Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Morphix
May 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Perfect thread!

I'm wondering if anyones written about the intersection of 'personal responsibility'* and Jesus. Specifically the appeal to a higher authority whenever something goes wrong and ones own personal responsibility regarding said event. I'm trying to come up with a cohesive way of stating this without resorting to loaded language.

*The conservative view of personal responsibility, "shouldn't have gotten addicted to drugs loser!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

pawsplay posted:

Matthrew 35:21-46

31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. 34 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' 40 And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.' 41 Then he will say to those at his left hand, 'You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' 44 Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?' 45 Then he will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

I'm seriously going to try to memorize this, thanks. What a wonderful little passage.

Morphix
May 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

This is a fascinating thread, that bible quote alone for me is amazing.

If anyone is a web designer and wouldn't mind cooking up some sort of easy to navigate website that has this info, I'll pay for the hosting/design. Anyone interested shoot me an email at szmytkowski@gmail.com 100% serious.

Morphix
May 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Huragok posted:

I'll contribute for free. Caveat: I do .NET / ASP.NET MVC

I don't know what this means, but if you have the time and an idea on some sort of mechanism for others to add links, update stuff. I don't want it to become overloaded with a bunch of poo poo people have to wade through. But it would also be useful to get updated with new info once in a while.

If you have some ideas, shoot me an email. I think it could be a useful resource.

Morphix
May 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

evilweasel posted:

A wiki is a bad idea because it's going to be nothing but trying to win the wiki. I.e. edit wars over "Israel is a modern Third Reich" vs "Israel is the lone democratic nation in a sea of monsters" and the like, or trying to fill it with "This position is wrong, see:" and the like.

I agree, I don't want this to be ruined by a few nut jobs who have agendas. It should be sort of a fact check style setup in terms of editorial setup but about common arguments/themes.

ReindeerF posted:

I'd just set up a Quora/StackOverflow style deal and stick to questions and linked sources. Wikis are great, but a tiny summary and a source would be a great way to avoid the wiki problem of people arguing about phrasing and many people not wanting to learn how to edit a wiki or take the time to do it. There are a number of wordpress themes that are Q&A based, but maybe there's a specifically good app for this.

Wordpress theme might be decent. It kind of sounds like this might end up being a bit larger than install theme and go. I wonder, if maybe we could just have a thread, say this one, where the website acts like a permanent OP and people in the thread can discuss/update the information. That way when a consensus is reached on a certain topic, like in threads the OP get's updated with useful info.

But it also should be colorful, well designed and easy to read. I don't eventually want a 60+pg wall of words that looks like a word doc, as I see this sort of info dump as easily ignorable, like you see in many threads in D&D.

Like I said, my offer for some sort of reward/payment still stands, I'm really interested in trying to start something like this.

Morphix fucked around with this message at Oct 19, 2011 around 17:46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

internaut posted:

It would be absurd to only post links to debate resources and data that support what the majority of D&D already believes, whatever that may be. Posting links to debate resources of all kinds can be useful to different people.

I completely disagree with this point, D&D and the forums in general act as a great filter of information. People love to tear apart people who mis-quote and mis-characterize an issue, there is obvious benefit to this self-correcting within the community.

I'm not envisioning a be-all-end all stop for all things people could possibly 'debate' about, that's what the internet and research are for. What's good about this is that most of the work is already being done, constantly, and it's always being updated through amazing OPs.

And on the second point in regards to all sorts of resources, you risk watering down your journalistic authority by tackling issues that aren't fully addressed like they get in some of these mega-threads, where literally every possible avenue is explored and eventually a consensus is reached. The trolls give up their contrarian fun and we can move onto the next issue.

• Locked thread