Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

So, the A2's sound like the best as per recommendations from this thread, but is there anything sub-$250 that's worth the money that also comes with a receiver?

I've been looking at some Onkyo and Samsung deals but it seems like the speakers are mostly garbabe. I'm living with a 70's Akai receiver and80's denon speakers that are...adequate but wholly unreliable but I want some 2.0's or something to replace / add to the whole setup that are both reliable and sound better.

Is this too much to ask for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Accessories4less.com has A/V receivers starting from $109. Get one of those and any pair of speakers you want with the rest?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1312/DENON-AVR-1312-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Thanks for the suggestion...I will definitely get something like this to replace my 70's akai receiver.

Got some A2's as well due to recommendations from this thread and because I have an audioengine retailer close to where I live.

They sound great, as long as they are aimed directly at my face. I'm impressed by the non-subwoofer'ed base, but they aren't a replacement for a real sub, of course.

They definitely sound better turnt up with the bass down slightly. They are actually the clearest speakers I've ever heard but I haven't heard much, admittedly.

One thing to consider, one speaker is passive and the other is powered and won't work unless it's plugged in, so if you are going to plug these into a pre-existing system I'd recommend to go with P4's.