Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/bestshow4life/status/1323393083845857283
We're back, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
:D :D :D

oh how i've missed the best show

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Dunno if they top election night 2016, but I’m excited

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

BigFactory posted:

Dunno if they top election night 2016, but I’m excited

Hopefully tom doesn't get almost killed by a deer this time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:eyepop:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I got very excited thinking this was a normal Tuesday night show and I would have a distraction for a few hours tomorrow. Then I saw it’s tonight.

It took me a year to listen to the 2016 election night episode, knowing that it would depress the poo poo out of me. If I had listened to it live I think it would have been consoling. Either way that was an all timer.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

gently caress yes, big snipe energy

gonna listen to the 2016 election night episode today to get properly in the mood :madmax:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Was last night's The Best Show anywhere near as insane as Fred from Honolulu makes it sound? He's certainly having one about it.

[thread]
https://twitter.com/FredFromHon/status/1326388317785612291?s=20

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Was last night's The Best Show anywhere near as insane as Fred from Honolulu makes it sound? He's certainly having one about it.

[thread]

i guess he's mad that Mike is still involved in the show? I enjoyed the show last night - nothing insane happened.There was a comment Tom made to Mike about basically "not getting into arguments with listeners anymore". I didn't follow any of the drama surrounding him but I'd rather lose Fred from Honolulu than AP Mike if I'm being honest

Edit: there was a very good Philly Boy Roy call as well

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 11, 2020

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Asnorban posted:

[thread]

what in the world

seemed like a pretty normal and good episode to me, v glad the best show is back

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

What did Mike do/say in the first place? Can someone remind me

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Mike is racist as hell and among other things supports profiling Muslims.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Lol Mike went to Princeton? Why was he always moving from not very good paying job to not very good paying job before the show was on a Patreon?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gently caress Fred.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr.Radical posted:

Lol Mike went to Princeton? Why was he always moving from not very good paying job to not very good paying job before the show was on a Patreon?

I think he’s a drunk.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

inferis posted:

Mike is racist as hell and among other things supports profiling Muslims.

He's very economically anxious

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I mean gently caress Mike but I also think Fred is a doofus. I thought it was a pretty normal episode. I just fast forwarded when Mike came on. I don't know if Oreo Woman would be my first pick for the first caller but whatever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't listened to it yet, so I can't speak for Mike, but Fred is one of the most terminal cases of internet brain rot I have ever seen. He is just a massively insufferable tool, internet tough guy, gets off on doxxing etc. He's loving pathetic.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 12, 2020

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mike was being a piece of poo poo to listeners over the summer online, he didn't do anything on the show

But yeah Fred is a dipshit

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

all the modern callers suck except cassius

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Which one is that? I can’t place who that is. I like Colette and that’s about it.

Tom is as good as ever, but yeah at best sometimes callers are kind of entertaining. Most of them aren’t. It’s a different era from spike and Petey and random weirdos calling in. I still think the podcast version is good but WFMU was the shows heyday.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
A lot of the older regulars weren’t great either, hence why there was a ban on regulars calling in for a while during the WFMU days. Tons of legit boring people who called just to basically say “Hey Tom, let me tell you about how my life isn’t great right now.” followed by a call the next week talking about how things were incrementally better.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The problem with the podcast is it doesn’t get nearly as many listeners as the radio so Tom can’t just hang up on people if they don’t have anything to say

veni veni veni posted:

Which one is that? I can’t place who that is. I like Colette and that’s about it.

Cassius was the cab driver who called in twice and got Tom really worked up.

inferis fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 12, 2020

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The callers that wind him up are the best. It’s why Nodudevember is generally boring. He’s too nice to all the callers.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Looks like Mike is distancing himself from the show.

e: whoa sorry for the huge size, not sure how that happened

Only registered members can see post attachments!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did he do something heinous after his initial somewhat tone deaf comment that made the mutants of Facebook want to saw his head off? What is this stuff about him supporting profiling muslims? That's new to me.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Did he do something heinous after his initial somewhat tone deaf comment that made the mutants of Facebook want to saw his head off? What is this stuff about him supporting profiling muslims? That's new to me.

I remember him posting ‘gently caress Islam’ on twitter after (I think) the Bataclan terrorist attack in 2015. Not sure if there was something more recent.

edit: just realized that was 5 years ago today. weird.

Glad the show’s back. Glad So Far is back and wonder if it will continue with or without Mike. Looking forward to seeing the insane poo poo CSNY did in the 80s.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 13, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This poo poo doesn't sit right with me at all tbh. I'm probably coming off as a much bigger Mike stan than I am itt, but gently caress it. I saw that poo poo go down. Fred and a small group of Twitter scum were 100% the bullies in that situation. Mike should get called out on his occasional stupid hot takes, but seeing a bunch of vultures who get off on ruining people successfully get him fired sucks. The internet is the worst.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It kind of sucks that Fred is getting his way just by being a super aggressive jerk but oh well I guess. Hope Mike actually makes it back at some point and this isn’t him being fired from the show.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah mike is one of the best parts of the show.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

brett > mike

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The theme of the next Best Show is convincing Tom that Steely Dan doesn’t suck which should be fun. That’d be a great topic for Mike but alas.

I like the first couple Steely Dan records but totally get why people don’t like them. It’s one of those takes that people seem to think is subversive or something like hating the Doors but is very common.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Steely Dan was terrible until this video

https://twitter.com/steelydance/status/1197207013895356416?s=21

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Do the rest of their songs sound like that because I think I’m down

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
so genesis but not as good, way way worse?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

that clip doesn't reflect the sheer amount of white guy funk that the Dan infuses into their music.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Okay but why you coming for jamiroquai like that

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

inferis posted:

Do the rest of their songs sound like that because I think I’m down

Some of it does, a lot of it doesn’t. That song has a different singer than basically every other steely Dan song too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Steely Dan makes jamiroquai look like the funkiest man to walk the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Steely Dan is way more sleazy than funky, but sometimes sleazy is good too.