Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
What's the best way to add a subwoofer to my M-Audio AV40s? Also what would be some good recommended subwoofers that go well with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

vaginal cramps posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my Logitech Z-2300 to a quality 5.1 setup for games and music.

My price range is up to $500

I have looked at some Klipsch sets but I'm not sure if any of their lower end setups are a good value.

"Multimedia" speakers designed for PCs suck at 5.1. Probably your best bet is the Logitech Z906 but really, if you need 5.1, you ought to go with a HT setup.

Edit: Beaten. Btw the Klipsch set you linked are passive and would need a receiver.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

signalnoise posted:

Maybe loving around a little bit more than that, I don't really have that kind of money. Looking at similar form factor to the A2's and the Mackies, do you guys know if the M-Audio AV30's are decent?

The AV30 are nowhere near as good as the AV40.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Jose posted:

I've been asked to find a high quality microphone and speaker by work for use on skype calls because the one we've got isn't particularly good. Something that is relatively portable and can plug into a laptop. The problem is that while I can find what look like good speakers the quality of the microphone seems harder to determine and thats the important bit. Any recommendations?

Will a separate microphone have echo problems?

All mics will work better with headphones to prevent feedback. To reduce echo probelms, look for mics with cardoid pickup patterns. Most podcasters/streamers use microphones by Audio Technica or Blue.

Lowness 72 posted:

Cross-posting form the Quick Questions thread:

I've had a pair of M-Audio AV-40 powered studio monitors for the past couple years and I'm thinking of upgrading.

These would be used for my desktop PC. I have a pretty big desk so size isn't a dealbreaker. I have a basic Schiit stack, but don't intend to upgrade to a full amp so I think I'd like to stick with the powered monitor approach.

These would not be used for mixing/mastering. Just for music / gaming. I'm also not looking for a subwoofer (2.1 system) because I live in an apartment building.

Budget is ~$500 - with wiggle room if it would be worth it.

Things I've considered:
Audioengine A5+
JBL LSR 305
M-Audio M3-8 (I know this is closer to $700 but I've liked my AV40s alot)

I've also heard ELAC might be coming out with a powered monitor soon as well?

Anyway - thoughts on what I should get? Thanks!

The A5+ actually sounds worse than the AV40. Go with the LSR305 for sure.