Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«39 »
Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

My HT fronts are 16” deep and 8” wide while most yoga blocks are 9”x6”. Would it be enough just putting one block under each speaker or do I need “full coverage” from 2 blocks per speaker?

Try it with one, and order a second pair if they don’t fit/aren’t stable/look bad?

I got away with one under each 305 and they’re super solid. Not sure what the dimensions are off the top of my head (7.3 x 9.9” so one might be a bit small for your needs. Maybe try putting two on their long side (so that the top surface of each is 9 x ~4ish. They also glue and cut well if you have something like a band saw)

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

isolation pads are pretty drat cheap these days, just saying. I doubt you would save much getting yoga blocks. Don't get me wrong, you would probably pocket 5 or 10 bucks, but eh.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Taima posted:

isolation pads are pretty drat cheap these days, just saying. I doubt you would save much getting yoga blocks. Don't get me wrong, you would probably pocket 5 or 10 bucks, but eh.

Isolation pads are cheaper than yoga blocks from my experience so I really don't understand. I mean who cares I guess? The idea is just having something to absorb vibration, which ain't loving complex.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have packing foam under my subwoofer. It doesn't matter what you use as long as it's soft and won't rattle.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

There's the mass market stuff everyone is familiar with where the standard is "makes sound of some kind"

My MIL hooked up my FIL's speakers today and he is happy as a clam: "AmazonBasics Computer Speakers for Desktop or Laptop PC | USB-Powered - $14.99" https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7TV5J3/

Works perfectly as it's one fewer power brick anyone has to crawl around to fiddle with, ever, and his monitor had 4 spare USB ports on it which we're using solely as dumb power. $5 cheaper to boot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

H110Hawk posted:

My MIL hooked up my FIL's speakers today and he is happy as a clam: "AmazonBasics Computer Speakers for Desktop or Laptop PC | USB-Powered - $14.99" https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7TV5J3/

Did she use yoga mats, or foam, to isolate?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wormil posted:

Did she use yoga mats, or foam, to isolate?

Both, duh.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ddogflex posted:

Isolation pads are cheaper than yoga blocks from my experience so I really don't understand. I mean who cares I guess? The idea is just having something to absorb vibration, which ain't loving complex.

This is a fair point.

KillHour posted:

I have packing foam under my subwoofer. It doesn't matter what you use as long as it's soft and won't rattle.

Oh weird I'm probably showing my naivete here, and I do use and believe in speaker isolation pads, but we've never isolated our subwoofers. Does that depend on if you have certain kinds of flooring? I don't notice any issues in the same way that I do notice, like, a rattling speaker on a desk.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Taima posted:

Oh weird I'm probably showing my naivete here, and I do use and believe in speaker isolation pads, but we've never isolated our subwoofers. Does that depend on if you have certain kinds of flooring? I don't notice any issues in the same way that I do notice, like, a rattling speaker on a desk.

Way less acoustical coupling to the structure of your listening room and building in general. Generally results in happier neighbors and somewhat better sound quality.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Taima posted:

The sub is directly under my desk. It stopped the stuff on my desk from rattling.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I forgot that my speakers actually came with isolation pads:

How should I install them? The round isolation feet that SVS sells screw into the very edges of their subwoofers which would indicate either 1/3/5. They'll be going on a media console.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 27, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

They make feet that shape for acoustics and you find them in all truly high end audiophile speakers in configuration #4. All the other options are look cool but allow the sound waves to stack up under the speaker and cause dissonance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The Studio 530 speakers from JBL are $280 a pair right now. I very highly recommend them for computer use, if you have the desk space and are willing to get a cheap mini-amp and a DAC for them.

https://www.jbl.com/STUDIO+530BK.ht...16900060a1c0e10

e: recent quick review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylaXtBZozRA

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 1, 2020

«39 »