Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kcncuda71 posted:

I just wanted to mention that running the audioengine 2's with onboard sound created issues with low frequencies. So I bought their D1 DAC and that fixed all the issues. I also really like their DAC it's about 3" long, 2.5" wide, and 1" tall. Basically its really small and creates a really nice sound out of the speakers. Plus it doesn't require external power(just a class A usb cable) and has a headphone jack and composite audio inputs.

They are supposed to be releasing the A2+ (A2s with DAC built in) but its been months since it was leaked. Im surprised its taken so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Laserface posted:

They are supposed to be releasing the A2+ (A2s with DAC built in) but its been months since it was leaked. Im surprised its taken so long.

Any chance they'll stick a DAC in the A5+?

It would be fantastic if they did, but I could see why they wouldn't. It makes sense to put a(n admittedly less capable- if the 16 bit rumors are true) DAC in the A2s because there's a much bigger emphasis on minimalism and space-saving along with cost. Most A2 buyers probably wouldn't want to spend another $150 on a third box. With the A5+ all they'd be doing is cannibalizing potential market for the external DAC they started selling last year. And for a flagship product, they'd have to go with 24-bit or risk pissing people off.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 4, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I found a use for the Lepai amp I'm not using anymore, these cheap transducers (while they're still in stock):
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=309-149
http://www.amazon.com/SoundPax-Exciter-Virtually-Anything-Speaker/dp/B00BIO7IYI
(Shipping appears cheaper through Amazon)

Stuck two of these under a table in the living room (particle board it looks like), works surprisingly well. Just need to get a Bluetooth receiver and I'll have a table that makes music wirelessly. Ordered a few more just cause they're cheap, might as well make other random objects around the house make sound.

Could be fun to mess with if you don't have much space on your desk but have an amp and just need something better than internal speakers. Or you could make your own little panel speakers if you're not lazy.

Edit- just realized I have an AirPort Express nearby, just need a 12' audio cable to turn this thing into an AirPlay table.

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 8, 2013

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I was going to ask what's needed to hook up the A2s but it sounds like you can hook them straight to the onboard sound. That or a DAC but I don't know what that is.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KingKapalone posted:

I was going to ask what's needed to hook up the A2s but it sounds like you can hook them straight to the onboard sound. That or a DAC but I don't know what that is.
DAC is the fancy schmancy pars-pro-toto name audiophile oriented vendors use to sell audio interfaces, aka external soundcards.

More generally in that context it denotes a dedicated device that takes a digital audio signal (via optical, coaxial, usb, firewire) and converts it to an analog signal at line level (or headphone level). Purely functionally, think of it as the same thing as onboard sound, but in a small external box.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I guess this is the place to ask this.

So I opened up my computer for the first time in a while yesterday. Vacuumed some dust out of it (I expect someone might tell me this is dumb, though I've read conflicting advice on this). When I booted up again my M Audio Delta 2496 card, which has always been a bit problematic, wouldn't work, no matter how many times I reinstalled drivers etc.

My question is not how to get it to work, but rather how to circumvent the issue. I have an AMD high definition audio device and VIA HD Audio (mobo is an Asus P5QD Turbo). I assume the former is for outputting sound via my ATI Radeon's HDMI output. Since I want to connect to a pair of Creative speakers (Gigaworks T20) I assume the latter is my best option. It seems the outputs are the sockets on the same panel as the keyboard/mouse/USB/mic sockets, where there are bass, front, rear and side sockets (black, green, orange and grey). There is also an SPDIF output there. The Creatives have a single 3.5mm input.

How do I get a stereo sound output to the Creatives via the mobo's onboard sound (which I assume is the VIA Audio)? I've been looking around on Amazon and can't find any appropriate cables, and Google has not been my friend so far on this.

Edit: This seems the only viable option so far. Would that work? Or are my speakers incapable of receiving an optical input?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 15, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

How do I get a stereo sound output to the Creatives via the mobo's onboard sound (which I assume is the VIA Audio)? I've been looking around on Amazon and can't find any appropriate cables, and Google has not been my friend so far on this.
Your speakers can't work with optical input.

But you don't need special cables. You just plug the speakers into the 'front' output hole. It's the green one, just like the input on the back of your speakers.

There's probably a tray icon for something called VIA HD Audio Deck where you can configure that all surround sound sources should be downmixed to stereo. This might be as simple as specifying that your setup has only two speakers, if I'm reading the screenshot here right. In the screenshot there's an orange button marked 6 and you'd want to have the grey one left of it marked 2 selected.

By the way, something you still can try with the M-Audio Delta card, is to plop it into another slot on your motherboard. There's a small chance that makes a difference.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Flipperwaldt posted:

Your speakers can't work with optical input.

But you don't need special cables. You just plug the speakers into the 'front' output hole. It's the green one, just like the input on the back of your speakers.

There's probably a tray icon for something called VIA HD Audio Deck where you can configure that all surround sound sources should be downmixed to stereo. This might be as simple as specifying that your setup has only two speakers, if I'm reading the screenshot here right. In the screenshot there's an orange button marked 6 and you'd want to have the grey one left of it marked 2 selected.

By the way, something you still can try with the M-Audio Delta card, is to plop it into another slot on your motherboard. There's a small chance that makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply. Currently I'm using a red and white phono to single 3.5mm lead. The phonos obviously aren't right for what you're saying - would I then need 3.5mm to 3.5mm?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Thanks for the reply. Currently I'm using a red and white phono to single 3.5mm lead. The phonos obviously aren't right for what you're saying - would I then need 3.5mm to 3.5mm?
Yes. Amazon suggests one would have been included in the box the speakers originally came in.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes. Amazon suggests one would have been included in the box the speakers originally came in.

Probably. Had 'em a few years and have moved house since, though. Sure I've got something in my cable tangle. Looks like I'm set, in any case. Might try moving the sound card to another slot too, just out of curiosity. Thanks again.

edit: And we're away!

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 15, 2013

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012
For 2.1 setup I recommend Logitech Z-2300 (unfortunately discontinued). Z623 seems to be a successor in terms of power. No comment on quality, though.

Audio Quality Certification: THX certified
Total RMS Power: 200W [FTC Rated Power]
System THD: Better than 0.05% before clipping
Total Peak Power(RMS): 400W < 10% THD
Power distribution: 120 W (Subwoofer) + 2 X 40 W (Satellites)
Subwoofer: 120 W @ 8 ohms @ 10% THD @ 100Hz
Subwoofer Size (inch): 8
Subwoofer Type: Long throw
Satellites: 80 W (2 X 40 W) @ 8 ohms @ 10% THD @ 1kHz
Satellite Size (inch): 2.5
Satellite Type: Polished aluminum phase plug driver
Frequency response: 35 Hz - 20 kHz
Signal to noise ratio(SNR): @ 1kHz > 100dB
Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 117db
Subwoofer dimensions(HWD): 11" X 11" X 15"
Satellite dimensions(HWD): 6.75" X 3.5" X 6"
Total weight : 15 Kg

Have been using these speakers for a few years now.

Only two complaints

1. Volume control potentiometer starts to deteriorate (result is hissing noise while adjusting volume).
2. Volume/power/bass wired control unit is not user serviceable and not easily replaceable (no part number and no ordering possible).

Full review with unboxing and such: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Speakers/Logitech-Z-2300-The-Last-of-the-Titans-Review/td-p/500830

AtmaHorizon fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 17, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aren't those discontinued though?

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

powderific posted:

Aren't those discontinued though?

They are. Thanks for bringing this up.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They also sound pretty terrible.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Purchased some Audioengine A5+'s with the foam angled riser things. they sound good own their own but even better when I decided to add my Jamo 10" sub to the mix. Holy loving poo poo, gobs of bass.

The remote and sleep modes are nice additions too. highly recommend these speakers.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I need some inexpensive speakers for my pc. I play with headphones 99% of the time but I would like to have some small desktop speakers for watching videos on youtube, playing non audio intensive games and general browsing. I need something that sounds decent at low levels, if I want loud I'll just put my sennheisers on. Most importantly I need something that doesn't take up very much space as my desktop space is extremely limited. I'd like to stay under $100.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Logitech's offerings are supposed to be pretty decent and they can be had for not much money at all, if all you want is a set of stereo speakers that can keep up with Youtube and the like.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Logitech's offerings are supposed to be pretty decent and they can be had for not much money at all, if all you want is a set of stereo speakers that can keep up with Youtube and the like.

Youtube and low volume gaming with stuff like hotline miami, minecraft, garys mod and a bunch of indie games. I guess in all honesty just about any decent brand of speaker should work for what I want. Right now my backup option to my headphones are the speakers built into my Acer monitor which is a trebley nightmare.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I've got an Acer monitor too. The built-in speakers will do for mail notifications and the like, but that's about it.

Really, just about any set of active speakers will do. And you can get some really really cheap sets if there's a deal on:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Logitech-...gitech+speakers

They don't even need a separate power supply, they're USB-powered.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I bought a set of Edifier C2XD 2.1 speakers recently and have been pretty happy with them. Not what I would call small though. I wanted a set with a wireless remote for relatively cheap and came across this set that fit the bill. I'm no audiophile so I don't have any way to really judge the quality of the sound, but they seem nice enough to me. First day I had them I thought they sounded a little reedy but after a couple days of use they seem to have loosened up and sound good to my ears. Only 35w but I wasn't looking for the ability to deafen my neighbors and they get plenty loud enough for PC speakers as far as I'm concerned. Out of the box the bass was set a little high for me, but a few adjustments to the bass/treble levels and I got it where I wanted it.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Anyone have any experience with the cyber acoustics 3602 or altec lansing 2621? Im still undecided on speakers but these 2 get mentioned a lot. I would go the mini amp/dayton route but the speakers take up too much room for my desk. Are there any other speaker options that are like 1/2 that size without breaking the bank?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
On Parts Express I just filtered down to the smaller woofer sizes here:
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/bookshelf-speakers/99?kg=789%7C2224,2225,2650

...but I have no clue how any of them sound. They sell through Amazon too, and they seem to do cheaper shipping if you buy through there (on the other hand PE has coupons regularly), and there tends to be more customer reviews there if you're looking for that. There's also more in general on Amazon, like it suggested these while I was looking up some of the PE stuff. I figure there's a bunch out there, it's just a matter of having to do some more research to see what might be good or not.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend a good $40-60 set of 2.0 or 2.1 speakers? I realize that's not a very good budget to work on, but this is for a pal who has no interest in having anything more than something that plays sound and isn't $15 WalMart speakers.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Some Logitech Z313 speakers would probably be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000382-Z313-Speaker-System/dp/B002HWRZ2K/ref=zg_bs_172471_10

Pretty well reviewed, about $40, and Logitech's Z series stuff is generally pretty decent from my own experiences.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

Can anyone recommend a good $40-60 set of 2.0 or 2.1 speakers? I realize that's not a very good budget to work on, but this is for a pal who has no interest in having anything more than something that plays sound and isn't $15 WalMart speakers.

Is the '$30 Daytons + $25 Lepai amp' combo still recommendable?

Also- I'm sure that most people get this and would simply rather not deal with the downsides and inconveniences but almost any receiver/stereo amp from the last 40 years paired with some run-of-the-mill bookshelf speakers kicks the poo poo out of probably 90% of the dedicated 'PC audio' market.

I only bring it up because I'm sure that the best answer for a lot of people looking for a "dirt cheap but still decent" computer audio setup is just a rummage through an attic away.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Lepai T-amp:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300

Monoprice speakers:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=8250&seq=1&format=4#feedback

A bit of wire and you're good to go.

For what it's worth, I'd still rather hunt down a pair of Pioneer sp-bs21-lr or 22 speakers and pay the extra $60-90.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

How do the monoprice speakers compare to the daytons?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is the '$30 Daytons + $25 Lepai amp' combo still recommendable?

Some of the people who originally raved about them say they now have problems. They sound fine to me though, and I know for certain I have the newer production line people are bitching about. But I also listen to my music with ears, and not by looking at frequency graphs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Might as well mention this, I got the Pyle version of that Lepai a little while back, the PFA200:
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PFA200-60-Watt-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0071HZ5EQ

It seems a little better, like construction wise the knobs feel a bit more solid, and doesn't pop (or not as noticeably) on power on/off or cut out like the Lepai sometimes did on me...but they're in completely different setups so it's not a direct comparison. I have the Lepai powering two transducers stuck to the bottom of a table while the Pyle is powering two transducers and two speakers in my arcade cab. If nothing else the Pyle came with its own branded power brick vs the Lepai coming with a Vonage one :confused: (it was straight from Amazon too!).

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I have a 150 dollar window. I need good speakers for listening to techno/trance. Recommendations?

edit: Output source is integrated sound from a Asus Z87M PLUS mobo.

z06ck fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 28, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

z06ck posted:

I have a 150 dollar window. I need good speakers for listening to techno/trance. Recommendations?

edit: Output source is integrated sound from a Asus Z87M PLUS mobo.
Is this just for sitting in front of the computer or for a larger space/more listening range too?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

japtor posted:

Is this just for sitting in front of the computer or for a larger space/more listening range too?

Only in front of the computer, yes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

AtmaHorizon posted:

For 2.1 setup I recommend Logitech Z-2300 (unfortunately discontinued). Z623 seems to be a successor in terms of power. No comment on quality, though.

Have been using these speakers for a few years now.

Only two complaints

1. Volume control potentiometer starts to deteriorate (result is hissing noise while adjusting volume).
2. Volume/power/bass wired control unit is not user serviceable and not easily replaceable (no part number and no ordering possible).

I've had the Z-2300 for close to 10 years with no regrets and no complaints. Although looking at that photo...it needs a good cleaning and dust-blowing session.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

z06ck posted:

Only in front of the computer, yes.
Well the general theme of the thread is bookshelf speakers and an amp...so I guess that? Hob_Gadling mentioned some stuff in his post a few above, and if you need smaller speakers I found some a few posts above that (granted with the caveat that I don't have experience with them).

I have Audioengine A2s (which should be getting updated at some point), the refurb price is $160 so just barely outside your range. They're small and have nice sound, but some people prefer more bass than they can provide. Kind of depends how boomy you like your sound.

Then there's the usual desktop stuff which the audio people consider poo poo, while many have no problem with them, and there's a wide range of stuff these days so ymmv there v:shobon:v.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Haven't seen these JBL monitors mentioned in this thread, so I thought I'd show them some love.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PYK1BS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a pair of these a few weeks ago for my computer and I can't describe how happy I am. These things are incredible. Note that the price is for 1 speaker, not a pair, but it's still a hell of a deal if you ask me. They were an upgrade to my m-audio AV40's and there's really no comparison at all. The AV40s were like toys compared to these.

Paired them with an Audioengine D1 DAC and I can't imagine wanting anything more. There is also a matching 10" sub you can get, but really, you don't need it. The low end these things produce on their own is almost unbelievable for a 5" woofer.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

japtor posted:

I have Audioengine A2s (which should be getting updated at some point), the refurb price is $160 so just barely outside your range. They're small and have nice sound, but some people prefer more bass than they can provide. Kind of depends how boomy you like your sound.

As an opinion, when I ordered my A2s, I was expecting to have to get a sub. They've been fine, they actually do more bass than I expected. I don't like boomy, though. These are perfect for really punchy techno and such. Great for gaming. Very responsive. I've probably already posted I love these things like 10 times now.

The new update coming is the A2+, which will have the D1 DAC built into them. I also have the D1 DAC as well, and it's pretty decent for a DAC. It also has the volume knob, so that's a plus. (The speakers do also, but it's on the back of the left one.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Philthy posted:

The new update coming is the A2+, which will have the D1 DAC built into them.

Have Audioengine actually come out with any more information on that aside from those trade show pics? I've heard on more than one occasion that the A2+ isn't actually going to be produced, but there hasn't been an official word on the matter in one direction or the other AFAIK.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Have Audioengine actually come out with any more information on that aside from those trade show pics? I've heard on more than one occasion that the A2+ isn't actually going to be produced, but there hasn't been an official word on the matter in one direction or the other AFAIK.

They were supposed to be available in March/April and I guess we're long past that. I haven't heard one way or another, so maybe they did ditch them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Thanks guys, I was using a vizio sound bar as my computer speakers until it got commandeered for TV duty. Picked up a Lepai LP-2020A+ and a couple of those Daytons mentioned in the past few pages. Sounds good to me excepting the lack of serious bass and the amp's treble and bass controls don't really do anything, but I'm not working with a subwoofer so :toot: good enough for me and cheaper than getting the same sound out of a set of computer speakers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

signalnoise posted:

the amp's treble and bass controls don't really do anything
They should though. Did you push in the Tone button to enable them?