Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Motion Pro and Barnett both immediately come to mind as big custom cable suppliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
She's taller than me which comes into play for 2 up. Fortunately she prefers to ride her R than pillion with me. I didn't get the buell with her in mind!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

An XB ... if yall have more information on peculiarities I'd be grateful.

The engines are pretty bulletproof. In hotter-than-the-sun EPA config, the 2007s tend to poo poo their rocker box gaskets, but if you get it tuned so it's happy it probably won't happen. On that note, a stock XB and a tuned XB (even with stock pipes, etc) are like night and day - if you get one, make sure it sees some dyno time if it hasn't already. A tuned XB is easier and way more comfortable to ride (hot leg, hot leg!)...

Not sure if it's isolated to the Ulysses, but the 2006 is prone to shred its fuel pump wiring. Early sign of a shorted out fuel pump is a false fuel reserve light when there's plenty of fuel onboard.

There is some concern regarding the rear wheel bearings. Some folks keep spare bearings around and check them every time the wheel comes off, others upgrade to a 2010 wheel which has 3 bearings instead of 2.

If you go with a 2008+ model, the TPS reset is a breeze; it's kind of a chore on the 2007 and earlier but like you said, it's only an occasional chore.

One thing they all do is throw oil until it's below a certain level. Mine settles at about 4mm above the "add oil" line. If I fill it above that level, I am spraying money out of the breather.

The fan annoys some people, but if it's seen some dyno time and tuned happy, it seldom even comes on.

All-in-all, XBs are mechanically very simple. There isn't much that goes wrong or to really keep track of. No valve adjustments, no chain cleaning or adjustments, only two brakes to worry about, no silly radiators and coolant. Hell, the rear wheel automatically aligns itself when you torque down the axle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

One day I will probably pick one up because they are lovely, but drat are they expensive. I haven't seen a used one under $9000. Mmmm, Thunderstorm heads...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

Something about the size of the headlight that messes up the look of the frontend for me.

Fixed!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah a mileage readout seems extraneous and every fuel gauge I've seen is not accurate enough to rely on any moreso than a 1gal reserve and mental arithmetic.

I'm not saying I reject all bikes with those items, I just think they're luxuries. On a modern bike, give me a speedometer with 2 trip odometers, a reserve light, and maybe a tach.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Old gas?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

SaNChEzZ posted:

So my buddy bought a brand new street bob, less than 1000 miles on it and its in the shop, leaking oil. They told him either a head gasket seal or a cracked cylinder wall. How common is it for these bikes to end up in the ship quickly?

Not very. Should be covered under warranty, right?

Good opportunity to punch it out to 110!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know about you folks but I am mentally on my way to Sturgis. I am pretty much an oil change, wheel bearing replacement, and 40 clocked hours away... and I am useless.

Am I the only goon going?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The crossbones is just begging for a small pair of throw-overs right under the saddle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I dunno, they look pretty great in pictures too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Good news! You can buy 4-5 X1s for the cost of a XR1200x.... If you can find them!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
While it gets the job done well enough, I wouldn't exactly characterize my Uly's dual headlight setup as bright at night.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On my vstar I simply put in a fancy bulb when I had to replace the factory one and it was a huge improvement. Something like a Sylvania silverstar ultra.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Deeters posted:

Everything has a metal flake paint option and they no longer sell the XR.

The 2013 flake is definitely pretty though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ball654 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with 1999(ish) Harley FLHTCI leaking fuel line problems?

I am aware of some vacuum petcock issues from that vintage. Lots of folks switch up to a manual valve. This is only for carb models though.

If it's an EFI or if it's clearly not the fuel valve, I'd pop the tank up, locate the leak, and fix it. There isn't much fuel line on these.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah for an example of a tangible update, the newer touring frame (07-up?) is a big step in handling and balance. But it looks the same so it must be same.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've heard that the Vrod sells like hotcakes in Europe, enough to keep the model around without needing to advertise it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Giblet Plus! posted:

they only do serious updates when forced to by the government. the reason they made the big twin was that the evo was too loud (gear driven cams) and didn't comply with emissions.

The government forced them to add inverted forks and a tailpiece to the Vrod? Or the frame updates on the touring models? 6-speed gearbox?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 31, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

Is it because they make you go stone deaf after owning/riding them a while? :rimshot:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Everybody who lived through the '70s was "the original hipster" or whatever.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Well, either the can is too loud for the phone's mic or the phone's mic sucks. Either way, I want in on this potato potato stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KKNQb8GMuA

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The quality seems solid to me, mine has almost 50k of use and it's been kept outside for a while at some point; hasn't given me trouble. It's just the same exact stuff they were using 12 years ago so it's dated looking and feeling. GM is a good comparison I think.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 23, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Anybody who's considered a Sporty because they want a lighter, sportier Harley but they're too expensive, too slow, or uncomfortable: consider a tube frame buell. The cyclone has perfect ergos and the lightning has awesome stock suspension for a standard.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm on a sprint toward 50,000mi with the Buell and am definitely using more oil than I did at the beginning of the year, so this winter might be the right time to do a top-end refresh. That will give me an opportunity to add a bung to the front header while it's off, so I can datalog individual cylinders and dial the tune in even better.

Does anybody know anything about Hammer Performance components? I am looking at their 1250 kit; cylinders, lightweight pistons, circlips, rings. The price seems about right, but I want to do it once and get another 50k out of the top end so I need good longevity; might as well ask around about how they do...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

TheScott2K posted:

I want an XR1200 real bad. Why do I never lust after awesome bikes being made by H-D until they cancel them?

Closing down buell helped push used prices into my budget so it might not be all bad... At least Harley is still in business!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

I always had a thing for XR1200s until I found out they're nearly 550 lbs if I remember correctly. No wonder at Indy the Moto3 250cc singles turn faster lap times...

Still kinda want one.

The nice thing about motorcycling is it isn't always about lap times. I think 550lbs is fine for a street bike with a buttload of midrange like the XR has. The XR is not super flickable but it will lean over and hold a line well enough.

XB12S Lightnings are what you "XR is too heavy" guys are looking for though. Under 500lbs, similar sound and torque to an XR, oil cooled heads like the XR, proper rear suspension, only one front brake to worry about, fully-reprogrammable ECM, and around half the cost. It's an ugly duckling but you don't see much of it from the saddle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I could be wrong about the head-specific detail, but the XBs are air/oil cooled because, good god, they need to be.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Curb weight on paper doesn't always translate directly to riding dynamics. Try one if you can, you might like it despite its porkiness.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There's not a whole lot else. Inspect the belt, clean it if you're anal retentive. Check your brake pad thickness. Lube your control cables, maybe, especially if the clutch one feels notchy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Oh yeah brake fluid... Am I alone on this or do most bleed jobs end up as a flush anyway by the time it's finished?

The primary chain is another thing to check but it's probably fine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I had bars just like that on my vstar and changed them out after a 3000 mile trip. The grip angle made me have to bend my wrists out which made my fingers numb after like 100 miles - sucked for those 500 mile days. The new ones I got placed the grip at approximately the same location - just barely lower and aft of stock - but the angle let me keep my wrists straight and it was a big improvement.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Post pics of the rear cyl seep!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's hard to sell a 30,000 mile Sporty, they simply aren't as desirable as a big twin and there's a million out there with way less miles you could pay more for if you wanted.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I wanted to set my vstar up with boots like that but sold it before I got to it. Looks cool. Maybe I'll do the DT just to receive disapproval from n8r.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Strife posted:

Please advise.

Shift sooner.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Spiffness posted:

It doesnt perform better it just performs louder.

You say this as if there should be a distinction :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My EFI Buell 1200 is a cantankerous gently caress when it's cold, too. Actually, half warm is the worst, it spits through the intake which is jarring as hell. There's a page-long list of what could be doing that so I've settled on letting it idle for a few while I gear up - sorry neighbors.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It also has a factory springer fork. Wrap your mind around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Raven457 posted:

Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices!

The first thing that comes to mind is EDO RAM.

• Locked thread