Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Can I get a recommendation?

I've had a set of Harman/Kardon Soundsticks II for a number of years, but during several moves the speakers have been damaged and there's a constant, low buzzing sound.

In any case, I'm looking to get a replacement. Basically, I'm looking for equivalent sound, while the design is nice, but not a must. I know very little of audio, but I figure that the design is part of the price of the Soundsticks, so is there an option that is just as good for cheaper?

I've been looking at various 'best desktop speakers' guides. Audioengine A2+ and Bose Companion 2 Series III both keep showing up. I've always had a 2.1 system, so I'm loathe to just go to stereo, but again I don't know a lot about audio so it's plausible to me that they're just as good. Logitech G560 also gets a lot of praise and is half the price of the Soundsticks.

Aeble fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

powderific posted:

How much space do you have? The JBL 305p are the main thread recommendation and they're both a world better and often $200 for a pair on sale, but they're also quite big. I find the AudioEngines pretty satisfying. They don't have the same thump as a 2.1 system but sound enough better in all other regards to be an upgrade (to me.) For something cheap, people seem to like the Edifier 1280. I've been toying with the iloud micro monitor, but that's mostly because of space constraints and I'm not sure it's the right move outside that.

I have a good amount of space on my desk (and room for the subwoofer beneath), though looking at the specifications they do look like they would be pretty commanding. I guess I should decide between those and AudioEngines, then.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Audioengines are great. If you just want new Soundsticks you can also get the Soundsticks III for $150 new and $99 refurb from Harman. There’s also a Soundsticks Bluetooth model that is, I guess, sorta the “Soundsticks 3.5/4” for like $100 more but the Bluetooth implementation is the horrible always-pairing kind that will apparently pair with random peoples’ devices as they go by your home/office. You’re better off adding your own passive pre/Bluetooth dongle/etc.

Im also 90% sure you can also send your current set back for repair/replacement if you reach out to Harman. Harman Group is really really good about providing replacement parts and repair support for their consumer products.

Thanks!

I can't find Soundsticks that cheap on Amazon or Harman Kardon's own website; the Soundsticks III is 250£ (and also out of stock). And also all with bluetooth. But if I can get the speakers replaced for cheaper than buying the set of AudioEngines, I should probably do that. (I *think* the subwoofer is fine, so that should be OK). I'll try getting in touch with customer support.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Harman was indeed very fast at replying, but unfortunately they did not have the parts in stock. They directed me to another service center, but I decided to simply get the AudioEngine A2+ for a quicker solution to save my ears from the buzzing of faulty speakers. Thanks for the recommendation!

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Rolando posted:

I would recommend JBL 305 Mk2 as well, got them last year and they beat any previous speakers I had, great performance to price ratio. I had to get a small 50W Yamaha subwoofer to get satisfactory deep low end though. If I would be buying again I would probably get 308 instead for extra oomph and skip a subwoofer. Do note that just like reviews and others in this thread said the speakers have a quiet hiss coming from the tweeter when not playing anything. It can be noticeable at times, some people are more sensitive than others.

I just got them and can definitely feel the lack of the subwoofer. That aspect is a bit disappointing right now - I'll probably look to get one to supplement them. Sounds great, though, and they look nice. I'm kicking myself that I could just have gotten the JBLs and probably wouldn't have the subwoofer issue (?), but I'm also happy that they don't look monstrous on my desk.