Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Vermain posted:

"Drawing" really refers merely to the ability to create three-dimensional form on a 2D surface (like a piece of paper or a computer screen). Once you learn how to do that and get an intuitive grasp of it, you've learned how to draw.
Well. There's also the ability to put marks where you want to put them. :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

It makes it hard to see what you're doing and harder for others to see what you're doing and give you helpful critiques. :rolleyes:
sure but I've gone through thousands of sheets of lined paper for practice just because I had it on hand. so not necessarily "don't use lined paper," but "don't show people what you did on lined paper."

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
If you want to get better as an artist, it helps to take your work more seriously by using better materials. I understand the feeling of not wanting to "waste" good materials when you don't feel like you're ready yet, but I believe there is a subliminal thing where you give yourself an excuse not to work as hard on the final product (and thus not improve as fast) because it's going to look crappy anyway on lined paper. Getting a ream of white copy paper isn't that expensive and it will change how you relate to your drawing. If you want advice on where to go from here, your first drawing that you feel comfortable sharing, then a good next step would be to honor your own work with proper materials. It's not just for presentation, but for mindset and process.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah.

In my experience, having co-run a drawing group for a few years, people who draw exclusively on lined paper never improve. It seems like there's a psychological block there, that doing it on lined paper means it's just a doodle, it doesn't have to be good, that in the end it'll just be half obscured by a bunch of lines and then go into the bin anyway. Having talked to people about it, they make that kind of excuse. Maybe the correlation isn't causation here, but that's what I noticed.

Basically take some pride in your work. No, don't get moleskines or whatever expensive pad. Those guys never improve either. I think copier paper or the extremely cheapo refill pads you get at Poundland is fine. Something half decent like that is practically free.

Also get a decent pencil.

Edit: it also makes people disinclined to spend much effort on offering advice and opinions if you won't put in sufficient effort yourself to get a sheet of plain paper.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 14, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I was inspired by this thread, and started drawing every day again, challenging myself, and trying to improve.

Something has happened, and I have lost all confidence in my art. I get anxious when I try to sketch something from life. I don't think what I draw is bad, but I don't think it's good, either. When I do draw, I feel my patience wearing out. It even gets to the point where I can't decide whether to use pen or pencil, or what to draw ("Drawing another stack of books? Ugh, what's the point?").

I started The Artist's Way, but I'm early in the process, and I'd like to draw again, because I do love drawing and I want to get better at painting as well.

Any advice for my neurosis? Motivation? Exercises?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Show us something you've done.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drawing from video/picture

Sketch turned into pen and watercolor

Shark decoration drawn from life

Blind contour sketches I did of a roll of tape and a wood palette (drawn before lunch today)

Edit: Phone Posting problems

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 14, 2016

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Fangz posted:

Basically take some pride in your work. No, don't get moleskines or whatever expensive pad. Those guys never improve either. I think copier paper or the extremely cheapo refill pads you get at Poundland is fine. Something half decent like that is practically free.

Also get a decent pencil.

Edit: it also makes people disinclined to spend much effort on offering advice and opinions if you won't put in sufficient effort yourself to get a sheet of plain paper.
Another important thing when buying paper is to get different sizes of paper. Have big pads, medium pads, small pads, and bring whatever you can wherever you can (if you carry around a messenger bag or something, good. Stick the ones that fit in). Buy too many sketchbooks. You don't want to feel that you have not enough paper and that you don't want to "waste" paper on sketches.

It looks like you want to learn value. Get some packs of assorted willow charcoal (get whatever's the most expensive charcoal, it shouldn't cost that much anyway and should last you a while), some midtone paper, and a can of fixative (Blair's my favorite but Prismacolor works well too. Don't cheap out on fixative or you'll get boogers on your drawings). Get those and draw things without drawing any lines.

e: Actually, if you know watercolor, you could do ink paintings too.

e2: Let me qualify that further. Ink paintings with a brush, with an effort to avoid painting any outlines.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 14, 2016

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

I think you are being too hard on yourself, usually people are their worst critics and as someone mentioned in one of the threads here (I think it was Mutata) they've seen plenty of artists who were perfectly capable talk themselves out of doing the work they really wanted to do just because of anxiety/fear.

But if it helps, a lot of people deal with that anxiety and it's not something that is easy for most to just sweep under the rug or whatever. I think it's good in that it'll push you but you also got to try to give yourself a break. If you are practicing and putting in the work which you are, you need to allow yourself to sometimes make a drawing you don't like or make lots of drawings you think are garbage or whatever and that's perfectly okay. It doesn't mean you are bad or not learning, your ability to see and critique your work improves. As you get better, your standards also get better so sometimes it feels like you are stagnating or even getting worse when you are actually improving a lot.

So my advice would be just remember to take care of yourself. Don't skip meals, get enough sleep, go for a walk or to the gym, etc. If you are feeling bogged down and exercises are a chore take a break to draw something in your comfort zone that's really fun for you, and try your best not to worry if it turns out good or bad, just make a drawing or make a painting and let it be what it is. That's okay! Doing exercises and learning new skills is really important but it's also important to do stuff that you enjoy and just enjoy the process of putting marks on paper or whatever it is that drew you to the arts in the first place, etc. Find a nice balance.

It's a forum favorite and probably something you've seen but just in case this book is really good: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fear-Observations-Rewards-Artmaking/dp/0961454733
I also like Robert Henri's The Art Spirit which has some really neat stuff in it: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Spirit-Robert-Henri/dp/0465002633

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Take a break? Sometimes when I do a ton of art studies I get burned out esp it it's just doing gestures from photos. When I feel better I will return to basics like drawing shapes and making sure my fundamentals are fine. Also I find that I try to compare myself with younger and/or more talented artists online (quite a challenge) since I like to follow art sketechlogs/blogs.

Art is one of my hobbies and I try not to be too hard on myself in the meantime.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Other alternatives are to give yourself a project to work on so you have a direction to aim for.

Or do stuff for other people.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I'm doing this thing where I make a plasticine character, photograph it,print that photograph out, draw on the paper and then scan it again and keep repeating that.

Here's one

Taken from this little plasticine character :

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 17, 2016

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What are your guys's opinions on using fingers to smudge blend charcoal and pastels? I always find myself doing it even though I'm still in the learning phase for these mediums so I feel like I should be aiming to figure out how to blend my tones without resorting to smudging at first. Any words on this topic?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's just 2 different techniques. Experiment with both as they both produce different end results. Generally speaking, smudging will overpower or flatten the tooth of a paper for a smoother feel whereas traditional shading is more likely to sit on top of the tooth giving a more textured feel. You can even shave a charcoal stick onto the paper and use your fingers to smudge out a "wash" of tone and then draw with erasers, etc.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I keep going into a loop of trying to improve myself, and just not getting anywhere because I either discourage myself or get distracted. Now that I'm working 9-5 in a low wage job that I have no wish to stay in, I decided it's time to stop loving about and just change my life. Third times the charm, but I'm going to draw every day, as much as I can, in between all the stuff I have to do that I don't want to. Previously I had more time when I was neet so I think I turned something that I love and feel inspired by into a chore. Not sure how I'll change that this time, but in the meantime I took a crack at the "bouncy ball" exercise I remember seeing in a friends copy of that animators handbook.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

What are your guys's opinions on using fingers to smudge blend charcoal and pastels? I always find myself doing it even though I'm still in the learning phase for these mediums so I feel like I should be aiming to figure out how to blend my tones without resorting to smudging at first. Any words on this topic?

As was said earlier, blending and non blended both have merits. I recommend using blending stumps rather than your fingers simply because you run less risk of accidentally getting charcoal finger prints on the piece.

Here's an example of both techniques I did a few years back while in school.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

For charcoal I start with vague layers and blend the hell out of them with rags and paintbrushes until they're almost not there. As I put on darker and more refined layers I do less and less blending until the last one where I just use a wax bound charcoal crayon for emphasis. Fingers are good (I use fingers to blend a lot while painting) but I don't usually use them for charcoals.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

ijyt posted:

I keep going into a loop of trying to improve myself, and just not getting anywhere because I either discourage myself or get distracted. Now that I'm working 9-5 in a low wage job that I have no wish to stay in, I decided it's time to stop loving about and just change my life. Third times the charm, but I'm going to draw every day, as much as I can, in between all the stuff I have to do that I don't want to. Previously I had more time when I was neet so I think I turned something that I love and feel inspired by into a chore. Not sure how I'll change that this time, but in the meantime I took a crack at the "bouncy ball" exercise I remember seeing in a friends copy of that animators handbook.

What up, ball bounce bud? :respek:

Mine's a ton rougher though; I'm not really used to working digitally. Think I'll try a pendulum next to practise spacing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Disproportionation posted:

What up, ball bounce bud? :respek:

Mine's a ton rougher though; I'm not really used to working digitally. Think I'll try a pendulum next to practise spacing.

Man, if I had a penny every time I Ctrl-Z drawing a circle. I don't think I'm helping myself by drawing with my wrist on a tiny tablet.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

dog nougat posted:

As was said earlier, blending and non blended both have merits. I recommend using blending stumps rather than your fingers simply because you run less risk of accidentally getting charcoal finger prints on the piece.

Here's an example of both techniques I did a few years back while in school.

I just hate stumps so much because I hate the feel of scraping one across paper. though I will look into brushes as an alternative like a hole-y ghost said.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Q tips and cotton rounds for makeup are good for charcoal smudging and have the advantage of not getting your hand grease into the paper.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

I just hate stumps so much because I hate the feel of scraping one across paper. though I will look into brushes as an alternative like a hole-y ghost said.
ugh I know what you mean, I hate stumps. Yeah, also you could use q-tips like neonnoodle said or a t-shirt blend rag with 1 finger

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Y'all are crazy. I get that they make a weird noise and it feels odd using them, but you can't beat the precision they offer.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

dog nougat posted:

Y'all are crazy. I get that they make a weird noise and it feels odd using them, but you can't beat the precision they offer.
They seriously make me feel like I have to piss and throw up at the same time and I like finger + rag better anyway.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Does anyone have any beginner resources for working with watercolour pencils? I just got a bunch of them as a gift and I'm not sure where to start.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Use them like regular colored pencils. Layer and use a brush to blend your colors.

Ghost edit: wet brush

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hi guys, wondering if I can get some quick critique on something. I foolishly entered an art show at my workplace despite being in a more technical, non-design position. I've been painting a monster for the show, but showed it to my girlfriend who says it is not presentable due to bad lighting/shading/perspective/etc. I'm wondering if there's some quick ways I can fix the major problems with this piece so at least it doesn't look terribly out of place hanging on a wall for a bit:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Ccs posted:

Hi guys, wondering if I can get some quick critique on something. I foolishly entered an art show at my workplace despite being in a more technical, non-design position. I've been painting a monster for the show, but showed it to my girlfriend who says it is not presentable due to bad lighting/shading/perspective/etc. I'm wondering if there's some quick ways I can fix the major problems with this piece so at least it doesn't look terribly out of place hanging on a wall for a bit:

As far as lighting goes, you can fix it pretty quick if you just pick one direction that the light's supposed to be coming from, shine a light from that angle on some small object that's within reach and reasonably plain (not too many patterns and bits and bobs that will make it hard for you to see the light and shade on it) and kind of go from there. As it stands, it looks like there are two or more direct light sources and some objects are lit by one and sometimes by another.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Really starting to get burned out with the Draw A Box stuff. Between working 8-6 and having very little free time once I'm home, getting through the challenges is torture.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ijyt posted:

Really starting to get burned out with the Draw A Box stuff. Between working 8-6 and having very little free time once I'm home, getting through the challenges is torture.

Then take a break from those exercises and do something else for a while. Worst thing to do would be to get so burnt out that you stop drawing altogether. Find something to do that you would personally be excited about trying, bonus points if its outside your comfort zone.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Made an attempt at the second example in Lesson 3 of draw a box. I need more texture practice but I think my construction and form is slowly coming along.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

neonnoodle posted:

If you want to get better as an artist, it helps to take your work more seriously by using better materials. I understand the feeling of not wanting to "waste" good materials when you don't feel like you're ready yet, but I believe there is a subliminal thing where you give yourself an excuse not to work as hard on the final product (and thus not improve as fast) because it's going to look crappy anyway on lined paper. Getting a ream of white copy paper isn't that expensive and it will change how you relate to your drawing. If you want advice on where to go from here, your first drawing that you feel comfortable sharing, then a good next step would be to honor your own work with proper materials. It's not just for presentation, but for mindset and process.

I read this short piece about writing, and it applies for art too, well, any discipline. Emphasis mine:

quote:

One of the few things I know about writing is this: spend it all, shoot it, play it, lose it, all, right away, every time. Do not hoard what seems good for a later place in the book, or for another book; give it, give it all, give it now. The impulse to save something good for a better place later is the signal to spend it now. Something more will arise for later, something better. These things fill from behind, from beneath, like well water. Similarly, the impulse to keep to yourself what you have learned is not only shameful, it is destructive. Anything you do not give freely and abundantly becomes lost to you. You open your safe and find ashes.

After Michelangelo died, someone found in his studio a piece of paper on which he had written a note to his apprentice, in the handwriting of his old age: ''Draw, Antonio, draw, Antonio, draw and do not waste time.''

https://www.nytimes.com/books/99/03/28/specials/dillard-drop.html

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Any advice for tablets? I have a old Intuos 3 but it takes me 3x as long to draw with 25% quality drop for each drawing. However as much as I like traditional art I find it easier to start up with digital painting due the low material commitments.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I drew a thing. Perspective is a little wonky in spots but I think it turned out ok. :shobon:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Vatek posted:

I drew a thing. Perspective is a little wonky in spots but I think it turned out ok. :shobon:

The level of detail and shading makes it okay. In future though, try not to draw with your wrist since it limits your stroke length and is partly responsible for your chickenscratch lines. If you drew longer lines with your shoulder, and lightly overshoot them, and provided they're straight enough, you'll produce some construction lines that will give you a better look at the perspective.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

@Vatek

Bulky machines are my favorite, makes you feel like you have a good grip on someting. The square grip looks uncomfortable though. I have a tip from someone that could help you get more out of this idea than one drawing.

It's in a video with MarkCrilley advertising one of his books; features a story that simulates learning the fundamentals of drawing with a mentor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHwYawKK98c

At 10:30 One of the lessons talks about a common rut budding artists fall in to with drawing well detail objects that are only floating in a canvas. Take your objects and use them in a scene in any way you see fit (there's more ways you could interpret it than an object sitting on a table). You could start by drawing some floating objects to establish what you're working with, then transfer them into some form of composition.

You get more millage out of an idea and solidify it rather than always having to come up with a new thing for the next drawing. Artists say the best way to learn is "DRAW DRAW DRAW" so this is a good excuse.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 8, 2016

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Hello Self Taught Thread. I'm teaching myself how to draw after years of telling myself I couldn't. Here's some stuff I drew in no particular order. Not bad for a total of a month and two weeks of sitting down everyday for 30 min to almost 3 hours.

I drew his gun too small so up-scaling it made it look awful.

Boss from Ghost 1.0.

A bonfire from Dark Souls 1.

A flightless pack bird from a popular series of video games.

And the Party Mix girl from a thumbnail of an electro-house mix video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW-AuPS41pM

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You're lapsing into iconography. I think cause of the focus on outlines. Try to consider the geometry of the shadows or shapes involved.

To demonstrate this descending of technique, look at the thumbnails bracelets and then the ones you drew. There is no space between the top bracelet and the second. While your proportions are more equal in the thumbnail sketch, the focus on drawing outlines has misled your eyes: you define an arbitrary section of the shading gradient as the outline and this makes the shape of the geometry suffer. Take a look at her breasts or her right wrist. Demanding outlines worked on the face, but that's because the contrasts were so high.

I think you'd benefit from breaking a subject, even a photo or flat subject, into squares and transferring squares to your medium. This breaks your own iconography down and forces you to consider the shading, proportions, etc of a very small region that might appear meaningless or chaotic initially.

This is also a good time to try to work with 3d still lifes or subjects. This breaking of a subject into squares is rudimentary but gets you in the right track to force you to draw what you see and not what you think you see. Eventually you'll break subjects into more parts or shapes that comprise them rather than a strict grid that is detached from the work or subject.

Draw what interests you though, but with failure in mind. If you set out with a specific trait you want to work on, you'll learn faster and faster as you need or become "adequate" (in your mind) at something in order to fail and then succeed in something else.

I hope my tone isn't bad. I'm still learning a lot and by no means an expert. I'm extrapolating a lot from my own drawing and writing experience.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
So I've been poking around in the OP and in other threads looking for good videos/courses to learn fundamentals (perspective, form, proportion, etc) with. Does anyone know any good online courses or videos that are decent quality? So far I have looked at stuff like Pencil Kings, Drawspace, and CTRL+Paint, but I'm reallllllly picky on spending my money on a course without knowing how good it is. I don't mind spending a subscription fee or anything, or shelling out $100 for a large online course, but don't want to spend poo poo tons of :20bux: on an actual round of college courses. Anyone used or seen anything that doesn't suck?

Currently, I'm watching Sycra and Proko on YouTube,leaning towards a PencilKings subscription, and poking around in Loomis' books. I do a lot better when something is structured, though, hence the reason looking for a paid course.

InevitableCheese fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

this is a super good post and should be helpful for anyone starting out in drawing, especially the bit on iconography (the tendency to conceptualize objects discretely from their context);
I'd like to add that this grid technique is a great tool for anyone who needs to get proportions accurate, whether it's literally drawing a grid on a photo reference or picturing a grid as you look at a subject (and grids divided into thirds are generally the simplest, most convenient sort, though more squares lend more accuracy)

• Locked thread