Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

hellfaucet posted:

Hey I was hoping some of the Audioengine A2 owners could post some feedback about them after extended use. I'm really looking to get rid of my junky Creative 5.1 system and reduce the amount of clutter on my desktop, but hesitant pulling the plug on a $200 set of 2 unless they really are that stellar. These will be my primary computer speakers, I'll be using these really just for music and games. Main questions I have:

1) Have you had any issues with the tweeter or woofers blowing? If so, did you have an OK experience with Audioengine's customer service?
2) Did any of you get stands to go with them? Read reviews stating that they sound better if not directly placed on your desk.
3) How loud are these little guys? Can they pack enough of a punch to play in one room and listen in another?

I've had mine for 2+ years now, Use them for everything; music, games and video. I've also connected them to a TV for movie watching a couple times.

1. No problems, I don't listen to anything too loud, the A2's vol is usually left at 50%.
2. I don't think they even had stands when I bought mine. My desk does start to vibrate if I turn it up so I was thinking of making something for them, but :effort:.
3. I can get them loud enough to hear though my entire (small) house, its old so the walls are thin though.

Overall they where a good purchase, my previous Logitech 5.1 set was terrible and I just don't seem to like headphones/buds. Plus my desk is small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

I think I confused you..

first off, maybe I shouldn't have used "drive" in the context of the active a2's..

Basically, the HTPC is the source for everything. It's running to a desktop monitor and the a2's, and then from there it'd also be running to an HDTV as a second monitor and receiver/3.0 setup with that TV..All in one room..So i'm wondering,

a) i'd like to get something that is a little better then the onboard dac on the PC, so is there a soundcard that I should be looking at?

b) is this feasible? i realize that the system will see 5 speakers total, but i have no idea if it's possible to assign them to displays i.e. anything playing on display two uses only speakers ABC as LF RF and C...I'm ok with only using one source at a time if that's a compromise needed...

edit: It seems like the best I can do for this setup is make the a2s the system default as output #1, then configure just XBMC/MCE to use only output #2 (the tv's 3.1)...so that just leaves the question of which sound card will be the best for this and what's the best way of connecting (analog vs digital output)

Soundcards are pointless unless you are doing audio work. A dedicated card might be better shielded against feedback, but it might not, most built-in solutions are good these days. If you're using digital its all pass-through to the receiver and unused anyway. Asus has the Xonar line of cards, I heard there are good but no idea on specific models.

Go digital if you can, HDMI or SPDIF.

You could use the receiver for output switching, run everything off the HTPC's HDMI connection and switch between the A2s and the 3.0.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

How should I set the various volumes? There's the PC vol, the app's vol (if it has one) and the speaker/amp's vol.