Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the current recommendation for a set of 5.1 surround computer speakers?

I had a set of Logitech Z-5500 surround speakers that lasted over a decade but they died due to a lightning strike a few years ago. I replaced them with Logitech Z906 and it's died after only a couple years (specifically, the subwoofer that all the other speakers route through has developed a dead channel ).

Is there a set of high quality surround speakers that'll last me for a long, long time? I want a set of speakers that I won't have to replace for a decade or until the next lightning strike. I don't want to drop $250 on another set of Logitechs that'll just die in a couple years -- I'd rather buy something in a higher price bracket that's more reliable and has better quality.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

powderific posted:

PC speakers have seemingly moved away from surround sound so I don’t think you have a ton of options unless you roll your own with a home theater setup or a bunch of self powered monitors. Otherwise it’s another set of logitechs or something similar. If you’d be OK going stereo, there’s plenty of options, though I don’t have a great sense of which ones might last you a decade.

Yeah, maybe I just want to roll my own. Is there a good consensus "home theater" pc "receiver" ? I like surround sound for games, but I'm really disappointed in the quality of the Logitechs -- if I'm gonna spend $250 for poo poo that doesn't last I might as well spend twice that and buy something that's real quality. It's not like speakers are technology that changes, I still have a pair of antique Advent loudspeakers from the 1970s that function perfectly fine .

It's tempting to eyeball something like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779GRFWF?tag=highlightreviews-28750-20&th=1 but realistically I think I could probably keep using the actual speakers I have, they're fine, it's just the subwoofer they all thread into that's busted.

EDIT:

I think I might go by this article here: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/soundbar-vs-surround-sound-system/ unless someone has some better suggestions.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 7, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I relocated the control pod and now it's gone. It was next to my wireless router before, probably the culprit. That or it was directly underneath the TV before.

Yeah, that's just weak shielding on the wires causing interference most likely. When I was a kid the logitech speakers on my Pentium would sometimes pick up the police band.