Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
I, for one, revel in my mid life crisis... of course it started when I was 14 and has continued for 30+ years, but still....

I started with a bone stock 883 and converted to 1200.. then the disease hit and I started changing things. This is the oldest pic I could find

And this is what it looks like as of last month.

My bike is under the knife again and I'll have to remember to post updated pics when I am done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
SO this new thread is not a TOTAL waste of space, I thought I would share a couple of mods I have made on the rebuild I am doing....

The bike is heavy, and the front wheel is heavy (16x5) so I am getting some fork twist when braking (single side disc) and diving into corners.

After seeing the wide-glide fork braces out there and not liking them, I decided to make my own based on the style of this narrow-glide brace

Some 1/4" steel plate and a simple design

Ready to be bolted on (Have to rebuild the forks first)

I'll show pics installed once I get the forks done.

Then, I was thinking about clip ons or clubman bars because I wanted my bars lower and further forward. It is a wideglide front end so finding clubmans to fit was next to impossible and clip-ons are not cheap.

I still have 1/4" steel plate left so....

This drops my bars by 4" and forward by 3". It also allows me to lower the light setup I have so there is not a huge gap between the primary headlights and the aimable cornering lights.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 16, 2011

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

MonkeyHate posted:

Opinions very much appreciated.

I would go with the HD script over the star, if you plan on leaving it orange.

And dude...springer. That bike is screaming for a Springer.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

CombatMedic posted:

My Genuine Harley-Davidson(R) Brand Motor Accessories(R) Buster Sword(R) is on backorder.

Does anyone have a theory why the V-rod line isn't more popular? It's priced close to the Dyna line, yet it has a much more modern engine, lots more HP and torque, not styled like Grandpa's bike, but it is still a Harley.

I feel like if they marketed it as "Not your father's Harley" they might actually sell a few.

The problem is that most die-hard Harley types do not consider it a Harley at all. It is, in most eyes, a metric import with a Harley logo on it.

Harley does one thing and does it fairly well. They make a thumping 45deg Vtwin that feeds the American need for nostalgia. The VRod is never going to be more than an also ran.

Yeah... and gently caress HD for killing the Buell.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I still think that's misleading. If it's an unlit light for heated grips, ok, cause who gives a poo poo. But ABS is the most significant safety feature you can get on a motorcycle and it can easily mean the difference between life and death. There should be no ambiguities about poo poo like that. Especially since we're talking about a couple dollar part (plastic dashboard face or something) that would not bankrupt a company to make 2-3 versions of.

Come on, that is a crock.

My Jeep has a controls for blue tooth phone connection right on the face panel for the radio, but since I didn't choose to pay for the navi system, that option is not available to me.

So if I get in a wreck and can't reach my phone, I should sue Chrysler cause I can't call 911 using hands free?

I know what options came on the vehicle I bought and if you are too stupid to even read the contract you are signing (much less choose the options you are paying for) then you should have NO right to sue later.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

IcedPee posted:

I just picked up this '78 Sportster over the weekend. I don't care if it's a girl bike, I love it :swoon:

That looks drat good... Sportsters are great bikes, even if they are HD.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I am a sportster guy and don't have a lot of love for the big twins, but if I were to buy one, it would be that one... great looking bike! I would ditch the rack and the highway bars if it were mine, but the rest looks pretty drat good as is.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Schlieren posted:

I haven't ridden one, only sat on them, but the Crossbones™ by Harley-Davidson™ seems really comfortable, and part of the reason are those bars. Some modest apes also are surprisingly comfortable

I was talking about the horrendous crash bars :) They don't work for poo poo unless it is dropping it in the driveway anyway...

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

With the fat front tire on my bike, there is a lot of stress on the forks when riding twisty roads. After a couple of days at Deal's gap, my fork seals were shot, same thing happened the next year.

Looked around and couldn't find any 41mm wide glide fork braces that I really liked, and the prices were ridiculous, so I figured I could redneck something together that would help.

Some 1/4" steel, a hole saw, an angle grinder, some steel tubing and threaded rod, this is what I came up with.

While I was at it, I changed out the sliders, completely rebuilt the forks and did a brake job.

Now to take it back to Deal's Gap and see if it helps!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Giblet Plus! posted:

Here is some constructive criticism:

The above drawing shows the loads on a fork, in a turn, hitting a bump. On the bottom left you can see your fork brace. The brace parallelograms about the threaded rods of your brace and the axle to fork bolted joints.

On the bottom right, you can see the "superbrace" style approach. This design has more stiffness in the axis to resist the loads I drew in the top picture.

Not an engineer or even pretending to be. This basic design is one I copied from a couple of companies that make fork braces, just not in the size I wanted.

What you drew out makes absolute sense, but the issue I am having (I think!) is not that the two legs are compressing at different rates along the longitudinal axis, but that they are torquing? Twisting? at different rates, as though the leading edge of the tire is attempting to turn at a different rate than the trailing edge of the tired (if that makes ANY sense at all)

If you are right about what is causing the seals on my sliders, I have no problem trashing these and starting over. I guess I will find out next time I take it up, eh?

Crayvex posted:

Wouldn't it be better to put the stock tire back on?

Better? Um.... maybe easier, but where is the fun in that? Besides, I like the look and the way this rides, with the exception of the seal issue and that has only been a problem after several days of running US129. For the rest of the year, commuting and the occasional romp, it is just dandy.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 13, 2012

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

So I got this last Tuesday... Dealer leftover 2011 XR1200R with 25miles on the odometer.

I was out with the wife, stopped at the local dealership to get some fork oil and was drooling over one they had that was a contest prize some guy had won. Wife rolled her eyes, then said "Just get one if you want it!"

Took a couple of days of searching to find one, it was in Spartanburg SC... drove down, paid cash, rode it home.

In about 6 hours, a bunch of Sportster guys are leaving for 5 days @ Deal's gap, should be able to give it a good workout.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Deeters posted:

I like how you went from saying that a fork brace was too expensive to just buying a new bike. That matte white is a really cool look.

Too expensive for what you get... I don't see any issue with that statement. :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hold on, are those inverted forks? On a Harley? This isn't the America I was born in

Yep.. with preload, rebound and dampening adjustments, same on the shocks... ON A HARLEY.

n8r posted:

I can't wait to simultaneously hate what you are going to do to that bike because you have questionable taste, but respect the fact that you do most of the work yourself and do at least somewhat original things to your bike.

I am not doing much of anything to this. I will do new exhaust, intake and tuning and I may clean up the brake/turns with smaller units but that is really about it. After doing 250 miles this weekend @ Deal's Gap, I honestly can't change much... this thing is just fantastic.

I'll post some video once I get them transferred... This thing is sooooo unlike my other Sportster that it took some getting used to. The power doesn't come in until you top 3200rpm and it pulls HARD until you hit the rev limiter at 7000rpm.

It sticks so freaking well in the corners that I was scraping pegs and the exhaust heat shield by my 2nd pass and the top end on this bike is just amazing.

Granted, this is coming from someone who has never owned a sportbike, and I know that this bike cannot hang with even the baby sport bikes, but for a Harley it is a radical departure from the norm.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 20, 2012

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Never got a completely clean run, but still set a personal best of 14:05 on a one way from the Overlook to the resort (11 miles, 318 curves). I think with another day, and assuming I didn't hit traffic, I could have shaved another 30 seconds.

http://youtu.be/K4lpO8EmVCg

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you're going to do anything to it, put a bigger headlight on it. That tiny light with all that gap between it and the forks looks weird.

Other than that, awesome bike, enjoy it

I saw one with the Buell dual headlight setup... might make night rides a little brighter.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

While it gets the job done well enough, I wouldn't exactly characterize my Uly's dual headlight setup as bright at night.

Well, that scotches that idea then!

I rode the "Bear Run" this year (Our annual midnight ride on the Tail of the Dragon) and the light is actually not that bad. Better than the 7" I had on my other bike. I am not paying $429 for an HD LED conversion kit but I might still look at other alternatives for bulbs/conversions later on down the road.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

BlackLaser posted:

Bike is great, and I want one now.

So this is a thing. http://vanceandhines.com/xr1200/
http://vanceandhines.com/xr1200racing/race-kit/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwKAXfnAIVM

Speed channel had a race on from Indy this weekend. It was fantastic to watch, even though it ended early due to half the field crashing out from an oil down.

Yeah, they have some nice kit but man... the prices could be a little friendlier!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Deeters posted:

I checked out the HD website to see the 2013 models released today. Everything has a metal flake paint option and they no longer sell the XR.

From what I hear, they are still offering it in Europe, just not in the US. I have met so many people that have never even heard of it.... wonder how it would have gone had HD actually ADVERTISED the bike. I hate the MoCo.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

elsanto posted:

Anyone done a fork spring replacement? I am going to attempt one on the wife's Sportster. Any pointers would be appreciated. Like, do I need to replace the fork oil?

So I was totally off base and the springs can be changed without removing the forks or disassembling. Umm... sorry?

See here: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/dropin/video.html

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 5, 2012

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

elsanto posted:

So I need to take the forks of the bike?

Evidently not, see here: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/dropin/video.html

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 5, 2012

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Scrapez posted:

I wasn't able to see your link but if you don't need adjustability, they make highway pegs that just screw into the stock forward control location. There are a lot of options depending on year but they can get expensive.

Progressive makes a drop in kit that doesn't require fork disassembly.

Well how about that... just watched the video on the progressive website and was surprised, and not a little chagrined, to realize that I was giving instructions for the 41mm forks I have been running on my sporty for the last 7 years.... AND I was doing it wrong.

So I guess that makes me the idiot of the day.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Any opinions on this bike? pic1 pic2. Seller's asking $5k, I offered $4500, he countered with $4750 yadda yadda.

2006 883R, 11k miles (seller has records for factory maint. schedule at dealer)
Parked in garage/single owner/no accidents
"Jet airflow" added, V&H pipes, forward controls.

It's about $500 over what I was wanting to spend, but since I'm a tall dude I was planning on installing forward controls on whatever Sporty I got anyway. I am not a fan of lots of chrome, so the style hits all the right places. What about this "jet airflow"? I'm a newb, but this appears to essentially be a modified carb kit.

Thanks gents :tipshat:

Prices vary by location, but in this area (Carolinas) that is too much for a 6 year old 883. There are several 1200s in the 2004-2006 range with lower mileage for the same price. Even if it is immaculate etc, I would be looking to pay 3500 range.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

The answer is yes :unsmigghh:

Heh.... This is the reaction I expect. Lots of folks bitch about loud Harleys until they ride/own one, then its different.

Anyway, congrats on the bike... let the transformation begin! It is the rare owner who doesn't take advantage of the HUGE aftermarket to start customizing the bike. If you keep it, you will probably go through 3 or 4 generations of style until you hit the one you like enough to keep.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Is it because they make you go stone deaf after owning/riding them a while? :rimshot:

Umm... Maybe?

Nope. It is a lot of fun to blast down the street on a machine whose primary purpose is NOT transportation, but the creation of sound :) It is a visceral experience.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

angryhampster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mik0Lg84z4Y

My ironhead making a lovely noise:
http://youtu.be/mx_lDdhlt3w

I do love me some potato potato.

Since we are talking pipes...

I got a PTF (Patriot Top Fueler) EFI programmer, K&N and some mini-cans for my XR, installed them on Monday. The cans are a little louder than I wanted and I am going to close off the baffles a little. The PTF did a fantastic job getting rid of the lean condition, the stumble at idle and waking the bike up in the lower RPMs. I probably sacrificed some top end, but since the only times I was hitting the red line were by design, not need, I don't think I care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6gpuI7ED9A

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I found some bags I liked (for running errands, overnight etc), but the mounting system was cheesy. I hated the idea of straps going across the tail, just looked untidy. After mulling it over for a bit, and wandering around the hardware store, I found just the thing.

The saddlebags had these molle-type webbing on the back, and that give me an idea.

There are some T-Brackets you can get in the hardware/woodworking area that were the perfect base. A couple of cuts, some trimming of the corners....

Welded them together in the center first, to keep them lined up.

Then welded them to the Bungee Bars and repainted. The welds are strong enough to grab the bracket and shake the whole bike without bending them

When the bags are NOT on there, it gives you lots of options for bungee cords or twine (I use paracord)

You can see how the brackets are just long enough to stick through the webbing. I ordered some small carabiners that will attach to the handle and clip into the holes in the bracket, securing the bags in place.

With them installed, they fit nicely and no straps!

And the best part is that if I want to run the bike clean for a while, the bungee bars are attached with 2 bolts each up under the tail and can be removed without taking the tail off (though that is a 2 minute job itself)

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

echomadman posted:

Thats very tidy, the only worry i'd have is that the webbing would pull off the back of the bag over time if the packs had much weight in them. But with the different holes in the brackets you could easily run a bungee around the bags when you had to stuff heavy things into them

That is a good point... I imagine I can reinforce the stitching on the two loops the bracket actually uses. Would be good insurance.... Thanks!

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I modified the ebay cans by tacking a washer into the outlet side of the baffle, then rewrapped the baffles in some better packing. The packing that came in the cans was paper thin and disintegrated immediately.

The sound is mellower and a bit more civilized.

http://youtu.be/S4XfBGDOf00

Also found the clips I wanted for my QD saddlebags... keeps them secure but come off in about a minute.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Someone at work has a XR 1200 with the same scheme as my Sporty :v:

Man... that makes me want to fix my 05 up to match my XR1200X... Hmm....

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Z3n posted:

I think the XR1200 has a higher spec engine and different frame as well. Not entirely sure though.

When it comes to cruisers, the Diavel is where I would have thought Harley would have eventually ended up...someone finally took advantage of long wheelbase, dumped a monster engine in it, and made a stupid fast bike in a straight line. Same with the VMax.

It does have a higher revving engine, with oil cooled heads and a few other changes.

The frame is very close except for a couple of degrees of rake and, of course the tail section.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

New Exhaust flyby video, just because.

http://youtu.be/gnbIkiF3EBc?hd=1

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Paytizzle posted:

Hey guys! I just joined the Harley club. Although I think most stereotypical Harley dudes will judge me.

I love this thing. SO much more comfortable than my SV 650. And it looks cooler and is a ton of fun to ride.

I really want a flyscreen for it though. Anyone know where I could pick one up?

You have outstanding taste in motorcycles.... But I may be just a tad prejudiced....

I have a National Windscreen "Gladiator" on mine. It is adjustable and I have it set so it is *just* tall enough to direct the wind over my helmet if I tuck in a bit. Makes highway riding a little nicer.

Here is a more front view

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Paytizzle posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll probably pick one up. Love the bike by the way, I think the white is the best color on the XRs. Any other suggestions for gear on the bike?

I see you still have the stock seat. Have you done many long rides? I took a 2 and a half hour trip a few weeks ago and it was fine, but I think my butt would be super sore on a longer one.

Nope, no long rides. The longest I have spent in the saddle was about an hour and a half, but that was half-on, half-0ff, and shifting around as I rode the twisties up in the mountains... not that constant, butt killing highway type riding.

If you plan to change your pipes or your intake (K&N for example) you have to remap, and the dealer is either not going to be able to or will screw it up trying.

Spend the $250 and get the Patriot Top Fuel widget (check out http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com and join up to get the discount). It is a snap to install, and the settings it comes with will cover most aftermarket intakes and pipes without changing a thing. You won't have to start messing with settings unless you do some radical changes OR want to dial in that last .01 sec.

I meant to ask.. what year? Cool info for you:

2011 there were only 1262 made (Only 507 in the US), 2012 production was 835 (294 in the US)!

So... Pretty rare :)

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 10, 2012

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Right. drat them.

No more... but that just means my bike will be worth more what with the limited production numbers and limited distribution in the US.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Was packing some boxes and found some pics I had forgotten about.

This is my 90 FLHS on the day in bought it back in April 1990.

and this, though it isn't a Harley, was the bike I had in the late 80's just prior to getting the FL (I guess I thought I was a badass back then, it was like 1989 and I was in the 82nd Airborne )

Kawasaki 454 LTD

Back then I didn't even own a car from the mid 80's to the mid 90s, just the bikes.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 13, 2012

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

elsanto posted:

I want to put a quick release windshield on my Sporty Low. Who makes a good one (besides Harley)? Is National Cycle worth the money?

National makes them for Harley, and Harley jacks the price up. You can get the same screen directly from National at a better price.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Pubic Lair posted:

Do any goons know anything about shovelheads?

A guy I know won a 70's FX shovelhead in a raffle for $50 a year ago. It's all kitted out with apes, kick/elec start and a wide glide front. He somehow managed to bork something in the motor which he thinks is a bad piston and possible topend. He also said it needs new oil lines. He owns a newer fatboy and isn't mechanically inclined and is not 100% what the motor issues are.

He needs some money and was talking about letting it go for $1500. At that price what would I be looking at worst case for a motor rebuild? I'd be looking to do as much labor as possible myself but realize I would probably need some parts machined. Does that sound like a decent deal or will trying to get a shovel rebuilt cost more than the bike is worth?

Even if you have to do a complete rebuild on the motor, it is STILL worth $1500 if the rest of the bike is sound! If you do the rebuild yourself, and have to replace a piston or even the jug as well, you are looking at a couple of hundred if you buy a used jug and new piston, a bit more for repop jug.

If you spend another $1500 on the bike, say you have to rebuild the entire motor, you would still come out ahead if the bike is in good shape. Clean and running Shovels are bringing more than new these days and even a so-so bike should fetch $3500 - $4k.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 16, 2013

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Pubic Lair posted:

That was my feeling but Googling gave me numbers all over the place for a rebuild. The only other drawback is its a 4 speed but if I were to get it I think it would be and around town bike anyways.

Now I have to get the Guy to sell.

A buddy of mine picked up a pair of freshly honed jugs, NIB matching pistons and seals for an Iron Head, all for $300 at a bike swap last weekend (probably a project that never took off?). If you shop around and do the work yourself, you can save a shitload of money. Farm it out to a shop and you may get hosed unless you know someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I still haven't ridden Vrod, but I want to, just to see how it goes. Good looking bike.

• Locked thread