Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

I'm in the market for a vacuum. I'm also incredibly lazy. How good are Roomba's and the other robotic vacuums nowadays?

I'd also be interested in hearing some other reviews about Roombas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've had the Roomba 530 for a couple years, and another version before that (that one died when I moved and didn't pack it properly). Overall I like it, but don't think it would really work as a strict replacement for a real vacuum.

Pluses:
  • Convenient--set it and let it do its thing.
  • Invisible walls--mine came with two towers that set up invisible boundaries to keep Roomba focused.
  • Pets don't mind--have 3 cats and they either stare at it or scoot away when it gets too close.
  • Good on hard floors--it doesn't exactly "vacuum" but it brushes stuff into its maw. With the 3 cats, we have a ton of loose litter that gets kicked or tracked around. Also fur and dust bunnies. Roomba is great for that kind of regular pickup.
  • No problem with minor obstructions--doesn't get stuck with cables very often, and has no problem going between hard floor and carpet or over thresholds between rooms.

Minuses:
  • Not so great on carpet--picks up surface stuff from a carpet, but doesn't have the weight or strength to dig in and get ground in dirt. I still have a real vacuum that I use on our area rugs.
  • Doesn't do a perfect job every time--may not always get every nook and cranny of a room or may leave a little bit of stuff that it missed. However, considering that it's a robot you can use it more frequently without too much hassle and that makes it much more effective over time.
  • Maintenance--need to clean the brush rollers after pretty much every use because of the cats and a wife with long curly hair. Your mileage may vary.
  • Sometimes rough on furniture--when confronting a large object like a wall or a couch, Roomba senses it and slows down before bumping into it. But smaller things like chair legs aren't sensed and it can smack into them. I put some window foam-roll insulation on Roomba's front as a bumper.
  • Noise--nowhere as noisy as a real vacuum, but still loud enough that you can't really watch tv or talk on the phone in the same room.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
The main warning I would have about roombas is that they seem to be especially bad at handling pet fur. A friend of mine had one, and although it did work very well as far as how well it covered the rooms, it was constantly struggling with pet fur and eventually died a terrible furry death. To be fair, they have 2 (very fluffy) dogs and 4 cats.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I had a roomba and it was one of the old ones-- pretty medicore navigation, couldn't plug himself back in after the battery died, and the brushes needed to be cleaned constantly, especially at my parents where there were multiple dogs.

I have a Neato XV21 now and he navigates a lot better, can recharge and finish cleaning, and the brushes really don't track too much hair on them because there is a much more powerful vacuum. It has the bonus of looking like a Super Nintendo too.

E: vv. I named him Supernintendo Chalmers.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 14, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, I knew that color scheme reminded me of something.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I'm suffering from paralysis by analysis on a vacuum purchase. My mom is an elitist snob with her Dyson and Rainbow vacuums so her opinion is always hilarious.

I have a dog. I have carpet, hardwood and tile. Carpeted stairs need much attention!

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
We have two adult Newfoundlands, a 2-year-old, and a 1500 square-foot house, so our pet/dirt situation is horrific. We should really vacuum every day, but we manage a few times a week. Our last one (cheapie black-firday purchase to get us into the new home) caught fire and died a few days ago. After a lot of research and frustration (Hoover makes a T-series rewind that was highly recommended in this thread; Bissel also has a t-series rewind that looked like poo poo), we decided on the hoover t-series pet rewind. I have no idea what the difference is between the Pet and the regular, but the shipping on the pet was free, whereas the total cost was more on the standard with the $20 shipping. I'll report back with some thoughts when we get it and use it for the first time.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
What's the difference between the DC37 and the DC39? My 10 year old Miele is fighting a losing battle against my new kittens.

The DC39 doesn't seem to be available here in Norway.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Laser Cow posted:

What's the difference between the DC37 and the DC39? My 10 year old Miele is fighting a losing battle against my new kittens.

The DC39 doesn't seem to be available here in Norway.

According to Wikipedia the DC37 is just a DC39 designed for continental Europe. I wouldn't expect any difference at all. The models differ usually in attachments included and color scheme. Multifloor vs. Animal.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Since there is Roomba talk, I am wondering if anybody had any experience with a Scooba.

I've got a 770, and it works great. It needs regular cleaning every week or so to get dust and hair from the brushes and sensors. Otherwise, it doesn't run as long. I used to schedule it to run every day, but I got weary of letting it run unattended with cats potentially puking, and it getting spread everywhere.

Another forum says there may be new Roombas in April.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Computer viking posted:

5HP is 3728W - I guess your house is wired for higher amperages than mine. :)

Geez, that's 31 amperes at 120V. Now if there's a lagging power factor from the squirrel-cage motor, then that current would even be higher. Let me run the numbers really quick...

True power = 3728 watts
PF = 0.8 (lagging)
PF = true power / apparent power
0.8 = 3728/ apparent power
AP = 4660 volt-amps

So at 120V that would actually be 38 amps. On a 20-amp breaker that would give you a thermal overload trip in maybe five seconds seconds based on two times rated current of 20A.

Of course a small motor will have a high current inrush, sometimes higher than 10x rated current during startup, especially the subtransient reactance (x''d, less than one cycle) and the transient reactance (x'd, a few cycles) as the motor accelerates from a standstill. But that would die off in less than a second or so and avoid tripping the breaker.

Anyways, I'm looking at a new bagless/filterless vacuum cleaner. Torn between Dyson and non-Dyson. The five year warranty and no filters to replace seem like it would make the Dyson more economically feasible in the long run instead of replacing a vaccum cleaner every two years and replacing filters twice a year.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Being able to mount an MP3 player on them is the Roomba's best feature, hands-down.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 13, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
UPDATE: Got a Dyson DC24 for $400. Yeah, I probably paid too much.

It works well, but man for the cost it does feel cheap and plastic-y! Lots of mechanisms that I am concerned might eventually break. I am hoping that it works well, but I am definitely going to register it for the five-year warranty.

Question: does anyone use the Dyson Zorb powder? Does it work well?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The good news on your investment is, we have had a DC14 for 10 years and the only thing we've had to replace on it was part of the bin, because it got dropped down the trash compactor chute and the compactor went off before I could get to it :( Hopefully, they still make 'em like they used to.

We just loaned it out this weekend to a vacuum-less relation and it got a rave review, despite its advanced age.

Also, we have a roomba 770 that battles the hair of 4 cats daily and is fine. I DO have to clean the drat rubber... brush... thing every day, and since I am in there, I clean the bristles a bit too usually. It makes it so we only have to vacuum the house once a week, and probably makes it an easier job than it would be otherwise.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Saw this thread while browsing and thought I'd pop in to mention that I got my DC25 for around $150 from Woot.com (refurbished by Dyson) and I still see dysons up there on the site at least once a week. Worth checking probably.

The vacuum came in the original box and is essentially brand new. I can't find any signs of previous use. Came with all attachments, new filters, new ~6 month warranty, as well as new manual etc etc. Couldn't be happier with it or the purchase.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now

Shmoogy posted:

I had a roomba and it was one of the old ones-- pretty medicore navigation, couldn't plug himself back in after the battery died, and the brushes needed to be cleaned constantly, especially at my parents where there were multiple dogs.

I have a Neato XV21 now and he navigates a lot better, can recharge and finish cleaning, and the brushes really don't track too much hair on them because there is a much more powerful vacuum. It has the bonus of looking like a Super Nintendo too.

E: vv. I named him Supernintendo Chalmers.

I'm interested in the Neato, but it looks like people love them then they break. Their Facebook wall is full of complaints.

Has anyone bought a Roomba recently? I read they pushed out some new models in April. Not sure what robot vac to get now; no pets, hardwood floors, few rugs.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just want to chime in and say our Dyson DC35 is still going after five years and we've used the warranty service multiple times (I think this model has a defect in the hose where it loses connection every now and then) and they've been friendly and fast as hell with replacement parts every time. Dysons are well-built and fun to use but the warranty is what I'd recommend it on the most.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Eureka The Boss is still going strong after as many years and I've never needed parts :smuggo:

On the Roomba, I've had a 650 since last Christmas and it's been pretty great for us. We have two cats, hardwood floors, and one big rug with a major fringe. It took a few runs to figure out where it would get stuck and move some things around, but since then it's been running every day during the week before we get home with few incidents. Every now and again it'll get tangled in the rug fringe, maybe once every couple weeks, or get stuck on a cat toy. It recently tried to vacuum up cat barf, which was fun to clean up.

Originally I wanted the Neato due to the much more efficient looking cleaning pattern and coolness of laser scanning. After reading up on it, I decided on the Roomba for a few reasons. iRobot has been improving a lot of basic things, like part durability, with every release. Things that used to break a lot don't really break that often anymore. The newer versions deal with cords and fringes a good bit better than the Neato. The random pattern on the Roomba is infuriating to watch because it seems so inefficient, but actually seems to get my floors very well. It sounds like the Neato has a much more powerful vacuum but I think the multiple passes of the Roomba might help alleviate that difference, and it probably doesn't matter as much for hardwood anyway.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it. My floors are much cleaner day to day and the only maintenance it needs is emptying the bin every day and a good brush cleaning once a week.

If you can, wait for a sale. Bed Bath and Beyond seems to have sales and bundles more than anywhere else, and you can often combine them with the 15 and 25% coupons they mail out constantly. I think the final price on ours wound up being about $300 instead of the normal $399.

powderific fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 25, 2013

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Thanks, i'll look into the 650.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Anyone have any experience with Kenmore vacuums? Specifically:
http://www.sears.com/kenmore-intuition-upright-bagged-vacuum-cleaner/p-02031100000P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

Some of the complaints from customer reviews state it sucks too much, so it got my attention.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I grew up with a D2 Rainbow my dad pulled out of a garbage pile. It's kind of a pain in the rear end, compared to modern bag and bagless stand-ups, but the suction power is simply astounding, and the newer models are apparently even more powerful.

They're expensive to buy new, but parts to rebuild them are readily available, if you have a slight bit of mechanical aptitude, and they depreciate hard, so they're good bargains. They're wet/dry, so you can also use them to sop up wet carpets, aquarium incidents, plumbing leaks, etc. rainbow even made an extended base tank for the task.

Plus, they look 50s/60s as gently caress.

If only I could get my girlfriend to vacuum in heels and a sundress...

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

While I feel I may get ridiculed for this I read a bunch of reviews yesterday and bought a Shark Navigator LiftAway Pro. There are literally hundreds of reviews for this thing and they are overwhelmingly positive.

I just wanted a basic vacuum with good suction, there were complaints about this model but a lot seemed to be nit-picky and I didn't think they would effect me. Some people didn't like the lift-away feature (a bloo bloo), and some people don't like bagless vacs period, and some people were concerned about the longevity of the plastic parts, latches and the like.

Mini trip report:

Tried it out last night and it has excellent suction. I had vacuumed the day before and it pulled a lot more dirt out of the carpet, which would imply superior suction. Much quieter than my old vacuum (junky bissel something or other), both cats don't run for the hills when I turn it on.

I'm further ashamed to admit that the brush/suction were powerful enough to make it somewhat of a workout to use this thing, especially on my super-deep pile area rug.

$160 at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon.

We've been using this for a few months and it is astoundingly good. I need to clean the filters though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Doctor Butts posted:

We've been using this for a few months and it is astoundingly good. I need to clean the filters though.

Cool, I actually just popped in here at random to provide an update, from the looks of it it's been a year and a half since we've had it.

Absolutely no problems with it, great suction. It's amazing how much animal hair it picks up from the carpet that I don't even see. I'll vacuum probably once a week these days and every time I do I'm reminded I should do it more often since it picks up so much stuff. I wash out the filter probably every 5-6 vacuums, it's excellent. Maneuverability is very good and it's not big and bulky like my past vacuums.

I could honestly see the benefit of going bagged vs. bagless but it's just something I live with. I'm cheap enough that I'd rather just deal with the dusty disposal vs. buying bags to throw out.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
We currently have a lovely hoover vacuum and are looking for a replacement.
Dyson seem nice but gently caress me if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a vacuum cleaner.
The Hoover Windtunnel seems not to be available from amazon europe (France or UK).

Any advice for a euro vacuum cleaner?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure this is the same vac people are fawning over above: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-73411-Suction-Upright/dp/B0052WHCW0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1385399385&sr=8-10&keywords=vacuum

It also looks like you can get the Eureka Airspeed stuff there, which is what I have and like.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I picked up that Shark Navigator Pro mentioned above about a month ago. I was about to buy that $650 Dyson, but I was turned off by the cheap plasticy creaky feel of the Dyson. I'm fine with paying that money but at least make it seem like a sturdy quality product.

So I went with the Shark which seems like similar build quality, similar cleaning ability but was less than $200 in Canada.

It also seems to rate and score better on large consumer websites than the dyson.
Even if it isn't as good. The dyson isn't $400 better. For the difference it should be built of billet titanium, chromoly and carbon fiber.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A few weeks back I managed to snag a DC44 at Costco for $279 since they were changing out the tool bundle that came with them and had the older ones on clearance. I've been impressed with it so far.

The big thing is, I have all hardwood and no pets. I was looking for something cordless that I could take out every few days and do a quick once over on the floor. I considered getting a Roomba, but I just wasn't convinced it would get me good coverage.

I have a small 3 bedroom house (about 1100 sq feet) and so far the DC44 has been perfect. The included motorized head works well with hardwood floors since it doesn't have a beater bar and there's plenty of charge in one go for me to do a quick once over through the whole house.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Le0 posted:

Dyson seem nice but gently caress me if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a vacuum cleaner.
The Hoover Windtunnel seems not to be available from amazon europe (France or UK).

Depends how much coin you want to spend.

£110 nets you a Henry Xtra with turbobrush and a billion accessories which will do a cracking job until the end of time... Turbobrush is a requirement if you have carpets as it has a beater bar. These are the same as the ones used all over the UK by professional cleaners because they're built like tanks and just won't die.

Upwards of that you have Sebo cleaners which are superbly built and offer a 5 year GUARANTEE on their machines. The X series are fantastic cleaners and the X4 at about £220 has an automatic height adjusting beater bar for short and deep pile carpets. These again are also used by professional cleaners in hotels and such.

Basically if you go for something used by professionals you won't go wrong. Note that nobody uses Dyson professionally which should say it all.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Le0 posted:

http://m.ebuyer.com/366593 here's the euro equivalent of the vacuum that keeps getting mentioned, for £99.
I bought it from ebuyer about 12 months ago for £80 with a free iron. Have been made up with it.

It isn't built like a tank like the ones above, its as light as a feather instead.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give them a look

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey guys, any recommendations for a canister vac? Preferably with bag (supposedly bag ones have more suction... Right?)

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Dyson.

Every vac i've used, apart from a dyson, has serious loss of suction when the filters get a little bit of dust on them. The canister only being 5% full. Sometimes just a few metres of floor done and most suction gone.
The dyson has the same suction regardless of how much you've done. It could have the worst emptying design and it wouldn't matter because you only need to do it once, as opposed to 50 times just to clean a floor with other vacs.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

A few months back my girlfriend and I moved into a new place with a mutual friend of ours who donated her Dyson DC23 canister vacuum and I'm starting to hate the drat thing.

It sucks. Don't get me wrong, the thing could probably suck a golf ball through a 30 foot garden hose but there are a few irritating design flaws that aren't immediately obvious and yet would really disappoint me if I had spent a few hundo on the machine:

- The turbine head brush roll performance is really sensitive to dirt; i.e. it needs to be kept very clean. Fair enough. I try to clean it out every few uses because we have cats but the big problem is
- The turbine head suction opening is tiny. Smaller than any other vacuum opening I've seen, so it gets plugged up with hair, larger dust bits, etc.
- It's a canister vacuum which I think is just a gigantic pain in the rear end to use. This is mostly my opinion.

Overall the machine also feels a little cheaply built. Certainly no better than a lot of $100 vacuums I've used.

Once again, though, the suction power on this thing is no joke, and even with older filters and a full canister the turbine head seems to really suck itself to the floor and pull dirt out of corners as if by magic. I'm also pretty sure Dyson has addressed the issues I mentioned with the turbine head in later versions of the canister models.

I'd rather spend a couple hundred on a mid range upright, myself.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jonathan posted:

I picked up that Shark Navigator Pro mentioned above about a month ago. I was about to buy that $650 Dyson, but I was turned off by the cheap plasticy creaky feel of the Dyson. I'm fine with paying that money but at least make it seem like a sturdy quality product.

So I went with the Shark which seems like similar build quality, similar cleaning ability but was less than $200 in Canada.

It also seems to rate and score better on large consumer websites than the dyson.
Even if it isn't as good. The dyson isn't $400 better. For the difference it should be built of billet titanium, chromoly and carbon fiber.

I've had several friends ask me about my Dyson and if it was worth it compared to a Shark, and the answer is no to be honest. I've had my DC17 for about 6 years now with 3 cats and it still looks brand new, but the new Sharks perform well enough there's no way the Dyson is worth double the cost.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the things people mention about their Dyson's being great with aren't things I've ever had problems with on my cheap vacuums. Unless my airspeed or the boss are almost completely full, I don't have any issues with suction. My The Boss is something like 8 years old now and still works great. We also have a the boss at work that gets heavily abused and is doing fine after three years. Maybe I'm just better at buying good cheap vacuums? Sometimes I think people don't bother reading reviews on cheap vacuums and thus wind up with lovely ones.

I'd also like to mention that, after having both, I think bagging vacuums are way less hassle than bag-less. Seeing the dirt may be satisfying or whatever, but bags last for ages before you change them, and the bag is the filter so you don't have clean anything in the vacuum itself.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

powderific posted:

I'd also like to mention that, after having both, I think bagging vacuums are way less hassle than bag-less. Seeing the dirt may be satisfying or whatever, but bags last for ages before you change them, and the bag is the filter so you don't have clean anything in the vacuum itself.

This a thousand times. The "convenience" of being able to dump everything in your trash can (while getting dust all over the place) is outweighed the first time you have to pull out five filthy loving filters and clean them. Or you can replace them which is more expensive than buying bags anyway. :iiam:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Extremely impressed with the Henry i got last year (basic mode) good power and disposable bags are way handier and hygienic than my DC04.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Dyson is basically plastic Chinese garbage with a lot of marketing push. DO NOT buy that overpriced poo poo.

I did a bunch of research and came up with this thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYD5670/ref=oh_details_o08_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Atrix AHC-1 Canister Vacuum with 3-Stage HEPA Filtration System

VERY powerful. Easy to use, light, well built. The company produces industrial vacuums so you know it has a good pedigree. Also cheaper than Eureka's comparable model.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

redeyes posted:

Dyson is basically plastic Chinese garbage with a lot of marketing push. DO NOT buy that overpriced poo poo.

I did a bunch of research and came up with this thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYD5670/ref=oh_details_o08_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Atrix AHC-1 Canister Vacuum with 3-Stage HEPA Filtration System

VERY powerful. Easy to use, light, well built. The company produces industrial vacuums so you know it has a good pedigree. Also cheaper than Eureka's comparable model.

I'm totally willing to trust this opinion as I know goons do their research, but my fiance is always skeptical unless it has like over 300 glowing reviews. Any place else I can show her to convince her?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey guys, any recommendations for a canister vac? Preferably with bag (supposedly bag ones have more suction... Right?)
Caveat their incredible expense, I'm quite happy with the Miele S8 series. They do make (relatively) less expensive models depending what your needs are. I needed to go all out on the Cat & Dog model. It was worth it, but drat they're expesnive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-CH3000-Commercial-Portapower-Cleaner/dp/B001DCYRH6/ref=lp_510108_1_15?s=vacuums&ie=UTF8&qid=1386883395&sr=1-15

• Locked thread