Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Hob_Gadling posted:

The Behringers are an interesting choice. On paper they're good but I keep hearing how they cut corners in manufacturing, leading to constant small problems. Buyer beware. For what it's worth, when they work they sound nice. Wouldn't use them for professional audio work however.

I think thats a bit of a myth that comes from their old DJ mixers like DJX700, which was a cheap copy of the industry standard DJM500 from Pioneer. One of the reasons why DJM500 was an industry standard was because it was built like a brick poo poo house and could survive the most incredible abuse like years of knob twidling by stoned plonkers tipping spliff ash into the channel/cross faders and general wear and tear caused by gigging.

Well the Behringer didn't quite live up to the standard of the mixer it was aping so they got flak for it and their other cheap 2 channel mixers which were predictably inferior to Pioneer's smaller offerings and those of Vestax et al.

They also developed a decade old reputation for making cheap clones of well known gear and have been sued several times by Pioneer and Aphex Systems so word got around that Behringer was a knock off company. Perhaps it is not entirely undeserved but mud sticks and that rep hounds them, even when their stuff is good.

Their Truth monitors are decent but they are big and powerful like alot of desktop studio monitors. They are designed to be used at close distances but in reasonably large, open rooms and probably on a meter bridge or something because all the trim pots are on the back of the speaker. In that respect its similar to my Dynaudios which have power on/off and trim switches on the rear of the monitor. If you have an unhappy accident and something is too loud, you don't have a panic button to smash within arms reach when going around kmixer. Its assumed all volume control is handled on the console (which I don't have!).

For various reasons my Dyns live permanently in rented studio space. I don't use them at home since they go obnoxiously loud and they sound like rear end in small rooms with no controlled acoustics anyway. Mixing is far more effort than its worth. At home I use headphones mainly but I can make do on a mini hifi system or anything that has actually been designed for use in a very small room with buttons on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Am I missing something with those graphs? The frequency response charts appear to show a D/A to A/D conversion stage with a sampling rate of 44.1khz and bandwidth miles higher than 50khz.

What tha gently caress is going on there? It should be less than 22khz.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 22, 2012