Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Other than trying and seeing, is there any way to check to see whether MoCa or powerline would work better in my house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've been running an old Linksys with Tomato and it's getting on in years. At this point all the wireless clients in the house are newer than the router, so I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. I'm pondering going whole hog with Ubiquiti gear to satisfy my ego and make me feel like a power user, but on one of the other IT threads, people were saying the UAP-AC has problems. Are those problems such that I should steer clear for home use, or are they only problems that crop up at larger scale? Even when our house is crowded with geeks, we're probably only using a dozen clients, max, counting all the our laptops, cell phones, Chromecasts, etc.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Quick Ubiquiti review: I recently decided to dump my old Linksys WRT54GL and upgrade to something a touch more current. I gave in to ego and a vague notion that fewer boxes == better than, so I tried to replace both the WRT54GL and my ethernet switch with a Ubiquitu Edgerouter + Unifi AP. That was stupid insofar as the fans on the Edgerouter made a ruckus all out of proportion to my puny needs. I RMA'd it and replaced it with an Edgerouter POE, which was actually a better fit for my needs all around. The initial setup wizard has a SOHO option that gives you an uplink port, a 3 port switch, and the fifth port on its own isolated network. That works out neatly to putting my personal desktop, the Unifi AP, and my TPLink switch together on one network and my company laptop on its own network. By contrast, it took me about ten minutes of Googling to figure out how to get the big Edgerouter configured to bridge 6 of the ports together and get it all working smoothly.

Download speeds via my Comcast connection went from 45mbps wired/20 wireless to 55-57mbps for all clients. Vroom. The boost in wireless performance was expected (N being presumably faster than G) but I didn't expect to see benefit from the new router for wired connections. Outside of speedtest.net I don't know that it's actually mattered but it makes me feel nice.

ATM I have no particular plans to take full advantage of any advanced features the Ubiquiti gear might have, but I feel geekier just knowing it's there.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

What are the guidelines for chaining devices together on a home network? Right now the signal to my family room goes cable modem -> ethernet switch -> MoCa bridge in my home office -> MoCa bridge in the family room -> ethernet switch. My AV rack is across the entrance to the family room from the switch. Will I be on dangerous ground if I put a switch in the rack so I can hook up various internet-capable devices without running multiple cables across the doorway?

Other options under consideration include putting floor access grommets in so I can run cable under the floor, or buying a big-rear end cord cover to hide all the wires across the floor, but switch seems like the path of least resistance. I think. Maybe.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

They can work well.

If you have coax cable in your house that you aren't using (because sensible people have cancelled their cable), you can use cheap Ethernet to coax (DECA) adapters. In my experience they deliver a rock solid 100Mbps. The cable in the walls can no longer be used for cable TV.

I'm using MoCa adapters, which can share a coax cable with cable TV. I haven't benchmarked them with other devices inside the house, but internet speed tests show the MoCa-connected devices are no slower than my desktop that's plugged right into the Ethernet switch.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Enourmo posted:

I am networking illiterate and do not know which category in the OP I need, please explain to me as if I were a small child.

I've got a single port in my room, I get between 20mbpsdown/20 up and 100/100 depending on time of day, day of the week, phases of the moon, the zodiac, etc. I want to supply wifi to my laptop and phone, and ethernet to my desktop which I use for online gaming (and have a port for the laptop as a backup for the wifi). I want no lag spikes (like I get with the POS belkin router we dug out of my mom's closet).

Roommate has his own hookup as well as like 6 ethernet ports in the living room, so the wifi literally only needs to be in my ~80sqft room.

tl;dr: 2 ethernet ports minimum, stable wifi to 2 devices less than 12 feet away, up to 100mbps per device (I'd only be using one at a time tbh) and I'm willing to spend up to $100, though cheaper is always nice. What's the best bang-for-buck router for my needs?

Can you say a little about the bigger picture here? Is this an apartment in a small building, apartment in a big building, duplex house, something else... ? Are you replacing the Belkin you have now or is that going to stay in use in some capacity? I ask only because adding yet another device to a densely packed situation might just make things worse for everyone.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I have gone to the Synology Diskstation and enabled the FTP service. I leave it on port 21, default passive port range (55536-67) and unchecked "report external IP in passive mode"

I think this is wrong and is contributing to your problem. I'm rusty enough on this stuff that I had to go review the RFC for FTP.

quote:

PASSIVE (PASV)

This command requests the server-DTP to "listen" on a data
port (which is not its default data port) and to wait for a
connection rather than initiate one upon receipt of a
transfer command. The response to this command includes the
host and port address this server is listening on.

With that box unchecked, the server will respond to ftp requests from outside your local network with its private/internal IP address. The clients outside your office can't access that private address and will choke on it. (Unless they're smart enough to look at the address, realize it's a non-routable block, and then try the original server address instead, but not all clients will do that.)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Axiem posted:

Going into the ERX config page, it claims that it's talking through eth0, though due to my own ignorance I can't packet sniff. I hit the "DHCP renew" button, to no avail, and when I run `ip addr show` on the ERX, it clearly isn't getting an IP address from the modem.

I have a POE and not an X but when I set mine up, the wizards expected that my computer would be on eth0 and the modem/uplink would be on eth1. If you used the wizard, it probably expects the same thing on the X.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That mention of MoCa made me Google it and discover that while there's supposedly a 2.0 spec out there, and Actiontec even released 2.0 products, it shows them all as no longer available. Anyone know the story there? I'm not sure if this means I need to snap up a 2.0 kit while they're available, or if it means that they were crap and 2.0 never worked in the real world.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Danith posted:

On another note, anyone else use ethernet-to-coax adapters and cable internet?(http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Eth...iontec+ecb2500c) I know it says compatible with most cable services but I wanted to just see if anyone has personal experience with them and cable internet. Currently using DSL and I'm tired of this 20/1 connection.

I use three of those Actiontec MoCa boxes and they work well. I haven't bothered to measure raw throughput but tests of actual internet speed show devices connected via MoCa gateway are just as fast as the PC connected to the router via simple Ethernet. Every once in a while I need to power-cycle one but they go for months at a time without needing attention.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

How hot are we talking? Most vendors list operating temperature ranges, so hopefully you could find something. I looked at the specs for the Ubiquiti Touchswitch, because I'm a Ubiquiti fanboy and it's named Toughswitch, and they claim operation up to 131F.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It never would have occurred to me that having a POE injector on the floor is a power hazard. I have tons of transformers sitting on my carpeted floor, most of them at the end of 1ft extension cables so that I can run them off the same power strip. Am I living super dangerously and never knew it?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Another thought, if the place is wired for cable you could try some MoCA or HPNA adapters. Not ideal, but another option. MoCA 2.0 looks like it'll get you 600Mbit, and there seems to be some fancy new bonded adapters that promise 1Gbps.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

Not cheap, but could be worth it if they work as advertised.

I've got three of those in my house and iperf3 shows that I'm really only getting about 350mbps, off coax that predates our buying the house in 2003. I'm happy enough with them.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I use MoCa but my philosophy is the same. If it has an Ethernet jack and it spends its time sitting in one place, it gets a wired connection. Wifi is only for things that move or things that don't have Ethernet jacks.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Or try using something like Powerline or MoCa to create a wired connection for a second AP.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My Ubiqiti AP is sitting flat on to of a filing cabinet and gets its 2.4ghz signal throughout my entire house just fine.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Grimson posted:

In my new place I just discovered that there's a single coax cable that has been run from a closet on the second floor to a spot on the third floor, apparently so that they could plug that long cable into the outlet on the second floor and have the modem (or cable box with a splitter or whatever) on the third floor. My question is, will MOCA work over just that long run of coax? It seems like it should, but I want to be sure.

Actiontec says their limit is 300ft max between MoCa devices, so you ought to be fine.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The rule is, if you can do it with wired, do so. If it can't be wired Ethernet, see if it can be power line or MoCa. Wireless bridging is the last resort.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

stump collector posted:

Can anyone suggest a network diagram software free for me? My dream program is something that I can create devices in, connect cables, then have an output summarizing the point to point connections showing device names and port numbers. Not sure if something like this exists but I am trying to troubleshoot an enterprise network and I haven't done any real work in the industry.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I am a fan of graphviz, which works in the other direction- you give it a text file describing what you want drawn, and it does the layout and drawing for you. It doesn't let you do super fancy stuff like putting 48 attachment points on a Visio shape, one for each port. On the other hand, once you get the layout you want, it becomes very easy to edit the content of your diagram and let graphviz reflow it for you to keep it all looking nice.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Tensokuu posted:

So I asked a few months ago but I know how things change:

We have five adults in this house. Two TVs are constantly streaming Sling or Netflix; my desktop is hardwired in. My BILs PS4 is also hardwired in. I need to make sure I have good connections on multiple wifi devices (laptop, my ps4 [though this will likely get hardwired as well], etc). The house isn't huge but I know that with the current router being in the front corner of the basement, getting wifi in the back bedrooms can be spotty at times.

We have a 1GB connection through Wide Open West.

Any suggestions? Previously ya'll suggested me Orbi, but I have been seeing middling reviews in places that carry it saying that people had issues getting the satellite to carry the connection.

You've got some wired networks. Can you leverage them to put the Wifi access point in a more central location?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I was also thinking that you could put the WAP wherever the desktop or PS4 are, if those are better locations. Even if you need to put in an extra $20 switch, the performance impact should be pretty much unmeasurable.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

movax posted:

I use the Actiontec ones as wired backhaul in my house right now — rock solid, and even support VLANs.

Used to get 800 Mbps or so with just 2, but I added a 3rd to support my girlfriend’s office and it’s dropped to 200. Maybe quality of coax, maybe something else but at least it works and is stable.

I have a similar setup, getting about 400Mbps. With the first generation adaptors, I had to power-cycle them a few times a year to fix link problems, but the MoCa 2.0 adapters have been rock solid.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I use Actiontec MoCa adapters but I've never seen other devices on my network like that. Maybe it's something built in to newer cable boxes? There's nothing about your plan that jumps out at me as problematic.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Grumio, I use MoCa but I've never seen anything like that. It's very weird that using MoCa would keep devices from connecting to WiFi. Do they connect and complain they can't access the internet, or fail to connect altogether?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I hadn't heard that DOCSIS 3.1 interfered with MoCa, that's a good tip. My own thought is to give your splitters the side eye. They might be reducing the signal so much that your modem isn't getting a good connection to the ISP. I'm with Bonoman. Swapping the modem and adapter is a good suggestion.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

PageMaster posted:

I just moved into a 2400sf two story house that's not wired. My last two homes had ethernet in each room, and I ran a router with satellites (like unifi) to cover each floor. I'd like to not install ethernet right now, but the last time I had a single wireless router was maybe 8 years ago and at the time (and maybe still today) expectation for covering two floors was pretty unrealistic (and I was in a 1200sf home). Has tech improved in any way to make a router viable for this type of coverage, or even a mesh kit with satellites and dedicated backhaul? We stream 4k and play games, but don't need guaranteed ghz speeds, just want solid connection and coverage at playable pings.

Other online forums seem pretty zealous that ' you must install ethernet at all costs or else,' but I'm hoping that's not the only way to survive until we save up some money for renovations.

For what it's worth, our house is only a little smaller, and a Ubiquiti AP mounted on a first floor ceiling or more or less the exact center of the house gives us strong connections throughout the structure and out into the yard.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I didn't want to deal with Tivo and MoCa in my house, so I put the MoCa adaptors upstream of the Tivos, plugged cheap Ethernet switches into each MoCa adaptor, and let the Tivo get its data over the Ethernet. Works fine.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Welp. Well. The server without network card was 1700€, so I guess it doesn't hurt too much to lose a bit extra to the 10Gbe cards.

Anyways, why is robocopy so slow when moving n very large files? Regular copypaste copies at full speed (gigabit), robocopy at 1/10 speed (100mbit) to a SMB share. Adding threads doesn't seem to help the speed. If I don't use /z it skips the folder it's supposed to copy...

Did you try using /j to use unbuffered IO?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My 6811 has treated me well, and upgrading to it did result in an uptick in my download speeds, as reported by speedof.me. It did not result in any human-perceptible change in my internet experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I've been struggling with network issues ever since I moved in. It's been five years and I've been through three or four router setups. Immediate disclaimer I am a total layman when it comes to networking. I've got gigabit internet from Verizon Fios. Wired into the ONT I get pretty close to that, 900ish. Signal degrades in a huge way over wifi, lots of dead spots.

I thought mesh would solve my issue, and while I knew Nest wasn't the best option I got a good deal so I tried three points throughout the house and this is I think by far the worst performance of any of the setups I've had so far. The one wired into the ONT gets great wired speeds but i can stand right next to it and only get like 150mps over wifi. some spots in the house i get like 5. This is only a 1300 sq ft home, 2 floors, ethernet is on the bottom floor in the living room.

I don't think running cable is feasible for me; and I'm also kind of stubborn in that I believe that a home this size shouldn't need it. I should be the primary market for a wifi router. Is there one y'all can recommend that delivers reliable, fast performance for streaming, zoom calls, gaming, browsing tiktok, etc. for two people that actually has a good signal? I really don't need to mess with advanced settings which is why I thought I'd try nest. I'm cool with spending like $300 and I figure right now with black friday sales would be the time to do it. Thanks!

edit: i set my netgear rax48 back up and getting like 500 down on the 5g, literally like 10x better than the nest pro. i have one very specific issue with the netgear that related to playstation remote play that i was trying to solve for but it's so minor i'll just live with it. will still take a recommendation to take advantage of sales though

Do you have coax wiring to some of these rooms that would let you use MoCa? Patience to try powerline?

How old is the house? What kind of construction? Your description makes me wonder if you've got plaster on wire in the walls.