Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
After figuring out my pci-e wifi card is like 10+ years old and going down the new wifi card / power line networking rabbit hole for awhile I've decided to just run new drops.

What was best practice again?
Buy 500' CAT 6 from monoprice?
What's a good crimping tool?

I'm gonna go measure to make sure I don't need 1000' I may as well run upstairs too.
I learned how to crimp cables in high school so at least it's not my first rodeo.

Alternatively I can just try and figure out all the existing wires in my house, they don't seem to work for the most part and the previous owners have had multiple different providers of telecom. No one removed any of the existing installs, like there are 12+ wires on the side of my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

Thanks. Just ordered a TP-Link AC2600. Probably more router than we need, but not going to break the bank or anything.
I bought a tplink openwrt 1900ac for $75 from a co-worker to replace my Archer A7, I put openwrt on it, now I have badass adblocking,
and with steps from https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/

My ping is better than my friends (PC gaming)
I'm currently still on wifi.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 13, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

That Linksys 1900ac I had openwrt on a few posts up, I just bricked it I think flashing an update, apparently I can unbrick with a raspberry pi.

I suppose I could get a new router that's not from 2014 too, but I kinda liked the bufferbloat settings and adblock.

edit: power on then reset button 2 seconds then off x3 restored from dual flash backup. Now I have to take these overpriced radioshack cables back and maybe do a pi-hole or something neat with this board. 1/2 off everything my rear end.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 14, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have anything to say about Motorola MB8600 vs Arris SB8200?
I don't remember what version is the bad cpu, but if you won't have gigabit get the cheaper one? I don't feel like switching to at&t fiber yet, and am happy with woway, but I may change my mind, in the meantime even my old modem would work for my current speed.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

This is something I would not have known, thank you! Are they all pretty much the same? So just go with whatever is cheapest? Any specific features I should look for? This is one area where I am totally in the dark, and want to make sure i'm getting something that is a good build quality and wont fail.
I recently looked at a lot of these (computer pci wifi cards)

I'd say don't consider the very cheapest unless it supports windows 10, a surprising amount of them don't.

My card is ancient and I had a scare when I upgraded and fresh installed windows, no drivers would work, luckily I pointed to my old windows system 32 folder and it slammed a generic driver in there.

After considering power line Ethernet I've decided to just ethernet my house in a more sane fashion.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

After a brownout my openwrt compatible router's wifi messed up, wired worked fine. Weird I have a $200 UPS.

I bought an orbi mesh system (costco sale) and 1100 netgear modem , I had the 600 modem

I lost my bufferbloat stuff, but man the orbi just works, it came with 2 repeaters/access points and I think those are also like 1.2 ghz so.. more mhz of processing overall anyway.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Cenodoxus posted:

Is WiFi 6 a worthwhile upgrade over 802.11ac if I already have good coverage with multiple APs?
It's probably too soon to switch, it depends on how many compatible devices you have.

I got wifi6 because I was due an upgrade, but then I bought an oculus quest 2 (and which is a wifi6 device) and wifi streaming from my computer to the vr headset works great!

I imagine it works better than my several year old openwrt router.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I bought a firewalla gold rev b
https://firewalla.com/

I'll have a hardware firewall, fq_codel or cake for bufferbloat sqm stuff, and I guess I can run my pihole in a docker container on it through unbound.

I'm gonna tinker on it after work today for my weekend. I'm adding it with my Costco bought modem and orbi mesh system that I haven't backhaul wired yet.

I miss my old openwrt and tomato router functionality and this may reduce my ping by 4-8ms or something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I've just been telling people to get something with wifi 6 lately, it helps with VR and modern devices and hopefully it's not bottom tier if it includes it.

Speaking of brownouts and such toasting network equipment, I have a UPS surge protector and battery on my gear now, but I got sick of my stuff going bad every 2-4 years and just bought it from Costco

If it goes bad too soon I'll take it back.