Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just took delivery of an Asus N66 Dark Knight, should be a nice upgrade over the Virgin Superhub (which is essentially a basic Netgear router hacked to remove half its functionality, reskinned and put into a box with presumably a piece of string as an aerial inside, because there's nothing outside). Should be a nice leap up, our house is big so I've had to rely on two wireless routers covering all rooms, and the old Linksys meant that got stuck down to G-band.

Glad I read the manual about how to position the aerials though, I put 5 walls between the Asus and my MacBook Air and with them all vertical could only get a transmit rate of 5. Set them up correctly and now I get 130mbit. Sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's generally the easiest way of making a Windows files system accessible from outside the house? I'm going to be away for a few months, so providing my fileserver stays up I'd like to be able to jump in and grab stuff as needed. I have VNC Server running on it so I can use the interface at least, but moving files back/forth obviously not supported. I have VPN elements on my router (an ASUS N66u) but when I tried the before I could use the internet connection at my house OK (i.e. 'whats my IP' websites would return the line where the box sits), but I couldn't see any of the machines on the network. Not sure if the updated and 3rd party Merlin firmware I use changes that at all but could be worth another shot if that's generally regarded as a way to do this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've never tried teamviewer before, I'll bung an install on while I'm away for a few days and see how it is. What's the disadvantages to using it over a mountable system? I honestly thought it was more of a VNC client, so I'll do some reading up.

Yeah, this is my plex server I'm talking about so that part should be golden. It's a shame my main playback client is the older Apple TV, as I'll lose plex ability as it relies on PlexConnect which has to be run local. I could run that on my laptop I suppose, just means relying on that always being up. Probably worth the 30 minutes to get it up and running though. Cheers!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah fair, that should be fine as if I'm transferring any video it's because it'll end up on a USB stick to put on a cheap and cheerful media player anyway so in theory shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like a winner, thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a domain binded to the router for other services so sounds worth giving another shot. Did you leave everything on pretty much defaults? If you have a screenshot of how its setup for you (minus anything personal of course), that would be appreciated. I could probably get benefits from running both that and TV side by side.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Very much appreciated, I'll try replicate tonight as I'm away for a few days and can see if it works. I'll also install TV and see how I get on with that.

e: of course nothing ever works the way as expected. Easy-RSA is no longer bundled with OpenVPN, but presumably because the OpenVPN install on the server is only for the key generation, it doesn't matter if I install an old as poo poo copy just to do that right, as it's not going to actually be running?

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 23, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it definitely the same? OpenVPNs page stated

quote:

Easy-rsa

Starting with openvpn-2.3_alpha2 easy-rsa is no longer part of the OpenVPN source or binary packages. It can be downloaded separately from it's GitHub project page.

So I just grabbed the version that the guide itself used to make life easier. As said, I'm doubting the key generation part has changed at all and as OpenVPN won't be running any security changes won't actually be an issue.

Managed to generate some keys (I've done this before for PlexConnect but it's different enough that I'm happy to do everything line by line as per the guides) and just done a refresh so I can do it again with a clearer head and not having my SET parameters full of garbage, ha. Should be up and running soon, thanks again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think it's worked out fine, I'll know 100% when I head to my parents for Xmas tomorrow as I couldn't get my laptop to play ball tethering to my phone today for some reason (maybe my carrier has decided to block it, the gifts). I was able to put the cert and keys on my phone through an Open VPN software, and then connect to my server and browser folders, view images etc while off WiFi though so I reckon it's all good. Thanks again! Glad things improved on it, as I gave up a few years ago (pre-Merlin) when other people said they could connect to the network but not to anything worthwhile.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's the threads general opinion of TP LINK gear? I needed to replace my parents' Asus DSL router which suddenly decided to stop sharing the WAN connection out, but the TP LINK (W8970) has been a bit of a mixed bag. The CP is surprisingly good, the range out of the box was abysmal but firmware updates seemed to fix that. However, I'm in real fear of ever rebooting the thing as whether the wifi will connect is so dodgy. Last time I spent hours doing factory resets, and trying to connect any way possible and it just wouldn't let anything else on.

Their house is all Apple gear (iPad, Apple TV belonging to them, iPhone, MBA when I'm there) but there is a 'barely alive' Windows box there which I've had to rely on to connect via wire when nothing in the house will connect via wifi. For some reason after going into the control panel and messing with some of the network settings, things were able to join again. I have no idea what's gong on with it.

I'm thinking of returning/selling it and getting something that's known to play well with regards to stability. It's not as if they need anything more than the DSL modem part, a LAN port or two, and decent enough range.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 4, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Antillie posted:

The Archer line (C5, C7, C9) is pretty good and offers great bang for your buck in price/performance (don't bother with the C8, its almost a C7 that costs almost as much as a C9). However if it is an Apple house then the Airport Extreme is probably worth looking into. Its pricey but its a high quality piece of hardware and Apple products really like other Apple products in an almost creepy sort of way. The time capsule (or an external drive plugged into the Airport Extreme) is also an option if adding an easy backup solution for the various Macs would be a plus.

I think you're right, and I'll look into getting an Apple Extreme if its within their budget. I was always 50/50 about them because I didn't like the idea of the CP being done over an app (does it still do this?), but the idea of it never loving up when I'm many thousands of miles away is reassuring.

e: ah crap, they don't have DSL modems in built. Kinda need that otherwise it's even more hardware daisy chained together. I'll keep looking! Maybe those Archers would work better, I'll give them a read up. Cheers

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Antillie posted:

Having your DSL modem and your router be separate physical devices is a good thing. Just saying. Modem/router combo devices tend to suck for one reason or another.

Yeah if it was for myself I'd have zero problem (I have a cable modem going into a rt66 which is 'alright'), but I don't really want to add another point of failure when I can't support it. I know a dsl modem is unlikely to go down, but knowing my luck the second I'm out of town it'll fall over.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know these kinds of things differ from area to area, but does anyone know the rough cost for running some CAT6 from one room of my house, through the ceiling, and into another room? One of the rooms already has cables running to the outside so has a nice area in the wall where the cables run, the other room I'd ideally like a wall plate put in just for tidyness. I'd probably screw it up if I did it myself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Internet Explorer posted:

It really does different from house to house. Residential cable runs are more of a variable compared to business runs where everyone has drop ceilings and gaps in the walls to run cables. A lot of homes are a lot harder to run cables in. If it's an easy run and there's room I can't imagine it'd cost more than $100-$200. If you're going to do it, see about having them run 2-4 runs instead of just 1. It shouldn't be much more expensive.

Thanks! Ha, I honestly don't have many more rooms than that as it's a 1,000 sq ft 2 bedroom house and I just want to run ethernet from the lounge to the guest room/office. I guess I could include our bedroom as well as the wifi might not be too hot in there (haven't moved in yet).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah gotcha, yeah that might not be a bad idea. I think I need to work out mentally what equipment is going to be where so I can work that out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wasn't it Three Olives who was in a similar situation, and the general consensus was 'hell no, do not get involved in this scheme'.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a device that you connect your phone to, then tell it the wifi details for your setup and it in turn connects to the router. I'm having issues with it at this stage and am wondering if it's an IP thing. I've seen it turn up very briefly in the DHCP list but then disappear again.

The device itself has an internal IP of 192.168.10.1, so I thought I'd reserve this IP on the router for it, but it tells me that's an invalid IP.

My router is currently at 192.168.1.1 with the 255.255.255.0 subnet. Should something with a 10.1 IP be able to connect to this? What should I set the router up as if not? (I read someone's review saying to make sure the router isn't 10.1 as it'll clash, I'm wondering if something similar is happening).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a Quirky Link hub, it's old and rubbish and not supported anymore so I'm most likely just going to trash it and get a new Wink hub. It was in the house when we moved in, and was hoping it might control some of the lights here (although I've not seen any compatible bulbs yet) as they're on pull cords that have a habit of breaking. I've sunk too much time into it already to be honest, and I'm just going to put it down to good old fashioned unexplainable incompatibility. Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Actuarial Fables posted:

Looking around, it seems as though you have to reset it to factory default if you need to change the WiFi settings. The support page (which doesn't allow text highlighting!!!) says to just power cycle the device to change the settings. I'd give that a shot if you're feeling up to it.

Yeah, I've power cycled it about 20 times, tried different sockets, tried a non-secure 2.4ghz line in case it was something to do with WPA2 it didn't like. Same result every time. It's not a big deal, id probably find out there's no bulbs set up here anyway!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've only tried one remuxed bluray since I moved the server to another room and introduced a bunch of walls, but the film I watched via Plex on an Apple TV worked fine the other night with both it and my Mac connected to my router via 5ghz N band. The wired interface on the Apple TV is only 10/100, which is worth remembering.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Unless you have it optioned otherwise, Plex will transcode files. I use Infuse because it just plays the remux directly – sweet, pure, virgin uncompressed remux.

Except for the DTS audio, due to it being an Apple TV, I believe it was on Direct Play but I can check again this evening. I'm 99% certain I have everything set to Direct Play when possible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's the average bitrate though, surely. Unless they master blurays very differently to DVDs (I used to like the little graphing function of my Sony player as it would react to the changing bitrate).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It has an AppStore but it can't run apps only designed for the iPhone. There's SpeedTest which runs the same as the iPhone app/website, but this only tells you your internet speed rather than internal network. There might be one that can tell you that, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you hold Option and click the wifi icon, you'll get some useful things including the Transmit Rate too that way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Unless you have it optioned otherwise, Plex will transcode files. I use Infuse because it just plays the remux directly – sweet, pure, virgin uncompressed remux.

I did end up watching another film last night, double checked and the video was direct play and it didn't drop a frame. Transmit rate on my Mac is about 160mbit compared to the 450mbit it was when it was in the same room. Happy with that until I do an Ethernet run at some point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

H2SO4 posted:

Yeah, this is what I use as a third party test to compare with your own provider's speedtest.

It's always worth checking whose providing the check. I found one day I was getting great speeds when it was Comcast's server on speedcheck, but seriously bad outside of their network. Was just temporary but it was useful to see where the problem was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it's a busy area you might have congestion on default channel the wifi is connecting on. You might see a bit of improvement by changing to a different one in the settings. You can get software to scan for what's busy and what isn't too, I know it's built into OS X at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something is up with my home network, but typically it's always while I'm out and can't check up on what's wrong. I thought it was the line dropping originally, but now believe it to be my ASUS RT66.

It's not a massive deal, if I can work out a way to resolve the main issue: my MacBook Air on 2.4ghz seems to get back online super fast and is fine, but my Mac Mini and Nest cameras that are on 5ghz take muuuuch longer. Like, 20 minutes or so. Is there an obvious reason as to why this might be?

Hopefully over the weekend it'll happen while I'm there and can just get to the bottom of it all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Moved over to AT&T fiber yesterday and decided to just go with their modem/router as it looked featured enough for me. The only problem I'm having is with port forwarding. If I'm on the network itself and I try to connect to a service via my external IP (ie 1.1.1.1:10001 should get to a webserver), it moves very slowly and just about brings back enough data so I know it's there but gets no further. If I try from outside my network, this works as expected. Not everything is forwarded to one device either, so I can't pin it on my Mac being funny about the new setup as my IPCam works in exactly the same way.

Anything stupid I'm overlooking? I've tried binding to a DDNS service too (as that's how I always did it with my old ASUS router) and that's made no difference. At the moment I'm having to use two sets of bookmarks which is a bit of a pain.

Router is an Arris BGW210-700.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looks like that is indeed the case, thanks. I guess I'll just have to eat it, a pain but not unbearable. My use case doesn't really outweigh the installation of additional hardware, I'm in a small house on my own these days so it's hard to justify going crazy with the networking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ickna posted:

It is worth the $50 for an ER-X imo. I have AT&T fiber and set their modem to DMZ the ER-X and have had no issues in the year that I have had it. I don’t do any of the auth spoofing packet stuff either.

I'll keep it in mind if I hit any other limitations, thanks.