Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Josh Lyman posted:

My HT fronts are 16” deep and 8” wide while most yoga blocks are 9”x6”. Would it be enough just putting one block under each speaker or do I need “full coverage” from 2 blocks per speaker?

Try it with one, and order a second pair if they don’t fit/aren’t stable/look bad?

I got away with one under each 305 and they’re super solid. Not sure what the dimensions are off the top of my head (7.3 x 9.9” so one might be a bit small for your needs. Maybe try putting two on their long side (so that the top surface of each is 9 x ~4ish. They also glue and cut well if you have something like a band saw)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
isolation pads are pretty drat cheap these days, just saying. I doubt you would save much getting yoga blocks. Don't get me wrong, you would probably pocket 5 or 10 bucks, but eh.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Taima posted:

isolation pads are pretty drat cheap these days, just saying. I doubt you would save much getting yoga blocks. Don't get me wrong, you would probably pocket 5 or 10 bucks, but eh.

Isolation pads are cheaper than yoga blocks from my experience so I really don't understand. I mean who cares I guess? The idea is just having something to absorb vibration, which ain't loving complex.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have packing foam under my subwoofer. It doesn't matter what you use as long as it's soft and won't rattle.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

There's the mass market stuff everyone is familiar with where the standard is "makes sound of some kind"

My MIL hooked up my FIL's speakers today and he is happy as a clam: "AmazonBasics Computer Speakers for Desktop or Laptop PC | USB-Powered - $14.99" https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7TV5J3/

Works perfectly as it's one fewer power brick anyone has to crawl around to fiddle with, ever, and his monitor had 4 spare USB ports on it which we're using solely as dumb power. $5 cheaper to boot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

H110Hawk posted:

My MIL hooked up my FIL's speakers today and he is happy as a clam: "AmazonBasics Computer Speakers for Desktop or Laptop PC | USB-Powered - $14.99" https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7TV5J3/

Did she use yoga mats, or foam, to isolate?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wormil posted:

Did she use yoga mats, or foam, to isolate?

Both, duh.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ddogflex posted:

Isolation pads are cheaper than yoga blocks from my experience so I really don't understand. I mean who cares I guess? The idea is just having something to absorb vibration, which ain't loving complex.

This is a fair point.

KillHour posted:

I have packing foam under my subwoofer. It doesn't matter what you use as long as it's soft and won't rattle.

Oh weird I'm probably showing my naivete here, and I do use and believe in speaker isolation pads, but we've never isolated our subwoofers. Does that depend on if you have certain kinds of flooring? I don't notice any issues in the same way that I do notice, like, a rattling speaker on a desk.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Taima posted:

Oh weird I'm probably showing my naivete here, and I do use and believe in speaker isolation pads, but we've never isolated our subwoofers. Does that depend on if you have certain kinds of flooring? I don't notice any issues in the same way that I do notice, like, a rattling speaker on a desk.

Way less acoustical coupling to the structure of your listening room and building in general. Generally results in happier neighbors and somewhat better sound quality.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Taima posted:

The sub is directly under my desk. It stopped the stuff on my desk from rattling.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I forgot that my speakers actually came with isolation pads:

How should I install them? The round isolation feet that SVS sells screw into the very edges of their subwoofers which would indicate either 1/3/5. They'll be going on a media console.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 27, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They make feet that shape for acoustics and you find them in all truly high end audiophile speakers in configuration #4. All the other options are look cool but allow the sound waves to stack up under the speaker and cause dissonance.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The Studio 530 speakers from JBL are $280 a pair right now. I very highly recommend them for computer use, if you have the desk space and are willing to get a cheap mini-amp and a DAC for them.

https://www.jbl.com/STUDIO+530BK.ht...16900060a1c0e10

e: recent quick review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylaXtBZozRA

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 1, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5 Monitors and a focusrite audio interface. But I do a lot more listening to music than producing...well much of anything. So the bass is really too low for listening, even on the highest bass setting (I have it only +2 LF level adjust and -2 HF level adjust). Is it best to just add a subwoofer? If so any specific type/brand? I have both my computer and turntable connected to them, and a JDS labs headphone thing to control volume on both.

Also can anyone explain the main differences between monitors and speakers? does it have to do with the kind of frequencies that are harder or easier to hear?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 6, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5 Monitors and a focusrite audio interface. But I do a lot more listening to music than producing...well much of anything. So the bass is really too low for listening, even on the highest bass setting (I have it only +2 LF level adjust and -2 HF level adjust). Is it best to just add a subwoofer? If so any specific type/brand? I have both my computer and turntable connected to them, and a JDS labs headphone thing to control volume on both.

Also can anyone explain the main differences between monitors and speakers? does it have to do with the kind of frequencies that are harder or easier to hear?

The answer is always a subwoofer. What is your budget?

Monitors are generally for near-field (close) listening, like at a desk. They're called that because sound engineers "monitor" the audio from a control room.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KillHour posted:

The answer is always a subwoofer. What is your budget?

Monitors are generally for near-field (close) listening, like at a desk. They're called that because sound engineers "monitor" the audio from a control room.

Ohhhh I thought monitors were for music production specifically, whereas speakers were for listening. Honestly I'm either at my desk or within 5-10 feet of the monitors when listening, so maybe it's fine?

There's definitely stuff that has enough bass. Maybe I just don't notice it always because I listen to a lot of ambient :p

I was going to go on craigslist if I ever get anything so not sure what my budget would be. Maybe what I have is actually okay given your reply. Am I correct that maxing the LF level adjust will give the most bass?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Monitors are generally used for professional production and so tend to have features and qualities useful for that market. But they don't have to be.

As far as "amount" of bass, the Rokits are pretty bassy, probably more than something more neutral like a Yamaha, but they still won't hit the really low notes because a 5" driver is limited by physics. Making the bass louder isn't going to help you here - you need a bigger physical speaker to reproduce those.

As far as brands, the Polk stuff (PSW10 and PSW505) are decent and cheap. SVS stuff is expensive, but top of the line. Klipsch and Elac are middle of the road for both price and sound.

Here's a good review:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-cG6IrmcPHPS/learn/best-powered-subwoofers.html

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 6, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

OK thanks. What does the high and low frequency adjustment do then?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

actionjackson posted:

OK thanks. What does the high and low frequency adjustment do then?

It acts as a simple equalizer, allowing you to boost or attenuate those frequencies, but it won't affect frequencies the speaker is physically incapable of reproducing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is it similar to how the filter on a synth works?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Is it similar to how the filter on a synth works?

It just boosts or cuts the signal on a given range of frequencies. It's literally the same as a bass/treble knob on an old boom box.

Feel free to play with it, but you'll probably get clipping if you put it in the >0dB range because most music is mastered to be as loud as possible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hello PC Speaker Goons:

I just bought these brand new on sale from Best Buy:
Z533 Multimedia Sound System

and I am super-super bummed. Not only does the right speaker sound all rattled and blown out (never used?), but they are maybe half as loud as my old Logitech PC speakers I’ve had for 9 years (which are unfortunately dying).

So I am asking you fine folks: once I return these pieces of crap and get my refund, where should I look for high quality desktop speakers? I wanted to reward Logitech for making such a great set of speakers that lasted me nearly a decade, but the build and quality for these brand new ones really soured me.

I listen to a ton of metal and electronic beep-womp music, and game and watch a ton of movies too, so I want crisp sound that can get loud and bassy.

My initial budget was under $100 but once I get my refund I think I’d be willing to go higher if it means the quality is there. I’m very much out of my element here and have no idea what is good or what brands can be trusted.

Please help audio goons, my beats just ain’t boomin’!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Bust Rodd posted:

Hello PC Speaker Goons:

and I am super-super bummed. Not only does the right speaker sound all rattled and blown out (never used?), but they are maybe half as loud as my old Logitech PC speakers I’ve had for 9 years (which are unfortunately dying).

So I am asking you fine folks: once I return these pieces of crap and get my refund, where should I look for high quality desktop speakers? I wanted to reward Logitech for making such a great set of speakers that lasted me nearly a decade, but the build and quality for these brand new ones really soured me.

I listen to a ton of metal and electronic beep-womp music, and game and watch a ton of movies too, so I want crisp sound that can get loud and bassy.

My initial budget was under $100 but once I get my refund I think I’d be willing to go higher if it means the quality is there. I’m very much out of my element here and have no idea what is good or what brands can be trusted.

You can’t beat Edifier or Swan for value for money. Excellent quality too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Hello PC Speaker Goons:

Give us a budget dude. How much are you willing to spend? What space constraints you got? Any aesthetic considerations/preferences?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Finding myself having to turn down the bass on the mixer to the 305P mk2s (or whatever) this morning to be conscientious

they bump and get plenty low for the room, don’t be afraid of going 2.0 with these guys (bigger is prob better tho)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ok Comboomer posted:

Give us a budget dude. How much are you willing to spend? What space constraints you got? Any aesthetic considerations/preferences?

Up to $200 I guess? Was hoping for ideally $120-$150 but perhaps more if it’s a good deal.

I have a glass and steel desk for my computer and just want some desktop speakers with some oomph. I keep the sub under my desk. My last speakers were between 6-8 inches tall and that was a nice size but I could go bigger

I don’t really care what they look like but black or white would be best

Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Up to $200 I guess? Was hoping for ideally $120-$150 but perhaps more if it’s a good deal.

I have a glass and steel desk for my computer and just want some desktop speakers with some oomph. I keep the sub under my desk. My last speakers were between 6-8 inches tall and that was a nice size but I could go bigger

I don’t really care what they look like but black or white would be best

Thanks!

How big’s your sub? Or is it of the integrated/proprietary kind?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bust Rodd posted:

The 1280 Edifiers @$99 is really hard to beat and not far off what you spent. You might want a sub though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wormil posted:

The 1280 Edifiers @$99 is really hard to beat and not far off what you spent. You might want a sub though.

I’d spend that on refurb Soundsticks 3 (or $140 new) + a modi/Magni/Sys/Bluetooth dongle/whatev (don’t get the ones with built in Bluetooth, it suucks)

Audioengine A2/A2+/A2+BT, maybe spend more and get A5s

JBL LSR 305mk2s or the new affordable line of Adams + some kind of cheap pre like a Magni and/or Sys.

A receiver/amp+ some neat small bookshelves. Can go vintage and small starting at free-$50 all the way up to $150 for speaks. Amp can be free-$100 for something used to new all the way up to the sky.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d spend that on refurb Soundsticks 3 (or $140 new)

Those are all good options they cost a lot more. I recommended the 1280's because they sound fantastic for $99 speakers, very clean, and it's only $20 more than he spent on the Logitechs.

Are the Soundsticks actually good? I was watching a review of them last night and people say they are good but people also say Creative speakers are good. The refurb Soundsticks III are out of stock everywhere I looked including HK store and new ones are $200. Where did you find them for $140? Only ones I found in that range were used on ebay.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Audioengine A2/A2+/A2+BT, maybe spend more and get A5s
JBL LSR 305mk2s or the new affordable line of Adams + some kind of cheap pre like a Magni and/or Sys.

Sure but it's a big step up in price, $250+ vs $99.

Ok Comboomer posted:

A receiver/amp+ some neat small bookshelves. Can go vintage and small starting at free-$50 all the way up to $150 for speaks. Amp can be free-$100 for something used to new all the way up to the sky.

Incidentally a neighbor gave me (and by gave I mean he set it on the curb) an outrageous Panasonic bookshelf system from the 90's and I love it. The stupid flashing lights and digital eq, super nostalgic but there are no inputs and the Edifiers sound better and go louder without distortion. The Panny has more bass and more volume but distorts quicker. The best thing though is the cheesy light show.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s been a minute but from memory the soundsticks I heard sounded like pretty standard 2.1 computer speakers—nothing to write home about.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wormil posted:

Sure but it's a big step up in price, $250+ vs $99.
Still a big jump but you can save a lil bit on refurbs, $200 for A2+ and $223 for the wireless one...when they're in stock. If they're anything like when I got them years ago they regularly come back in stock if you don't mind waiting a bit.

But speaking of $99 options, anyone heard anything about these PreSonus ones? Whenever I look for small speakers on a whim those seem to come up along with the Edifiers and Mackie CRs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bout to drop this POS off at Best Buy for my refund but this is approximately the size of the subwoofer I would like. I listen to a lot of trap and rap and dubstep and it matters.

I’ve only ever bought speakers that came with a sub before, is that not a good way to do it?

I don’t have a sound card or anything fancy, I was going for a plug-and-play set up, but could be convinced to spread my wings and fly!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 12, 2020

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I bet you wouldn't need a sub with the LSR305. The Logitech sub isn't much of a sub tbh. More of a way to add bottom end w
For the speakers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah plus cheap subs are just total garbage vs even a low-mid tier sub in the $300-400 range. Imo get something worth it or just rely on the native bass. There’s nothing wrong with that.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Lowness 72 posted:

I bet you wouldn't need a sub with the LSR305. The Logitech sub isn't much of a sub tbh. More of a way to add bottom end w
For the speakers.

I used to use some Energy bookshelf speakers and an accompanying subwoofer. Having more recently moved that out to my living room and bought a set of LSR305 for use in my room, I can say with confidence that they handle bass pretty well. Objectively the frequency response rolls off pretty sharply around 40~50hz (depends on the size, the 5" versions roll of closer to 50hz, 8" version dips closer to the 40hz mark), so you don't get that room shaking, chest thumping bass you can feel, but there's still plenty of audible bass that sounds great. If you HAVE to have that level of bass, there's a subwoofer (LSR310S) to pair up with them and easy to integrate. The only catch is the sub by itself is $400, compared to $250~400 for a set of the LSR305, which can nearly or actually double the price for a relatively small addition to what you hear. Might be worth it to some, but it wasn't for me.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
I'm also looking to replace a Logitech 5.1 system and torn between some options. I've been looking at the AudioEngine A5+ and the Kanto Yu6. My budget is $400 because that's how much they are but I'm probably going to wait for a sale. I plan on using them at my computer desk for gaming, music, and watching videos.

Here's my thoughts:
AudioEngine:
- has a class AB amp which is apparently clearer than Kanto Yu's class D, but uses more power and generates more heat.
- Bluetooth version costs extra, no phono pre-amp.
- Seems more popular and I found a used one for a good price.

Kanto Yu6:
- Has Bluetooth and phono pre-amp for same price ($400) as A5+ non-BT version.
- I would use the BT and phono connections if I had them.

I guess I'm leaning towards the Kanto's because of the extra connections, but I'd love some advice. Thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Goddammit, when will I learn not to trust Wirecutter reviews..

Because I am an inveterate cheapskate knucklehead, I saw a friend's Bose Bluetooth silver speakers that was the size of a banana, and said, gee I want that.

When I saw the cost of the Bose, I said nuh-uh, and looked for alternatives.

I got the Tribit XSound Go as it was Wirecutter's budget pick. Cost about $35, it has good sound and the battery supposedly lasts a while, BUUUUTTTT...

- The packaged manual states it's a BT 5.0 device. Everywhere else says it's only 4.2.

- No loving battery meter and it doesn't support Bluetooth battery level reporting. The only way I know it's full is when the LED clicks off..

- Online reviews says the bass drops out at 80% volume. My unit, it dropped out more like at 60%!

- The charging cord (USB-C to USB-A) is so short I have to prop the speakers up on an old Amazon box.

- It has massive buffering issues, if I try to pair the speakers to a live Internet video feed, whatever I'm watching after a minute or so becomes a badly dubbed HK action flick where the audio sync is all over the place.

These speakers might be better for non-video applications, like dumb speakers for a phone or something, they're deffo not good as PC speakers.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw that they have a firmware update that you have to contact support for to fix the audio sync issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Most of those review sites these days are just trying to get you to click their Amazon links so they can get paychecks, the reviews themselves are shallow. Unfortunately Amazon encourages that behavior because of all the rules they have for affiliates.