Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm talking with some people on the internet about education, and someone asked about Charter Schools, and aside from laying out some basic points about why privatized education is a terrible idea, The Myth of Charter Schools is something I always cite, just because it's incredibly well laid out and takes something quite a few people have seen (Waiting for Superman) and puts the argument in the context of that movie.

On this same line, I thought I saw a headline earlier today about how teacher unions are actually beneficial to education, but I lost it, and I couldn't find it via Google. Anyone else see/save that?

There's one on that subject in internaut's huge List O' Links back near the beginning of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Erkenntnis posted:

Might be useful to have a list of common logical fallacies in the OP.

I'm not sure I agree with that, it seems like it would promote even more people to just poo poo out perceived fallacies without understanding them to try to end debates. Knowing logical fallacies without knowing logic or debate does nothing to increase discourse.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

It's almost as if those same people were the beneficiaries of decades of racial exploitation...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Does anyone have good sources on the relation between adoption and availability of abortion? Some poo poo head in my Speech class gave a pro-life speech and she kept using adoption and adopted people as an emotional prop and presented her opinion(that adopted people would all be dead if abortion was legal, and pro-choice people are all murderers for not supporting adoption) as the opinion of all adopted people, which as someone who was adopted and pro-choice and whose adoptive mother is adopted and pro-choice, I found offensive and demeaning as hell. I'd like to make a rebuttal and send it to her through a mutual friend.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Actually, Psychology Today is a really bad source. It's basically the TMZ of the the psychology world.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Hey, this seems pretty clearly false. Like, if only a hundred widgets are sold a year forever, JiffyWidg and Widg-o-Matic Industries can still compete over those sales.

They can, but it's a lot easier to just collude, jack up the prices sky high and split the sales.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

computer parts posted:

you completely missed the point.

No, because any competition in that situation would not be meaningful competition, it'd be at best theater.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

One thing to remember is that the "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles" quote is that it doesn't come from one of his academic works, but rather the Communist Manifesto which is a statement of purpose for a political group, and it's the opening line of the body of the work. It's designed to be a grandiose statement that grabs the attention of those who read it, whether they agree or disagree. Remember the "Attention Getter" sentences your elementary school teacher told you to use? It's one of those, and probably the most famous one of all times.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Yeah. The extra money from food stamps comes from increased productivity by the worker who can now eat more/more healthily, increased demand leading to more production, whereas a tax cut to the rich is likely just going to sit in a bank account somewhere essentially removing it from the economy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

They'll shunt all the fringe party members to the poor areas and make all their money through taking jobs with companies that lobbied them when they were in office after their terms are up. Just like now!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Is "They only did it because they thought they could get away with it" supposed to make the banks look better? Because to any sane person, it really doesn't. I honestly don't get how that's supposed to be a good thing. It's basically just saying they're not greedy, they're greedy and cowards.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

esquilax posted:

No, I don't know why you'd get that idea.

I mean from the libertarian point of view, as I've actually seen several libertarians use it as a defense.

Chantilly Say posted:

The libertarian counter to this might be that if you can get away with something, why shouldn't you do it?

And my response to that is if I was alone in a room with a random person and could get away with murdering them, should I do it? It's a weak rear end defense that shows a lack of self-critical thinking from the person employing it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

So, this weekend the local bank my family and I use ran out of money and was seized by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and given to the FDIC. It made me a bit curious on the modern role of the FDIC. I know Libertarians and other rightists generally oppose the Federal Reserve, but do any parties/ideologies officially oppose the FDIC as being government interference in the free market? How does the FDIC work now that business and personal banking is so deeply intertwined? What protections does my money have beyond the FDIC/what would have happened to it if the FDIC wasn't insuring it?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

Nobody in any position of power is against the FDIC as a concept and of course the government would perform ad hoc bailouts (at a much greater expense and hazard) of depositors even if the FDIC didn't exist. It really isn't an ideological issue not to want the banking system and the economy to collapse (unless you're an accelerationist I suppose but I doubt there are many secret Trotskyite entryists at any level of government). Also the banks pay for FDIC insurance (through a mandate ) in the first place. The fact is that even banks who don't perceive any risk of ever facing insolvency still benefit from the collective faith in the banking system bestowed by deposit insurance. So yeah, it's one of those issues where the actual capitalists don't care about what capital-deficient libertarians crow about.

That's kind of what I figured, it may be contrary to a strict ideological view but everyone ignores that because it works.

Golbez posted:

A strict anarchocapitalist view of the FDIC is that it encourages banks to be lax on things like security and lending, and of course it also assists the fractional reserve banking system, which they're against. They would be for private insurance, and in fact many would state that a bank without private deposit insurance would have no chance whatsoever in the market (and it would open up a market in deposit insurance; do I keep my money in this bank that offers $250,000 insurance, or this one that offers $500,000 insurance but has an extra few dollars built in to the account fees?), but not automatic, government-managed insurance.

Who would actually be able to insure a bank should it fail besides other banks or the government? If, say, Chase were to fall, what private company would have the money to pay out to Chase's customers besides another large bank like Wells Fargo?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Well first off they equate children born out of wedlock with single parents, which is false. In many cases it's just couples that haven't gotten married yet, but are still together. Even then, single parent children also doesn't mean born out of wedlock either. If the parents divorce or one is dead or in jail, that also creates a single parent home. It's really obvious they're trying to push a "Oh, it's those lazy blacks!" narrative with the racial groups comment, so try pushing back against that. It also ignores many of the ways that old rate was achieved: forced marriages(or in some cases was even used as a way to force parents to allow marriages they otherwise wouldn't), hush hush abortions, pretending it's the kid of a married family member, etc. Finally, he's right about modern American libertarianism, if you are left wing, it is even worse than the alternative we have in the current GOP. It's even more callous towards the poor and minorities, somehow.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

I had someone in my Chinese class try pulling the Taxes are Slavery line. My Chinese class at a public university.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Does anyone have any good resources on Affirmative Action? I was talking to a kid in one of my courses who turned out to actually be pretty bright, and in favor of a lot of things that surprised me for living in rural michigan (increased spending and taxes, universal healthcare, etc.), but he was pretty obsessed with the idea of a meritocracy. What seemed weird is that he didn't want to drat those who didn't get the job, in fact he wanted to expand unemployment benefits, increase the minimum wage, and other things that would make life for people who were working jobs they didn't want to otherwise, but the idea that someone who wasn't "the best" getting a position rubbed him the wrong way.

I delved a bit and it seemed to originate from a time he was talking to an Army recruiter who said something along the lines of "you're a fantastic candidate, but you're a white man, so I can't help you." This reeked of poo poo to me, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was truthful and the recruit was intentionally being a shithead, especially since the kid in question was so honest and candid about everything else we discussed.

I know the gist of it, such as that "the best" wasn't always getting hired (people not wanting to hire qualified women/minorities either because of deliberate or subconscious bigotry) and that having a variety of workers is inherently valuable to an organization/community in a lot of ways, but if there's any strong readings or statistics that could help I'd appreciate it.

http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/emilygreg_0.pdf

Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal?: A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination is always a good study to show why things like Affirmative Action are needed. The abstract:

quote:

We study race in the labor market by sending fictitious resumes to help-wanted ads in Boston and Chicago newspapers. To manipulate perceived race, resumes are randomly assigned African American or White sounding names. White names receive 50 percent more callbacks for interviews. Callbacks are also more responsive to resume quality for White names than for African American ones. The racial gap is uniform across occupation, industry, and employer size. We also find little evidence that employers are inferring social class from the names. Differential treatment by race still appears to still be prominent in the U.S. labor market.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

He didn't start it, but he was the one who signaled that unions would not be getting support at the highest levels of government, or even be actively antagonistic. He also blew up the Air Traffic Controller's union.

Harding literally blew up the UMW with pipe bombs dropped from planes by the Air Force. Well, he tried to anyways, they pretty much all missed or were duds.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Someone on my Facebook keeps posting idiotic "You will literally die of radiation if you swim in the beach in California because of Fukushima" poo poo, does anyone have links to good papers that explain the actual extent of the radiation leaked?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

My personal favorite are the various Yoruban kingdoms like Ile-Ife because they were some seriously fantastic sculptors(Here's a PDF with some examples), but there were lots so it really shouldn't a big problem to find more like the Mailian empire. They tended not to keep written records as much as other empires tended to but the contemporary written records from Eurasian and North African travelers and the archaeological record leave no doubt that West Africa was plenty "civilized".

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

kustomkarkommando posted:

Heres the text

Dug up the voting record. 129 Yes, 3 No and 22 Abstentions.

The No's were the United States, United Kingdom and Portugal (not surprising considering South Africa's role in Angola).

Look at the abstains too, they're almost all Western/Northern Europe.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

There's arguing in bad faith, then there's that. They're clearly not interested in debate or discussion.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Some guy on my friend's Facebook was whining up a storm about how the minimum wage kills teenage jobs, so I dropped the Card study from the OP. For some reason, he suddenly stopped responding despite being quite active in the conversation just a few minutes earlier. So thanks OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Did you ask why he's so in favor of child labor?

Nope. I literally just posted a link to the study and nothing else, and it was my only contribution to the conversation. I was kinda disappointed he didn't even try to argue against it.

• Locked thread