Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

A Harley thread in CA? Get the gently caress out of here.

I have a 2000 Sportster. It began life as an 883 and is now a 1250. Had the conversion done this year by an indy with parts from NRHS. They are a very good outfit if you are thinking of going this route.

Here's the list of what I put into the bike:

1200R/Buell XB heads
1250 Cylinders running 10.5:1
Andrews N4 cams
Dyna 2000i ignition module

Right now I'd guess I'm making 80-85 horsepower at the rear wheel with stock headers and Screamin Eagle II slip ons. Going to go to a 2 into 1 exhaust in the spring and have it dyno'd so I'm excited to see what it will do.

It is a completely different bike as a 1250 than it was as an 883 or even a 1200.

I've got a lot of other more cosmetic work to do on the bike this winter as I've been switching out chrome for black parts (YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!) for some time now. I'll post up some pics when I am at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

A Sportster supermoto? No...seriously.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARLEY-MEGA-SPORTSTER-/150678912976?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item231529bfd0&clk_rvr_id=277679490915

It certainly is original.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Uh, is that a full-size bike? The scale and proportions make it look like a pit bike

Yes. The ad says you have to be at least 6'4" to ride it. :suicide:

Edit: Requirements to ride:- 6' 4' tall or at least 15 stone!!! there is 15" Ground clearence under the sump.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 28, 2011

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

redscare posted:

You should see some of the mutations that have shown up on ADVrider.

This guy (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681994) was already a legend before this year and then he came out with this:

Holy poo poo! Well I'm pretty much reading all 143 pages of that thread so thank you. That seems like it would be one heavy mother. I have the same air cleaner insert as him. :)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I have Buell XB heads on my bike. Does this mean I'm no longer allowed in the thread? :qq:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I can't believe they don't offer mids on those. With forwards and that much horsepower, you have to feel like you're going to fly right off the back.

My sporty has around 85hp and I felt like I was going to fly off the back with forwards.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I still ride without a windshield but if I were to go on a long trip, I'd put one on.

When I get to 60-65 MPH, it gets pretty fatiguing with the wind trying to rip me off the bike. Especially if there's a headwind.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

After 1000 miles shieldless on the interstate, your comfort tolerance should go up to like 80-85 MPH. 60-65 MPH feels like a light breeze to me.

I guess I'm a wuss. I've put 10,000 miles on shieldless and it still fatigues me riding on the interstate for any length of time.

I've got a pretty sweet fairing/windshield I picked up new for 50 bucks from a guy. I'm going to put that on in the spring. Looks a lot like this:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

If Harley is found to be at fault (which I can't imagine they will be), then every single bike and car on the road today should be recalled and fitted with gauges that accurately represent their trim level and option packages.

That's how dumb his lawsuit is.

Nah, Costs way more to recall things so they'll pay a settlement and go on their merry way. Stupid lawsuits like this happen everyday. It's the reason that we have warning labels on everything because people are so stupid.

And actually, the guy may not be stupid. He may just be looking for the $$$. People get paid for their mistakes everyday. America, gently caress yeah! :negative:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm aware that ALL vehicle manufacturers do this, though.

Fixed that.

From my understanding, it did not have an actual light, rather a "placeholder" if you will on the dash without a bulb behind it.

If there is the faint outline of the word "EXIT" on the wall of a business but no door underneath because it's been bricked in and I walk straight into the brick wall, should the business be held accountable or am I just a dumbass?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Edit: What he said above...not sure how I glossed over that.

clutchpuck posted:

Huh, I wonder if this means my lovely ol' Ranger has ABS. The light comes on when I start it and then turns itself off immediately. Am I an idiot for assuming my truck DOESN'T have ABS when it may possibly actually come equipped?

If it's an older Ranger, it may have rear wheel only ABS. So, my suggestion is to run through a schoolyard of children, hit a school and bump your head and then sue Ford for not having a light stating "Rear Wheel ABS Only"

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I started on a 1987 883 and it was a good first bike. It's a bit heavy but the power is not something to be worried about at all. The nice thing is that if you drop it and break something you can get a cheap replacement on Ebay. There are tons and tons of OEM and aftermarket parts for these bikes.

If you go with an 883, I'd definitely recommend getting a '91-'03 because it will have a 5 speed as opposed to a 4 speed transmission. That extra gear makes a big difference on the highway.

The other thing that would really help a new rider is putting lowered suspension on the bike to get the ride height down.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

second best sponge posted:

Traded my GSXR for a Harley.

http://i.imgur.com/uItmb.jpg

Linked for big.

Love the look of the 48. Only thing I don't think I'd like about it is the peanut tank. I have to stop for gas every 100 miles with my 3.3 gallon tank. Stopping every 60 or so would kind of suck.

Very cool bike. Congrats!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Cross-posting from the pictures thread because it really probably belongs here anyway:

A couple old pictures of my dad's Knucklehead barn find from back in the day. He found it in some old farmer's chicken coop and the guy gave it to him. He ended up restoring it and selling it before I was even thought of back in the 70's. Wish he'd have kept it.

He's looking for post-restore pics so I'll post those when I get them. Pretty cool looking bike, though.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Are they telling you you'll get bored with an 883 because of the low horsepower? Or is that what you're thinking?

To that, I'd say you can buy an 883 off the showroom floor and ride it for a year or two until you get bored. Then, convert it to a 1250 with new heads and cams. You can have a dead reliable bike with 85-90 rwhp. It will be a faster bike than most Harleys and be less than a brand new 1200 off the showroom floor.

Better yet, as Z3n suggested, find a used bike. If you're set on a Harley the Sportster really is a good bike for short to moderate distance rides. I'm biased as hell, though, so keep that in mind.

You can find a used rigid mount or even a rubbermount for $4000 all day long.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

NoDoorway posted:

Test road a sportster 1200 (custom I think) and a bonneville the other day for giggles.

I still love bonnies. The Harley just seemed lethargic and slow. Handled ok for what it is but yeah, I was surprised at how gutless it was. Also it seemed to lug really easily. I was expecting tonnes of torque and was really disappointed.

Then got back at the Street Triple and was reminded of why I love it so.

Not that they're powerhouses but if it was a brand new one at the dealership, they are really hampered out of the factory to meet 50 state emissions.

At least, I assume they still are on the FI bikes. I know they were previously on the carbed versions. First thing everyone does is "pay the taxes" by rejetting.

That said, I love Bonnevilles. The looks are great. Nice thing about a Sportster is the availability of aftermarket parts.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Anyone need a brand new 1984 XR1000?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/220942214431#ht_500wt_1182

Pretty neat but wonder what the reserve is? I think used ones go for around 15k...

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Meh.. overpriced with mods you can do for yourself on a used sporty for 500 bucks and some Roth Metal Bomb rattle cans.

That can be said for basically any Sportster with factory mods.

It's a good looking bike. As you said, it can be done for a lot less money doing it yourself but the vast majority of riders are the type that buy their bike from the dealership and then take it back to the dealer to get all the parts switched onto it so they would end up paying that much to change a standard Sportster into the '72.

Clearly Harley's deal with the Sportster in the last few years has been to check out what guys are doing in the aftermarket scene and then incorporate it into a model in the next few years.

Guys were switching to wideglides and 16" front wheels and a few years later you see the 48.

Black became the new chrome with guys blacking out their bikes and then you see the Nightster and Iron come along.

Bobbing fenders and you see that on the newer bikes.

Apes have seemed to made a resurgence and now you get the '72.

Good marketing really. I mean they are slow with it and expensive but, well, that's Harley.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh I know, I just find it funny that they have to come up with a new name and charge 3 grand more for basically the same bike with some mini apes and a peanut tank.

I never will understand people that dont work on their own bike. I knew poo poo about gently caress when it came to bikes and my buddy has been teaching me all about them and how to maintain, modify and chop them ever since I got mine. Its more fun and wallet satisfying to take the 10 minutes to change the oil and filter yourself than to get charged 100 bucks to have someone else do it.

Completely agree with you. Working on the bike is second only to riding it in enjoyment for me. Learning how things work, how to make them better, etc is part of the fun for me.

Sadly, I think we're the minority.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Im on the lookout for a used Sporty right now to chop and make into something awesome (read: ridiculous) and skinny. But people here want 5500 bucks for a '95 883 and I cant take them seriously.

vvvvvv San Antonio, TX

You should be able to get a used rigid mount for 3000-4500 pretty easily. I see them all the time around here.

I did a search on searchtempest.com and came up with a couple:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2833888587.html
'96 with a stupid tank but otherwise looks good. Asking $4000

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/2830346985.html
'03 with some extras. Asking $3500 - This one looks good if it's in good order. Last year of the rigid mount. Has 4 piston calipers that the '96 wouldn't and sealed bearings in the wheels.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/2835214077.html
'01 Custom with chrome stuff. Asking $4400 - I'd probably go with the '03 over it for what you want to do since you're paying for the chrome stuff that you are going to take off anyway. Depends on what kind of shape I guess.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah for the 86-03 bikes, you can find so much stuff on Ebay. I've only bought one thing from an actual Harley shop since i've owned my bike and it was a clutch bearing.

The 883r it's one of the best looking sportsters in my opinion. It and the 1200s sportster sport (most retarded name ever)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Boy do I have a surprise for you guys.. This is downstairs from my office:

An entire store filled with things of the sort. Also, I will be having that pizza for lunch today, poo poo's delicious.

A Harley shop that doesn't sell motorcycles. Fitting really... :negative:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

If you are looking to do a 1250, I can't recommend NRHS enough. Nrhsperformance.com. Dan is the owner and a really helpful guy. If you call him up and tell him what you are looking to accomplish, he'll definitely point you in the right direction.

The other guy I'd recommend is the other dan at hammer performance. I know they do all the head work for nrhs and they have set several records at bonneville on buells. Those two guys know buells and sportsters better than most anyone.

I had my sportster rebuilt last year with 1250, 04 1200r heads...same as Buell and Andrews N4 cams. I went through nrhs and they were great. Bike has been dead reliable 2500 miles later. I do have to run premium octane though as i'm running 10.5 to 1 compression. I'm running an Ultima ignition set to the least aggressive curve. After adjusting my voes, I don't get any detonation.

Can't imagine what 103 HP feels like. I haven't dynod but based on other similar builds, i'm probably pushing around 85 rwhp and it feels really healthy.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

I was looking at Hammer, they seem to have good reputation.

'06 XBs like mine do about 105 stock at the crank, and mine's been uncorked and remapped on a dyno; I pulled the 102 number from the papers that came with the bike, not my rear end - how optimistic was the dyno though, 18,000 miles ago... They respond well to breathing upgrades and tune, I am not in crazy power land or anything, the bike is about where it should be.

I'm basically looking for status quo, power-wise, but with a more tractory torque curve so I can poo poo my pants at a lower RPM. New rings, pistons, cylinders, and top end seals/gaskets should take care of its expensive AMSoil habit.

Probably similar to yours, minus 100 lbs, with a bigger dose of rev limiter. A lot of the power lives at 6-7k. I usually keep it under 6.

I am Buell retarded so I have no idea what they come with for stock cams but would a set of aftermarket cams give you more of the torque curve you're looking for?

With the N4's in my bike (Screamin Eagle .497s), it seems to come on around 3000-3500 but that is with the crazy low 883 gearing. It's a torque monster.

I know that NRHS is currently working with Andrews on a custom cut cam for Sportsters so they may be doing something similar for Buells as well. Hammer may be as well, I'm not sure.

That is an impressive number of miles you've put on your bike. I don't even have half of that on mine.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

IcedPee posted:

Kind of a stupid question, but I've got a 78 sportster and it needs new fork seals. How do I know which seals to buy? I've been looking at seals, seal rebuild kits, etc, but they all specify certain front ends and different year ranges that mine could fall in.

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is, how do I determine if I have a Showa, Kayaba, or other fork?

I'm not too familiar with the pre-evo Sporties so I don't know the answer to your question. I do know that the fork sliders on my 2000 have "Showa" stamped on them.

I would ask your question over on xlforum.net. They'll know.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Anything up to about 10"bars are comfortable for me. Beyond that and forget it.

That's coming from someone who is 6 feet tall and has long arms. I have no idea how some of these guys ride. I see these little dudes with huge apes and they don't even look like they are sitting on the seat.

Once you get your hands much above your shoulders, it pretty much sucks.

On the flip side, drag bars are even worse for me. Being hunched over kills my back. Im not willing to be uncomfortable to be cool.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

angryhampster posted:

Whud up CAHOG

Bugs are bad this year in Iowa. My ride was around 75 miles today and my shield was covered in them. Also, my speedometer cable decided to relieve itself from duty about halfway through my ride. Sending unit's threads stripped out I think...not exactly sure how.

Great looking bike. Bugs are bad this year already. Probably because we hardly had winter. Where in Iowa are you? I'm in cedar rapids. Would be up for a ride if you are close.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

High Protein posted:

Some kind of a back rest/sissy bar really makes all the difference on those. Without it you keep sliding back, it's horrible.

Edit: And without after-market shocks they keep bottoming out 2-up too.

Road King or Street Glide air shocks bolt right onto a Sportster with a few washers added and longer bolts. Add 10 pounds of pressure to them riding 2-up and the ride is actually very good.

The gf and I ride 2-up down to her hometown and back weekly. It's about a 150 mile round trip. We usually stop once each way and it isn't bad at all.

That is running a Mustang Regal Duke and a sissy bar/backrest. The seat makes a huge difference. I had a Badlander on there before and we couldn't ride but about 40 miles without having to stop.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

IcedPee posted:

Edit: afterthought: The condescending, but informative, dude at the bike shop implied that, since my seals were shot and leaking oil onto the brake rotors, they would have to be cleaned somehow before it would pass. Is there any special way I should be cleaning them other than giving them a wipe-down and then just using the brakes a few times as normal? I don't wanna go back to the guy and have him tell me he won't pass it until he changes the seals himself (for $200).

Get a big can of brake cleaner and go to town on them with that and a rag. They'll clean right up. Just put something underneath like a towel because if they're really dirty, that black poo poo will drop all over the ground and make a mess.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I like that a lot. Harley should make bikes like this.

Guessing they'll put out a cafe Sportster pretty soon. Lots of guys started putting fatboy 16" wheels on the front of their sportsters (fatsters) then lo and behold they come out with the 48 a couple years later.

Lots of guys doing the ape hanger and bobbed thing with white walls and lo and behold they come out with the Seventy-Two awhile later.

Lots of guys are doing Sportster cafes now so...

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

One day I will probably pick one up because they are lovely, but drat are they expensive. I haven't seen a used one under $9000. Mmmm, Thunderstorm heads...

The Buell XB and 04 1200r sportster heads are even better than the thunderstorms.

I think I'd rather put a 1250 conversion on a standard sportster and make it look alike. Probably be cheaper and would have more hp.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Kaliber posted:

The old battery was completely dead.

New battery, it turned over a few times, backfired and kept backfiring before I stopped.

First thing I would do is pull the plugs to see what they look like.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Strife posted:

Moving off of awesome vintage Sportsters for a moment, how often should I do the clutch adjustment on my 2011 Nighster? Should I just follow the maintenance interval like the book suggests?

I don't know if the clutch adjustment on the new ones is the same as my 2000 but to adjust mine is a10 minute job. I'd say follow the maintenance schedule and you are fine but if you want to check it more often, can't hurt.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Can someone do a data dump on pre-'04 Sportsters? I'm seeing a bunch of them pop up for cheap-ish on CL lately. Is the older frame-mounted engine as punishing as rumors make it seem? What are good years to look for or avoid? Other than the obvious hamfisted Harley owner aftermarket 'mods', is there anything critical to look out for?

I'll expand on this tomorrow when i'm at a computer but here are a few thoughts:

86-90 - have 4 speed transmission which isn't as desirable. Harder to find some parts as they are a bit different. Harder to work on. Also they were chain drive versus belt so more maintenance.

If I were looking, I probably wouldn't get one. I had an 87.

After 90, the changes were pretty subtle.

In 2000, they came with 4 piston calipers which are an improvement. Sealed bearings in the wheels.

To me, the frame mount ride isn't bad at all but i'm biased. I have a 2000. I have ridden a nightster quite a bit and the ride might be slightly better but very similar. I found that upgrading the rear shocks to road king air shocks and the front springs to progressive drop INS improved the ride quite a lot.

If I were to buy a specific sportster, it would be a 1200s. The "sportster sport" it came with dual front discs, dual plugged heads and better cams for a bit more performance, upgraded shocks and some black accessories.

Aside from that model, upgrades I would look for are a 2 into 1 exhaust, a nice seat as the stock seats suck and just a bike that has been well maintained. These things run forever with even half way decent care.

Other performance considerations would be whether you want to do an 883 or a 1200. Obviously the 1200 will have more performance but if you plan to go for hi performance in the future, the 883 heads are desirable for porting when you do a 1200 or 1250 conversion.

My bike was an 883 originally and I had it converted to 1250 but instead of porting 883 heads, went with the 2004 heads which are even better. On that note, if you find an 04-06, I wouldn't be afraid of that either. Better performance and still carbureted.

As far as models, they had the sport as I mentioned, the883c and 1200c which came with more chrome, different riser and handlebar setup basically top of the line. The standard 1200 and 883 and the hugger which was just the lowered version like the low today.

Hope that helps some. Condition is everything to me. These bikes are so easy to change things on, get a good canvas and change it how you see fit.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The XR is a really cool bike but I'm not surprised HD killed it for all the reasons already mentioned.

They are not in the business of building high performance bikes. They are a marketing company.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I don't think it's silly. Really depends on your inseam. I'm 6 foot and fit on the bike just fine but my inseam is 33".

Forwards would probably be more comfortable for you or highway pegs if you are going mids. Some seats sit you back further as well. I had a Corbin classic on mine and it moved me forward at least an inch compared to the stock badlander.

I would think with the right seat/peg/handlebar arrangement, you could be comfortable. Sportsters aren't comfortable for more than about 100 miles for anyone. But that's the fuel range so it works out.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

To me, mids with highway pegs are the best setup. Mids are better for cornering and in heavy stop and go traffic. Highway pegs are good for just that.

On a sportster, the more positions you have at your disposal the better if you are on a long ride.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Strife posted:

Any options for fitting black highway pegs on a sporty without crash bars other than buying these and having them powder coated?

I wasn't able to see your link but if you don't need adjustability, they make highway pegs that just screw into the stock forward control location. There are a lot of options depending on year but they can get expensive.

quote:

Front springs...

Progressive makes a drop in kit that doesn't require fork disassembly.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 5, 2012

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

It's not a great deal but not a complete rip off. I'd stick to your 4500 and let him think about it.

The jet kit might just mean they changed out the carb jets which they call "paying the taxes" Harley ships the bikes to meet EPA and they're basically choked down on fuel and air. You get more performance when you change the jets/air cleaner.

it's a nice looking bike. The bars are aftermarket as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Apparently, this guy rides around down by Lake of the Ozarks.

Why must people be so ridiculous?

• Locked thread