Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

How dumb of a buy are the Simple Audio Listens at the price that Massdrop has them at?

I'm mainly looking for a pair of speakers for general music/games on my computer, and I hear the Listens are great for that, but it would also be nice to have Bluetooth party speakers for when people come over and I want to put on some music without loving around with more than one wire while moving them. Also, $150 seems like a lot, even if they supposedly retail for ~$500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I have a pair of Simple Audio Listens that I bought probably 5 years ago for around $170 USD on Massdrop. I don't have any complaints about their sound quality or volume (I'm not the most discerning when it comes to sound in general though, yet they're plenty loud and clear throughout my room), but they do tend to shake my desk when they're playing something particularly bass forward and they're rather large on my desk. I was wondering:

- Are these speakers actually well regarded? I bought them when Linus Tech Tips was the extent of my knowledge of "audio" reviews and didn't realize threads like this existed as a resource.
- If they aren't, how much would a "worthwhile" upgrade of a pair of smaller profile speakers and a dedicated subwoofer cost?
- If they are/there's little reason for me to spend money on replacing them aside from their physical profile, would picking up a dedicated sub and putting it on the ground alleviate the shaking, and what are the subs I should be looking at in their respective price break points?
- In general, what are decent USD price break points for computer speakers that are clear, maybe a bit bass forward, and loud/clear enough for a roughly 13'x13' room?

Sorry if the questions seem scatterbrained - I've got a little more experience with headphones due to commute and open office environments, but I haven't had to think about computer speakers since I bought these.