Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Bunk posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I held off listening until I finished McMillions. He also spoiled the end of Uncut Gems before I had the chance to see it.

haha yes. I was trying to remember why I knew the ending of uncut gems before I saw it and it was friggin Mike.

Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

There is no greater/worse dead wood guest than Nick Thorburn. He’s po-faced, humorless, and extremely self-serious for a dude who has nothing to say and has not released anything worth paying attention to.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Just about all the musicians suck, the only one worse is the guy who does a walken impression

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
you're misreading his tone, he's obviously joking about being a failed musician and slightly overstating how dire things will soon get and all that, it's called doing a bit

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Transistor Rhythm posted:

There is no greater/worse dead wood guest than Nick Thorburn. He’s po-faced, humorless, and extremely self-serious for a dude who has nothing to say and has not released anything worth paying attention to.

What an embarrassing way to admit you've never heard Jellybones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

inferis posted:

Just about all the musicians suck

Uh, Kurt Vile loving rules.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
KV is good but most musical guests are some pretty boring indie rock

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I’m sure Tommy Stinson will be a great guest once he finds the studio.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

actually I take it back, when mgmt was on they created the only good kat from raleigh call where she kept going on about how mgmt kind of only had two hits and tom is trying to get her to shut up without being too mean

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

inferis posted:

actually I take it back, when mgmt was on they created the only good kat from raleigh call where she kept going on about how mgmt kind of only had two hits and tom is trying to get her to shut up without being too mean

That sounds amazing

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Tom squirming because he can’t be mean to a guest or caller is generally hilarious. Nelly whatsherface comes to mind. When Kevin Corrigan was on she started saying how Scorsese movies aren’t any good any more and you could just hear the awkwardness in the air

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The last time he had a black person come on the show he had to explain the name massa’s tavern and he hasn’t had one since.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

inferis posted:

The last time he had a black person come on the show he had to explain the name massa’s tavern and he hasn’t had one since.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

inferis posted:

That's the name? I always thought it was Masses.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

GoutPatrol posted:

That's the name? I always thought it was Masses.

I was about to order a shirt and then ran away once I saw the spelling.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It’s a pretty common Italian name.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

inferis posted:

Maybe I've forgotten the timeline, but he's had Stefani Robinson on since then, hasn't he?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/1270125723668250624

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Show’s on hiatus per Twitter and Patreon update. The FB group has been a shitshow (more than usual) the past few days, too - no idea if it’s related. I guess I’ll start my archive listen up again.

E:fb

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Bunk posted:

Show’s on hiatus per Twitter and Patreon update. The FB group has been a shitshow (more than usual) the past few days, too - no idea if it’s related. I guess I’ll start my archive listen up again.

E:fb

Oh man the FB Group meltdown has been... yikes.

A whole lotta dudes tellin' on themselves, that's for sure.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

CaptainPsyko posted:

Oh man the FB Group meltdown has been... yikes.

A whole lotta dudes tellin' on themselves, that's for sure.

As someone who doesn’t have a facebook, can you detail the meltdown a bit?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I got kicked out of the Facebook group and I don't even know why. I made one comment in that entire shitshow that said something about how people should stop hurling insults at each other. Good Riddance. That group was toxic as hell.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 9, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

As someone who doesn’t have a facebook, can you detail the meltdown a bit?

Mike said something on twitter that pissed a bunch of people off and then doubled down. Chaos ensues.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

What did Mike say? I left all Facebook groups for podcasts ages ago because I realized they were nothing but grief.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't even find it anymore, but he called defunding the police people crazies and said that it was a bad platform for beating trump. He's wrong, and it's a very Mike take and everyone decided to tell each other to die until half of the people in the group left or got banned I guess? I dunno it was loving chaos lol.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
The Mega archive of the WFMU years is still up if anyone else wants to go back. I didn't make it very far during the WFMU->Podcast break so I still have ~7 years of shows before I get to where I started listening (my first ep was Gathering of the Juggalos with PFT!)

https://mega.nz/folder/IhMUHSbT#bd9x_zzfj2lFfm8_dkvD_A

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

The Bunk posted:

The Mega archive of the WFMU years is still up if anyone else wants to go back. I didn't make it very far during the WFMU->Podcast break so I still have ~7 years of shows before I get to where I started listening (my first ep was Gathering of the Juggalos with PFT!)

https://mega.nz/folder/IhMUHSbT#bd9x_zzfj2lFfm8_dkvD_A

drat, thanks for this link. it freaks me out i've been listening to this show for over ten years, i'm gonna try and figure out the first ep i ever heard (and download the whole thing for safekeeping :angel:)

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Lol I got kicked out of the Facebook group and I don't even know why. I made one comment in that entire shitshow that said something about how people should stop hurling insults at each other. Good Riddance. That group was toxic as hell.

It says my membership is pending. I rarely posted in there and didn’t post in any of the meltdown threads. They may be just auditing the member list and everyone is on pending status. Fred from Honolulu was on one, though, jeepers.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dr.Radical posted:

Fred from Honolulu was on one, though, jeepers.

did he stop chuckling for 15 seconds to have a bad opinion

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

did he stop chuckling for 15 seconds to have a bad opinion

He destroyed one of the admins.

Basically he knew the size of the admin's penis, very small, because the admin kept trying to stick it in various female FoTs (sometimes successfully?) and he was such a creep that they openly discussed it on the No-dudevemeber group.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It seemed to all be group drama poo poo that I had no idea about. I’ve only been in the group for like a year and in that time it has been almost entirely people posting Dave Grohl based jokes or articles about things talked about on the Best Show. Mike’s very Middle Aged White Lib take just set the whole thing off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fez_machine posted:

He destroyed one of the admins.

Basically he knew the size of the admin's penis, very small, because the admin kept trying to stick it in various female FoTs (sometimes successfully?) and he was such a creep that they openly discussed it on the No-dudevemeber group.

Oh was that based on something? I figured he was just burning him in general lol.

I dunno, I love Freds calls but he comes across as a real rear end in a top hat online.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's sad that Tom and Hannibal Buress have never crossed paths. I feel like they would be each other's spirit animals.

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
I found this thread that has more details on whatever facebook drama (why is it specifically facebook groups that devolve into a shitshow that usually turn on the hosts for every podcast across genres), sounds like ap mike was fanning the flames but how anyone who's been listening expect any different is confusing me. A lot of the fans that picked up the show in the last few years have always been a ticking time bomb for something like this and have long made me nervous (and are bad callers).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Newbridge/comments/gz4rfe/eli5_what_happened_on_1_of_the_best_show_facebook/

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It wasn’t ultra interesting to begin with. Basically sometimes people get very attached to something like a podcast or show (which is fine. We all have stuff that makes our life better) and get even more so attached to the community around the show. So much so that it’s their safe space and when other people in the community don’t live up to what they imagine they should be, some people have a meltdown. And then Fred comes in and we all have to respect and revere him because he’s pals with Tom, even when he’s being a complete rear end in a top hat and trying to stir poo poo up (literally someone told another group member to watch their tone when talking to Fred. lol ok).

The same poo poo happens in the FB Achewood group from time to time. It’s real wacky

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Paffgen posted:

A lot of the fans that picked up the show in the last few years have always been a ticking time bomb for something like this and have long made me nervous (and are bad callers).

Yup. I'm sure Steven Universe is a great kids show, but the second that extremely online, adult super fans of a show aimed at 7 year olds started calling in it seemed like a recipe for unhinged explosive drama.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 18, 2020

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

veni veni veni posted:

Yup. I'm sure Steven Universe is a great kids show, but the second that extremely online, adult super fans of a show aimed at 7 year olds started calling in it seemed like a recipe for unhinged explosive drama.

People keep repeating this, but honestly, you’re just telling on yourselves because the folks at the heart of this drama on all sides are not the Steven Universe fans come lately.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's what people keep saying but I read a decent chunk of the drama as it was unfolding, and while I did not read all of it I'd like to hear who was "telling on themselves". It's very possible I missed some pretty bad poo poo that caused it got to be so heated, so I'm not being sarcastic there. it was like thousands of comments and I only noticed it half way through and I wasn't going to read every single one.

From what I read though, which was a lot.

1.Mike makes lukewarm centrist lib comment on Twitter. Part of the community goes absolutely nuclear and wants to see his head on a stick. Anyone who doesn't agree that Mike should be crucified over it gets hit with some of the most toxic bullshit internet bullying I've seen in a while. just an onslaught of "die pigfucker trash" type comments to anyone who doesn't jump on the hate bandwagon.

2. Mod briefly locks thread until Mike can comment on it and reopens. Apparently this is silencing people and Fred is a hero for making some Doxx post about his small dick or something. I don't know or care about who this mod is. Fred is one of the worst kinds of people on the internet.

3. There are plenty of people who seemed do disagree with Mike who also just accepted that Mike saying something dumb isn't the end of the world. These were mostly drowned out of the conversation or just lumped in as a "bad guy"

I don't agree with Mike's take at all, and I think he made a dumb choice by doubling down on his trollish tendencies in this scenario. But when a bunch of people immediately go into full on cancel mode when someone has an opinion they don't like, I kind of can't blame him for just telling everyone to piss off either.

If thinking that the "disagreeing with me is violence/I will ruin your life" crowd sucks is "telling on myself", so be it. People who's entire socialization has come via toxic slapfights and name calling on twitter demand respect, but haven't earned it at all because they treat people like poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Keep in mind my involvement in that group was minimal, and it seems like there was plenty of interpersonal drama that I don't know or care about, but as an onlooker it felt pretty clear to me who the bullies were in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The internet was the worst invention ever. People aren’t mature enough to use it. It should just be online dictionaries and a site where you can buy CDs.