Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Morphix posted:

I'm seriously going to try to memorize this, thanks. What a wonderful little passage.

The key sentence in that passage wasn't bolded, but it is when Jesus opens with the phrase he closes with: "Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me." (My emphasis). It's supposed to be the sensmorale, rather than the damnation part and the part about Jesus suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

In this section, add the link to PCPSR. It's the main polling institution in the Palestinian Territories (most of its research are joint european-american-palestinian-israeli projects), and is one of the most valuable sources of information on this subject. They also do parallell polling in Israel together with what I think is Tel Aviv university (through the Ford Foundation?). Anyway, it's the best source if you want to know what Palestinians and Israelis really think and believe (though not exact science of course, as Condi Rice once experienced).

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Bruce Leroy posted:

Jon Stewart did a pretty lovely job in challenging Paul on his assertions, though he did make a few weak attempts and you could easily tell that he wanted to say more but held back. I think Jon is really just hung up by how uncivil, unproductive, and annoying vigorous debates are on other news shows that he holds back so that things don't devolve into shouting matches or arguments.

This is what Jon Stewart is, and why he's a comedian. He once had the brutal then-dictator of Pakistan Pervez Musharraf on his show with nothing but good words for him, that's how politically vacuous the show is. The fact that a lot of people look up to him as some kind of political person is a huge tell about the state of American civil debate.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

V. Illych L. posted:

To be totally fair, both Norway and Iceland were pretty much backwaters up until the post-war period, being pretty much Danish colonies outright up until the Napoleonic war and WWII respectively. Norway got oil to supplement its welfare state, but Iceland's pretty much got there on their own straight away.
Of course, Iceland then unleashed its financial sector completely, and we all know how that went, but calling the foundling states of Norway and Iceland particularly privileged doesn't strike me as very accurate.

Iceland aquired independence from Denmark during the second world war, not in the Napoleonic era. Norway got it before the first world war, from Sweden rather than from Denmark. Norway began extracting oil in any meaningful quantity in the '70s, and in addition it took more than 10 years for the oil project to generate any income at all. By then there already was a well functioning welfare state in place and and a solid economy built upon industry and basically keynsian economics. Iceland is (was in some sense) very rich on resources and was very favourably treated by the U.S. in trade deals (The U.S. used to occupy Iceland, and later stored atom bombs in Keflavik).

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

computer parts posted:

Has there been any concrete proof that Israel is sponsering people to post about downplaying Israeli offenses ala the JIDF?
Even if some paints that picture, the hasbara shill thing didn't start out as some kind of rumour but actually a 2009 government policy programme.

quote:

The Foreign Ministry unveiled a new plan this week: Paying talkbackers to post pro-Israel responses on websites worldwide. A total of NIS 600,000 (roughly $150,000) will be earmarked to the establishment of an “Internet warfare” squad.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/1,...3744516,00.html

Apparently Ynet must've gotten hold of Pieter's application:

quote:

“Where do I submit a CV?” wrote one respondent. “I’m fluent in several languages and I’m able to spew forth bullshit for hours on end.”

• Locked thread