16, give the RT-N16 a static IP and DMZ it, and then have all my devices connect use the RT-N16, like the crappy 2wire one isn't even there anymore. Or am I completely off here and there is something else I should be doing?

Turn off wireless on the 2wire gateway, static reservation for the wan interface of the RT-N16, and DMZ+ it - all of your devices connect behind the RT-N16, be it wired or wireless. I do exactly this but with a pfsense VM and it works like a charm with port forwarding, etc. Your set top boxes will remain plugged in to the ethernet ports of the 2wire gateway for TV purposes.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 9, 2012

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Maneki Neko posted:

Come wire my house plz.

$100/hr plus T&E. It's the first thing I did when I bought the house, single story ranch helped make that quite a bit easier.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Teabiscuit posted:

Rented place.

ask the landlord

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Has anyone played with/installed a UnFI AP-AC-PRO? If yes, what is the coverage like in typical residential construction?

We might be putting in an offer on a house early next week, and I'd need to majorly upgrade the wireless we have in our current house. Current house is a single story ranch so I put a nanostation m2 up in the attic pointing down, but that won't be suitable for a two-story house. I'll probably get two APs, one up on the second floor and the second on the ceiling in the garage. Might as well go AC and futureproof for a bit.

The realities of running cable in a two-story house means i'm gonna have to start living with wifi for more than just web browsing/phones/tablets, though hell or high water i'm running ethernet to my desktop from the rack in the garage where the switch/router/servers are gonna go.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just ordered a UAP-AC-PRO, can't wait to replace the NSM2 that's been running in my attic the last 6 years. :woop:

Maybe I can use the NSM2 as a wireless bridge for the corner of the garage I don't want to run ethernet for the rare occasion i'm working on a wired-only PC, anything has to be better than the wrt54gl with dd-wrt that i'm using now.

I also need to get off my rear end, figure out how to implement vlans on the managed dell switch I have in my rack, and implement a completely segmented guest wireless network.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 30, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
UAP-AC-PRO installed and operational. Still need to mess with settings but the basic SSID is up for now; that's all I had time for last night. Next up is tweaking wireless settings, then spinning up a completely isolated guest network. Now where did I put that cli reference for my managed switch...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

CrazyLittle posted:

You should use a wifi survey tool to see if you're getting good 5ghz signal strength through the ceiling.

I probably will at some point, but I'm not sure if I even have any 5ghz capable devices. I might have a linksys dual-band n usb adapter on my garage computer, but I'd have to check the model number.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MeKeV posted:

My UAP-AC-Lite has been up and rock solid for a little while now, I've not done any fiddling beyond the initial set up (which was about as straight forward and easy as things could get).

I'm going to have a closer look over the controller settings at the weekend to see what can be done beyond the basic settings, though I may not change anything as it's working perfectly. But I was just wondering about the guest network option, does the UAP itself sort out allowing internet access while restricting home network access, or would I need to create a separate vlan on my router (ASUS) and then link the second SSID to that vlan?

To get it completely segmented out/isoldated you will need to create another vlan/subnet and tag the guest ssid with that; it's on my todo list but I haven't set aside time to make it happen.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Antillie posted:

If you make a new SSID and check the box for "Apply guest policies (captive portal, guest authentication, access)" you will get a separate guest network without needing to mess around with VLANs. Just go down to the "Guest Control" section and make sure that the subnet for your LAN is listed in the restricted subnets section. (By default this section contains all three RFC1918 networks so you probably won't have to make any changes here.) The AP itself will do the necessary layer 3 filtering. If you also want to use the gust portal then the Unifi controller needs to be running 24-7.

You can of course still go the full blown separate subnet/VLAN route if you want. But unless you want to do layer 4 access policies it isn't necessary.

Really, that sounds interesting...though I think I still want a totally isolated vlan; i'll just add a tagged interface in pfsense and use that for routing out, then hit the router and AP switchports with a trunk. Once that's done, tag the guest ssid, done. I don't need to be this complex, I'm just trying to use it as a learning tool to make my network skills better. I know theory, not practical CLI stuff that I'm trying to learn.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s only taken me a year since moving in to the new house but I finally have the network fully run including fiber drops to the second floor. Ran the fiber/ethernet into a cabinet in the laundry room. That way 10 years down the road when my kids are teenagers and there are external POE cameras, the cabinet gets locked so they can’t gently caress with them.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
What’s the upload difference?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What was your thought process that led you to the conclusion that wifi mesh is the only/best solution for your new house?

And how big are we talking here? Mine is 3200 sq ft, 2 story+basement and I have my UAP-AC-PRO mounted in the exact center of the first floor in a closet. I get perfect signal in every corner of the house. I want to add a second AP for the hell of it but I honestly don’t need to.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Also don’t just use the entire 1u server as a router, install esxi and install whatever router software you want as a VM. That way you can use it for other VMs and services as well.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The UDM pro is pretty drat tempting, but I’m not sure I want to be locked in to their camera ecosystem. I’d rather have a separate NVR that can talk to any normal IP POE camera.

After being in this house for over a year and wiring the hell out of everything I finally got one of the last pieces of the network sorted out. When the Comcast tech came by for install, he just dropped a short cable inside the wall (plugged in to my workbench) from the moca splitter for the power injector. It’s been an annoying pain in the rear end from day one so I finally got off my rear and did something about it.

Two new RG6 quad run to the network rack, some sch40 conduit, and that problem is solved. As a bonus, the injector is now on the battery backup. I also just upgraded my DL180G6 virtualization host to a sff desktop, apparently there are now VMware drivers for usb3 gig Ethernet adapters now!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Agreed, I’ve pretty much run that for years and haven’t had any issues with a pfsense vm/ubiquiti AP combo, it’s rock solid.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The Home Networking Thread: kinda sitting here with my UniFi limp in my hand

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You can get them with fewer Us, but basically something like this:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Alternate option along those lines, I put an IDF in the second floor laundry room to eventually run cameras to. Something like this might work.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There’s a pic at the bottom of the last page, the fiber feeds down to the main rack in the basement. 2 x OM4 MM and compatible keystones as well as 4 x cat6e.

The orange crap is free OM3 from work, I’ll get proper length patch fibers when this actually gets used. Doesn’t really matter right now since I only have 1gig sfp capable equipment currently.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I misspoke, it’s OM3 between the panels and OM2 patching in up top. Works well enough for 1G for now, with capability for 10G once I get the right equipment. I ran fresh coax from the Comcast splitter outside to the rack; now the power return line for the splitter is on the battery backup.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Beverly Cleavage posted:

What would you do here?

Hit that button that shows my posts in this thread and read backwards, my house specs are pretty much identical to yours. If you’re doing the work yourself instead of paying per drop, you’ll probably come out ahead by just buying two boxes of cat6e. Definitely run two where you want just one, and four behind your av cabinet. Dumb switches may be cheap but why not do it right?

Is there a closet in the middle of the house on the first floor? That’s where I have my UAP-AC-PRO situated and I get drat near perfect signal in every corner of the house on all three floors.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
And if it’s next to the router, why not just....plug it in to Ethernet?

Or is this a super lovely Wifi-only smart tv

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Good enough for a dispensary curbside pickup, good enough for your house. :colbert:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have the same with my setup, with the addition of running another coax line from the outside powered Comcast splitter to the rack for the power injector. Thankfully I’ve never had to test any of this, our power in this area is extremely stable.....in the ten years we’ve lived in this neighborhood, I can count the number of power outages on one hand.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what's the current preferred software router/firewall?

Anyone running something like pfSense or ClearOS as router but in a VM instead of a SBC?

pfSense in a VM here, works like a charm - been running this way for years and years. You just need a second nic in whatever VM host you have. External host nic plugs directly in to the cable modem, map your virtual networks to the appropriate VM network interfaces, and you’re up and running. I’m interested in trying OPNSense but pfSense works just fine and I’m not using it for anything beyond a basic router/firewall.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 17, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Other than dimension, are you set on open frame vs. enclosed? I would think having them enclosed especially in the tight space you have would be a pain in the rear end to deal with. It’s a utility closet, it doesn’t need to be pretty.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There is no way in hell I’m putting internet-connected cameras on the outside of my house. Besides the bandwidth use, I don’t want to rely on paying for some cloud service that will disappear in 2 years.

When I get around to designing a camera system my gun safe has power and Ethernet pass through, so the IP camera DVR goes inside there.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Plug a cable from computer to computer, set a static IP in the same range on both of them. Gigabit is auto-mdix so you don’t have to worry about a crossover cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got tired of my phone dropping off of WiFi in the garage during conference calls, so I just ordered another UAP-AC-PRO.

The current AP is in a closet in the middle of the first floor. I’m gonna shift it closer to the garage and mount it in the pantry, then take the second AP and put it in the master bedroom closet on the second floor.

Hopefully this won’t result in terrible signal in the basement, that would be a shame if I had to order a third AP!