Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you appreciate audio at all just start piecing together a real 4.1 system. (5.1 is pointless for PCs).

Like, you think your ATX case has lasted for a ton of builds, a decent audio setup will last twice as long. The only reason I haven't been using essentially the same 5.1 system for the last 15 years is because:

1. No one initially told me to do this so I bought a dumbass $300 PC system.

2. After replacing the dumbass system, 2 years later I decided that my bookshelves were too big and went with a more convenient size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Knowlue posted:

I'm looking for something more I guess

I'd suggest IsoAcoustics but I'm guessing they don't meet your relatively cheap metric because I think even the cheapest set is close to as much as your Swans. I can't remember which ones I have, either the $89 or the $109 ones.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I know it is being throttled big time.

What do you think is being throttled, exactly

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I've navigated it to the point where I am outputting correctly on the receiver, it is just wildly difficult. If my wife wants to use it is is a maze of button presses and verifying sound fields etc.

This makes me think you either don't have it set up properly or it is actually broken. Switching from one input to another should not involve "a maze of button presses and verifying sound fields etc."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There's nothing wrong with a good ported 8" sub, they're great for a computer setup or a small/apartment living room.

Av123 used to make a nice ported 8" called the X-sub which was great. I'm sure the ones made by Klipsch/PSB/Polk/etc are decent they're just not cheap. When most people think of small subs they think of the $20 2 pound piece of poo poo that came with their Creative Labs 2.1 system they don't think of $300 home theater 8".

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

powderific posted:

Didn’t they go out of business cause the founder somehow ran fundraisers for kids with cancer and then just kept the money? I have a pair of bookshelves from them I really liked and then they disappeared.

YEP. Mark Schifter.

He ran a ton of fundraisers for all kinds of poo poo and none of them (or nearly none of them) ever saw a dime, it all went into maintaining the company and his lifestyle. IIRC one of the few charities that actually ended up getting the money (like the very first one or two he did) it turned out he deducted and kept the full retail price of the speakers he raffled off.

One of them was for a dude that posted on the forums whose daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and he never got any of the money but also I don't think he ever really spoke up about it until the whole shitshow was already crumbling down, thinking he'd get the money sooner or later. I asked him "Why'd you even let him do the raffle you're upper middle class what's the worst situation you coulda been in you're out 5 grand for a yearly out of pocket insurance max isn't it kind of gross to be an upper middle class charity case?" and he was like "I never asked him to do the raffle."

The total amount of charity fraud ended up being way into 6 figures IIRC. The amount the he stiffed suppliers and advertisers and component manufacturers was probably into the 7 figures.

Made some pretty good equipment for a while though. I used one of their small 5.1 systems as my PC setup for a while.

They also had a poo poo ton of QC problems late in life though. Tons of subwoofer amps making GBS threads the bed within weeks or months of delivery. Tons of B stock because the south american place they switched to couldn't figure out how to apply veneers right, after nobody in China would deal with him because he wouldn't pay his bills. Stuff that people had preordered and prepaid thousands of dollars for just never materializing for years.

A poster on Audioholics named Chu Gai was a big part of taking him down IIRC.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 25, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A search of chu gai and audioholics has this at the top of the results. This is nowhere near the start of the saga but probably encompasses the end. I'm sure there are posts from me in the thread but it was so long ago I don't really remember all that the thread contains.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/updated-mark-l-schifter-pleads-guilty-to-suspicion-of-charity-fraud.63537/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What makes you think those are overkill? The 4 inch woofers?

Spending $45 for a sub and two satellites is how you get more Logitech crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Vanatoos are what I had decided to go with but then decided to repurpose an old receiver and just buy some bookshelves.

So I haven’t heard them but they seem pretty universally praised.