Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Nthing praise for the wonderful OP, Kismet!

After all the discussion in other threads (and countless books) about the importance of life drawing, I'm finally in the position to attend one, and I signed up for my first guided course today! It's just one of those seasonal classes offered through the local Arts Council, but I'm pretty excited to be drawing with real people and receiving feedback. I'm also hoping to use this chance to make and stick with a healthy schedule; right now I'm just drawing willy-nilly, which is probably not the best management of my time.

Quantify! posted:

The depressing thing about these instructors is not only are they not going to give good feedback, they can't even do good work. If all your work is this "non-objective" garbage, how are you qualified to teach drawing classes? Draw me a person and make it look beautiful. Then I'll respect you as a person worth learning from.
The only problem with this is that a lot of incredibly talented people are absolute poo poo at teaching, and sometimes they can't even convey what makes their own methods successful. Likewise others with less natural talent (or simply less developed talent) may be very gifted at grasping the mechanics of drawing, what does and doesn't work, and are very good at identifying and communicating those concepts to others. This is as true for sports, academia, and other fields as it is for art. The instructor I signed up for? I don't really like his stuff, but he'd gotten more praise for his guidance and attention in figure drawing classes than any of the others. Of course I fantasize about studying under the artists I most admire (and hopefully they'd be brilliant teachers too), but at the end of the day I'm going for my own improvement; if this guy can help bring out my best, who cares about his dumb tree ring drawings. It's not an approach that may work for everyone, but I feel like I'm at a place where I have a lot of room to improve but can still take critique with some discernment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
http://conceptart.org/?artist=Dirty+C

quote:

He was one of the original students at the conceptart.org Next Gen Atelier. Having wasted ten years on genetics and network engineering, Dirty C (his real name) didn't start drawing seriously until 27, and likes to think he's some kind of proof it's never too late.
:3: Not bad for a guy who started drawing well into his third decade.

• Locked thread