Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

Helsing posted:

Also:

Many of us are not American and do not consider gun ownership a "civil right". I also find the idea that gun control is just some kind of "red herring" bizzare in light of what happened in Arizona and Norway this year. In the Arizona case Loughner was able to use a 33 round magazine to spray into the crowd. It was when he finally had to reload that people in the crowd rushed him and took his gun away. Those clips had been illegal under the 1994 assault weapon ban, but when the ban expired they went back on the market, and they probably played a big role in inflating his number of kills.

I mean, I don't want to derail the thread or whatever, but the idea that limiting the ability of random citizens to kill dozens or hundreds of people on a whim doesn't seem like a 'red herring'. At the very least you should take this post as an indication that there isn't as much consensus on gun control here as you think.
Hey, the 1994 AWB didn't make possession or even sale of large/normal capacity magazines illegal, it just legally prevented any more being sold to non-law enforcement. All the ones then-currently on the market were unaffected except for a rise in cost for some models. So unless you are arguing that spending a few extra bucks would have prevented him from acquiring the 33 rounder, you're pretty much full of poo poo and this is precisely why gun control probably shouldn't be in the OP at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

Helsing posted:

No, I'm arguing that the high capacity magazines should be illegal. So should handguns and automatic rifles, frankly. I don't have much knowledge of the AWB so I'm basing that claim about high capacity clips being illegal on a newspaper article I read. If the AWB didn't actually ban those rounds outright then thats a good example of how the legislation wasn't strong enough. I really have no stake in defending the AWB as a specific piece of policy and I think its telling that your counter argument was basically just a nitpick rather than any kind of substantial criticism.
Oh yes, a "nitpick" to point out that the very law you cited for your Loughner fantasy doesn't even work the way you think it does, and you think that is telling on me? Maybe instead of attacking me for "nitpicking" you should rethink why you hold these opinions if all you are using as basis is some article you read that doesn't even get basic facts right.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

Helsing posted:

I don't think handguns or automatic rifles should be available on demand to regular citizens because they make it far too easy to commit the sorts of massacres that occured in Arizona and Norway this year. I'm not sure why you pointing out that the AWB was actually weaker than the article I read said it was doesn't strike me as a reason to change my opinions on gun control - it really just reflects that the AWB was a laughably weak piece of legislation.

If you want to argue about why its important that citizens be allowed own dangerous killing machines then I'm happy to hear your arguments, but I really could care less about the details of the AWB.
I agree that the AWB was really just a nuissance to legal gun owners, which is why it is laughable that anyone still brings it up (especially in the US) and doubly laughable that someone would actually try to credit it with stopping/lessening a spree killing.

Obviously this isn't meant to be a gun control thread, hell I don't know if gun control threads are even allowed anymore in D&D, so I'm not going to get into arguing against your vague opinion of what "on demand" might mean (I certainly wouldn't apply it to Norway's licensing/storage controls or the controls the US places on automatic rifles (assuming you mean full-autos and aren't referring to semi-autos, in which case it depends on the particular state)). Safe to say I disagree with your opinion that we should kneejerk ban firearms in response to extremely rare tragedies with understandably-high emotions and media coverage attached to them.

• Locked thread