Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

CIGNX posted:

Anyone use amps and home theater speakers for their computer setup? I just got a $20 Lepai amp hooked up to some leftover speakers and it is astonishing how good this ghetto setup sounds (especially compared to my A2s). I'm curious if there are really good amps and speakers combos for computer use, in particular smaller amps and speakers.

I just went with that Lepai amp, combined with these Dayton B652 speakers. It'll primarily be my desktop setup at work, but I'll use it when I go on vacation too, hooked up to my phone or laptop.

The speakers are scheduled for delivery today, and the amp is on backorder until early March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My new Lepai Amp + Dayton Speaker combo. I'm incredibly pleased for $60. The sound is clean and detailed and the 6" speakers produce a nice punchy bass.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 8, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

n0n0 posted:

I'm looking to spend about 50 or 60 bucks for some small desktop speakers. At the moment, I'm looking at these Creative T20s but they're a leeeetle bit more than I was hoping to spend.

I'll just be using them for casual gaming. I'm tired of wearing headphones all the time. My ears get too hot.

I also recommend getting the setup I went with. Read reviews on the combo and I bet you'll be sold.

I ordered everything off https://www.parts-express.com. The speakers come with speaker wire so the only other thing you likely need is a Y-split RCA cable / 3.5mm cable to connect your computer/iPod/phone to the amp.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

japtor posted:

The Lepai was kind of like a "well it works :effort:" thing for me. Mine came with a Vonage power brick (I'm not the only one going by some customer reviews) and gave a pop on power on with the speakers I used (from a JVC 2.1 setup), and I think needed to be above a certain level for sound to come out of both speakers, but ultimately they worked fine otherwise. Well the bright rear end volume LED could get annoying but I assume that could be easily disconnected.

My speakers pop when turning on the amp too. Is this a bad thing? Are there substitute power supplies I should look at? Aside from the popping of the speakers, what effect would it have on the audio quality?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

japtor posted:

Tangentially related to the A2 chat, anyone have suggestions for passive speakers in the same size and quality range? I'd like some small decent speakers for a TV don't want to deal with the whole volume knob in the back thing (or just lack of a remote controlled setup). P4s look nice but they're bigger than I'm looking for.

I...have no clue. I remember seeing threads about people opening up the amps and replacing various parts (like this 142 page thread :psyduck:), but hell if I know details on what causes what with this stuff.

Yeah people like modifying the amp since it's so inexpensive to start with. I admit its intriguing, but I have a hard time not lumping it into the same type of behavior that results in elevating speaker cable 1" off the floor to eliminate harmonic dissonance or whatever.

The PSU it came with is 12v 2A so I wonder how much, if any, a small increment will deliver.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is the '$30 Daytons + $25 Lepai amp' combo still recommendable?

Some of the people who originally raved about them say they now have problems. They sound fine to me though, and I know for certain I have the newer production line people are bitching about. But I also listen to my music with ears, and not by looking at frequency graphs.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Speaking of LSR305 -

I'm considering replacing my Dayton B652 with the LSR305 but I'm a little confused by the connections needed for a simple connection to my computer.

These connecters are recommended, but will I need two of them?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Copying this from the quick audio questions, since it is computer related:

quote:

I just redid a bunch of cabling with my desktop computer and my audio is acting strange.

My audio is handled by a pair of powered JBL LSR305 speakers, connected via XLR cables to a JBL Nanopatch volume controller. The Nanopatch has a 3.5 cable to the green line-out audio jack from my desktop computer.

I am getting sound through the speakers, but if I turn the volume on the Nanopatch down all the way, I can still hear audio coming from the speakers, albeit at low volume . If I mute the Nanopatch, the volume cuts off. I have the volume slider on Spotify is about 1/3 full and if I slide it up, the volume is very loud. My computer volume slider is at 80/100.

It wasn't like this before, and I have no idea what has changed. Any ideas?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Doesn't it seem weird that it coincided exactly with a shuffling of my peripherals?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Stingwing posted:

Your Nanopatch is probably dying. You might be able to fix it with compressed air or contact cleaner or something, but otherwise you'll probably need a new one. This is a known issue that some people have with them.

me your dad posted:

Doesn't it seem weird that it coincided exactly with a shuffling of my peripherals?

So I wound up buying a new volume controller. I bought a Behringer Monitor1. Unfortunately the same thing is happening.

The Input Sensitivity on my speakers is set to -10dBv. The LF Trim is at 0 and the HF Trim is at +2dB. The volume is currently set to 8/10 on the speaker volume knob.

With those settings configured on the speakers, I cannot turn the volume all the way down using my Behringer volume control. If I turn down the volume control knob on the speakers to 3/10, it brings the sound to a minimum when dialed down on the volume controller, but then I cannot turn it up past a very quiet spot.

Thinking perhaps it was something with my main PC, I also tried running my 3.5mm cable from my work laptop to the Behringer, but the same thing is happening.

This leaves only the speakers as the possible cause, right? But what would cause them to suddenly act weird? I didn't make any changes to their settings when mucking about with my system the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

me your dad posted:

So I wound up buying a new volume controller. I bought a Behringer Monitor1. Unfortunately the same thing is happening.

The Input Sensitivity on my speakers is set to -10dBv. The LF Trim is at 0 and the HF Trim is at +2dB. The volume is currently set to 8/10 on the speaker volume knob.

With those settings configured on the speakers, I cannot turn the volume all the way down using my Behringer volume control. If I turn down the volume control knob on the speakers to 3/10, it brings the sound to a minimum when dialed down on the volume controller, but then I cannot turn it up past a very quiet spot.

Thinking perhaps it was something with my main PC, I also tried running my 3.5mm cable from my work laptop to the Behringer, but the same thing is happening.

This leaves only the speakers as the possible cause, right? But what would cause them to suddenly act weird? I didn't make any changes to their settings when mucking about with my system the other day.

I am loving dumber than dumb.

I realized this morning (accidentally) that I had the 3.5mm cable and the speakers plugged into the Output. Turns out I accidentally put the 3.5mm in the output, when it needs to be in the Input :doh: