Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mareep
Dec 26, 2009

So excited about this thread.

I don't know what I'm working on yet but biweekly projects sound amazing for getting out of my comfort zone and doing some more productive work. It's really hard for me to narrow down my artistic goals to anything but 'I want to draw like the masters', but, well, I'm sure I'll figure out something.

I also bought some awesome figure drawing/human figure books the other day and can't wait to get a chance to look over them better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

That's how most art professors seem to be in my experience (don't go to a 'real' art school though, state school). They're all pretty much shams who are generally pretty apathetic towards improving or developing their work. It's pretty disappointing, and I usually just do my best to improve as much as I can in each studio class because every critique is a pat-everyone-on-the-back, hey you came to class with a finished piece even if it completely ignored all of the project stipulations fest.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Welp!

I was at a conference all last week and just got back in, so I don't have anything done for the assignment. But I'm going to keep working on it anyway and post it when it's done. Wah!

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Welp! There's just no way I'm going to finish this any time soon so I'll just post it!

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Agh. I work so huge on gesture drawings. And I can tell I'm getting rusty on these. Same deal, ten pixelovely one-minute poses.

Edit: thought I'd mention I have no scanner at the moment! So cell pics it is :(

mareep fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Ha, weird that the conversation is trending this way, because lately I've been thinking about getting some actually decent paints. I need some acrylics to do some projects for a couple of people and I've been using big sets of Liquitex Basics (I think these) purely for the sake of getting a crapload of colors/tubes for a relatively acceptable price.

Now I really want to try something a little more quality, but it's awfully daunting. There was something pretty appealing in getting a bunch of different colors all at once, and paints are really not cheap. We have an excellent art supply store nearby where everything is noticeably cheaper than Hobby Lobby/Michael's/most hobby stores, warehouse prices, etc. but I'm not sure what to even look for. Are there any good quality (or at least better quality—I'm not looking for anything insane as I'm still very much in the learning stage, but I'd still like to be working with something better than what I have been) brands that might have sets or something to give me a leg up rather than buying a bunch of really expensive individual tubes?

• Locked thread